Salary of Thai police

jackdd

Read it and weep MF.  

Under the Article 44 order, the Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the fine money to traffic police.

Apologies accepted.

Edited by Rally123

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nothing.  You would have the honor of being the only the third person on Thai Visa who proved me wrong. 

So you think yerself smart. Well prove me wrong and I'll apologise.

4 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

So you think yerself smart. Well prove me wrong and I'll apologise.

That is the Russells teapot - He wrote that if he were to assert, without offering proof, that a teapot, too small to be seen by telescopes, orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, he could not expect anyone to believe him solely because his assertion could not be proven wrong.

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think you lost that one marcus ????

The poster wrote, " Official fines, ones where a ticket is issued, the police receive 95% "  But his quote refers only to Department of Land Transport will get 5 per cent of each traffic fine and pass on the rest of the fine money to traffic police.  I believe the intent of the law was to deprive the big wigs at the Land Transport office from keeping the money from the police department and not individual police officers as the poster was implying.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30309980

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe

That is what you believe and it is wrong. If you are still not convinced then go ask a policeman. I did being as I too was doubtful regarding the 95%. The officer confirmed it and told me that the monies is given to them, by the government, and then pooled with other officers who are office bound.

Now away you go and get your facts right before you get back on your high horse.

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Your comment about this is totally bogus and untrue.

Any legit ticket is recorded and when a person pays the fine they get a receipt.

At the end of the day, the budget officer must match those receipts with the monies taken in. In Pattaya it can easily be 100,000 + b in one day.

Then, each day the monies are deposited directly into the Thai government treasury at the bank.

At the end of each month there is a small reward given to officers based on their productivity.  But, it is not a large amount as some might think.

So, get your facts straight as you are flat out wrong....

The post is not totally inaccurate.  You say they receive a "productivity bonus" which sounds like another way of saying "commission".  I don't think it is 95 percent goes to the officers but my understanding was that commissions are paid up until the officer receives 10000 as a result of these commission which may explain their often over exuberance in fining for trivial things.  As per matching receipts does anyone think they are providing receipts when they ask 10000 to get someone off a dui?

7 hours ago, Rally123 said:

That is what you believe and it is wrong. If you are still not convinced then go ask a policeman. I did being as I too was doubtful regarding the 95%. The officer confirmed it and told me that the monies is given to them, by the government, and then pooled with other officers who are office bound.

Now away you go and get your facts right before you get back on your high horse.

Your quote says money goes to traffic police not the individual policeman fining the person.  I think this is where you are making an error.  

Do they get a commission from all of the fines in the department?  I think they do but I don't know.  What is fairly obvious is you have quoted nothing that says the policeman issuing the ticket gets the fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 12:13 PM, Tchooptip said:

So as retired expats we must show immigration yearly the amount of a 3-star army general' salary...I get back in my good graces :biggrin:

There are many honest Thai Police men/women living very comfortable and beautiful happy family lives. They are not all 3-star army generals.

I have 3 friends in the Royal Thai police.

Their ranks are

1. Chief Superintendent พ.ต.อ

2. Chief Inspector ณ.ต.อ

3. Deputy Commissioner พล.ต.ท

I used the first two as a reference for applying for Thai citizenship, and they had to state their salaries. They were about 50k and 36k.

The deputy commissioner would be on around 70k, but probably doesn't even think about that little cash. To get to this rank, you are already very rich.

There was a good article about this issue in the Sunday Newspaper a few years back. Also I did some work a few years back with the Thai Police and what they said matches what was in the article.

A new policeman gets paid basically the minimum wage (did not specify which branch of the police but assume common city variety). The Bangkok post said it was 9,000THB per month for a new policeman.

They have to provide their own guns, bullets, uniforms, transportation, fuel and even the stationary for writing reports etc. Never mind paying for day to day living, they were FORCED to be corrupt just to carry out the semblance of doing their job.

As absurd as the above sounds I am quite convinced that it is true. If you have paid a ton of money to be a Regional Police chief or whatever then you need to be making money from many sources including sale of uniforms, stationary etc.

I have long been of the view that this situation has been allowed to happen so that the Police are forced to be corrupt, the public hates them and then they are no threat to Army rule.

An excerpt from the article published in the paper that may not be mentioned:

Police officers earn an average of 14,760 baht per month but junior positions pay much less, between 6,800 and 8,340 baht, and officers have to buy their own guns and even office supplies”

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

An excerpt from the article published in the paper that may not be mentioned:

Police officers earn an average of 14,760 baht per month but junior positions pay much less, between 6,800 and 8,340 baht, and officers have to buy their own guns and even office supplies”

If cops want a "hi-so" gun the Gov pay half...In LOS there are many departments where the pay scale can be very different..

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 11:13 AM, transam said:

Our lad (Border Patrol Police) started on 16000bht which soon went up to 18000bht, but he gets additional pay every time he is given a job. So I think it may be a gray area regarding actual pay...:smile:

Not including the 5% they get paid for every ticket by the DLT, that gets processed.

I think it should be high enough anyway to protect overall country from bribes and other bad things which power law organ like police can do. In 3rd world countried it's not that much which leads to crazy life situations over time. Have you had any "experience" ? Share please!

On 3/12/2018 at 5:32 PM, dallen52 said:

Internal investigation branch would have a field day looking at the accounts of many officers. 

Possibly spending and accumulating more than twice the annual salary paid... ?

You would be surprised how little the additional perks really are

if you want an effective police force pay them well. New Orleans, USA under paid police and they were not good. In fact, 30 out of 37 trainees were convicted felons. Pay police well and they will serve better

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, ebean001 said:

if you want an effective police force pay them well. New Orleans, USA under paid police and they were not good. In fact, 30 out of 37 trainees were convicted felons. Pay police well and they will serve better

If you pay peanuts then you get monkeys.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:20 PM, tlandtday said:

Then why can thai nurses be okay and earn less than police?  The corruption is so deep here and so ingrained in their culture you could pay them triple and you would have the same problem.

How much do Thai nurses earn? 

6 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Fair comment but as a rough guess? Between.........what & what

I have spoken to some Nurses that are on 8000 baht  a month some a bit less some a bit more depends on specialty. Depends on what they do,