Owner told to quickly repair sinking boat – environmental damage feared

webfact

Owner told to quickly repair sinking boat – environmental damage feared

By The Nation

The owner of a sinking garbage boat near Koh Phi Phi in Krabi was told by harbour officials on Monday to fix it as quickly as possible amid fears it would pollute the water.

The boat, Chachandee, which measures 23x4 metres, slipped off its anchor at a bay in front of Koh Phi Phi in Tambon Ao Nang, Muang district on Sunday and was carried by the tide to rocks, which cracked its hull, causing the water to pour in.

The owner told officials his workers had been draining water from the boat and attempting to patch up the hole since Sunday evening.

Surasak Mongkolchaisit, a harbour official in Krabi, said the man was instructed to speed up the repair job speedily amid fears that if the boat sank, its oil would severely damage the corals in the area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340721

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-12

Agree Jak very well put,of course it will just sink as the owner right now will be wieghing the cost repair against any fine he may get,while no marine expert i would suggest the repair would cost significantly more than a fine so it will slip under dispersing it's filth to add to the other seaborne garbage in the area.

In a nutshel, the captain of this boat dropped the anchor, ignoring his own boat depth plus at least 1 meter for security, didn't take the tide move into account ( all this being basic seaman knowledge) all resulting in a big hole in the hull ( what a surprise!!!!! ).... which local admin contracted this high scale professional ??? Who checked their capabilities?? In any half developped country, both captain and owner would be in jail and accountable for immediate boat rescue costs to avoid pollution... here they just "give orders" to (quoted report text)"speed up the repair job speedily" 

Am I awake or do I dream ???? 

Lets hope that the boat is salvagable. No one needs to go to jail. But there needs to be accountability.

I have seen more than a few boats every year sink in chalong. I am always impressed by how the thai manage to raise the boats using a sand bar in the middle of the bay.

Maybe the owner should remove the oil and diesel. First job .Geeze doesnt anyone have a brain in charge of this place. Or are they all in stupidity like i recently read about here on tv

Archived