Salary of Thai police

jackdd

On 3/14/2018 at 9:13 PM, Lacessit said:

The penalties for making a false statutory declaration in Australia are quite severe, including jail time. However, it would appear  Australian authorities don't care if a false one is submitted in any other country - only if it is made to an Australian instrumentality.

Not sure how you reach the conclusion  that the Aus Authorities don't care

A Stat Dec is exactly that even in Aus the person certifying the signature is not required to obtain proof from the person making the declaration that the content of the document is

factual

I would have thought that the onus is on the Thai Immigration to require the person seeking for example the retirement extension to provide proof of the income

They do not however and are happy to accept a document signed by the embassy

I take my bank statements every year and they are not interested

We all know the system is corrupt and they obviously don't want it tightened up for obvious reasons 

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

Not sure how you reach the conclusion  that the Aus Authorities don't care

A Stat Dec is exactly that even in Aus the person certifying the signature is not required to obtain proof from the person making the declaration that the content of the document is

factual

I would have thought that the onus is on the Thai Immigration to require the person seeking for example the retirement extension to provide proof of the income

They do not however and are happy to accept a document signed by the embassy

I take my bank statements every year and they are not interested

We all know the system is corrupt and they obviously don't want it tightened up for obvious reasons 

Well, if the people doing the consular outreach visits cared about the truth of the Stat Dec, they would ask for proof, wouldn't they? And refuse certification if it was not provided.

I've done the same - taken the previous year's tax return. Neither the consular officials nor Thai Immigration were remotely interested in seeing proof.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Well, if the people doing the consular outreach visits cared about the truth of the Stat Dec, they would ask for proof, wouldn't they? And refuse certification if it was not provided.

I've done the same - taken the previous year's tax return. Neither the consular officials nor Thai Immigration were remotely interested in seeing proof.

Unfortunately you are missing the point they are not required to check on whether the contents of the stat dec are truthful just as a person certifying in Australia isn’t required.

Early last year the Thai Immigration ask them to check it lasted about a week and they were overruled by Canberra

I don’t disagree with your point as I don’t rort the system but many do as an example there is a person who advertises on this site offering to obtain the retirement extension without funds

Also there are things that go on within the Immigration system that are not right.

Quite frankly I wouldn’t worry about it because it will change nothing

I comply with the law in all areas and sleep ok at night suggest you do the same

11 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Unfortunately you are missing the point they are not required to check on whether the contents of the stat dec are truthful just as a person certifying in Australia isn’t required.

Early last year the Thai Immigration ask them to check it lasted about a week and they were overruled by Canberra

I don’t disagree with your point as I don’t rort the system but many do as an example there is a person who advertises on this site offering to obtain the retirement extension without funds

Also there are things that go on within the Immigration system that are not right.

Quite frankly I wouldn’t worry about it because it will change nothing

I comply with the law in all areas and sleep ok at night suggest you do the same

Perhaps I have missed the point. However, I'm wondering why dire penalties are threatened if no one in officialdom is willing to actually check the contents.

I understand the fee for depositing funds for retirement extensions on behalf of an impecunious retiree is in the vicinity of 30,000 baht. That's an annualised interest rate north of 20% - nice work if you can get it. It does explain why many do the income letter instead.

Like you, I comply with the law. IMHO that's preferable to wondering when the other shoe is going to drop.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps I have missed the point. However, I'm wondering why dire penalties are threatened if no one in officialdom is willing to actually check the contents.

I understand the fee for depositing funds for retirement extensions on behalf of an impecunious retiree is in the vicinity of 30,000 baht. That's an annualised interest rate north of 20% - nice work if you can get it. It does explain why many do the income letter instead.

Like you, I comply with the law. IMHO that's preferable to wondering when the other shoe is going to drop.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, Lacessit said:

Regarding the penalties for false Stat Decs they are used so commonly in Australia such as in some industries stating that you were sick in lieu of a medical certificate that you would need an army to police them.

I really think it’s case of the appathy that pervades Australia society these days of nobody really cares as long as “ I’m alright Jack”

The only case I recall of a person being prosecuted for signing a false Stat Dec was the case involving Justice Einfield in NSW several years ago relating to him claiming on a couple of occasions someone else was driving his car through I think a speed camera, the person actually was deceased !

He actually went to jail I think again from memory the charge was

“ perverting the course of justice”

So if the judiciary are rooting the system  what hope is there?

Regarding the figure you quote I have heard something similar.

Such is life.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Regarding the penalties for false Stat Decs they are used so commonly in Australia such as in some industries stating that you were sick in lieu of a medical certificate that you would need an army to police them.

I really think it’s case of the appathy that pervades Australia society these days of nobody really cares as long as “ I’m alright Jack”

The only case I recall of a person being prosecuted for signing a false Stat Dec was the case involving Justice Einfield in NSW several years ago relating to him claiming on a couple of occasions someone else was driving his car through I think a speed camera, the person actually was deceased !

He actually went to jail I think again from memory the charge was

“ perverting the course of justice”

So if the judiciary are rooting the system  what hope is there?

Regarding the figure you quote I have heard something similar.

Such is life.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, dallen52 said:

Interesting to say the least.

Does it say about them buying their own guns and bullets? 

Uniform etc. 

My wife's friend is a plod in Pattaya and said he started on 14,000 a month. 

Did the above. 

They gave him the bike license and pistol license. 

No training in road law, safety, or human psychology. (ok, stop laughing). 

And the uplines  say when he has to go and reap the quota towards month end.. Ka ching... 

But OK to do. Because the Thai people think that they are doing a good job, and poor salaries. 

So can ask for donations to help. 

And I thought that when a Thai man didn't want to work, he just became a monk. 

Silly me.. 

It is quite plausible that the big boys pay for the positions,  but he would not say anything about it. Haha 

KInd of all over the board,  yes?

• 4 months later...

The salary is whatever can be extracted from the franchise. They are revenue collection agents so their income is entirely dependent on their creativity. 

The government is complicit. They deliberately pay them low salaries in exchange for the franchise. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

For every legit ticket a policeman issues they receive 95% of the ticket value. The monies is then pooled with other, non active, officers in the station. Fact. The remaining 5% goes to government coffers.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

The salary is whatever can be extracted from the franchise. They are revenue collection agents so their income is entirely dependent on their creativity. 

The government is complicit. They deliberately pay them low salaries in exchange for the franchise. 

You have a link to that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

You have a link to that?

That would be funny, if it were not so sad. A link to something proving that the Thai police are poorly paid? Or a link proving that the government condones the corruption, or at the very minimum turns a blind eye to it?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, dallen52 said:

Does it say about them buying their own guns and bullets? 

Uniform etc. 

I have heard it said on many occasions that the BIB have to provide their own guns and ammo.  Is this true or just an urban myth?

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I have heard it said on many occasions that the BIB have to provide their own guns and ammo.  Is this true or just an urban myth?

My colleague,

(not sure how to describe him?)

Says that they have a central armoury in Pattaya. 

Like anti riot gear.. 

But standard issue gear is limited. 

When he started in special operations he had to pay for the gear etc..

He was recruited from bike taxis.

(The eyes and ears of Thailand).

Maybe why there's so many guns around?

Cops who leave the service. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Think they issue crap guns but our lad just bought a Glock 17 where the gov paid half...

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 2:35 AM, ericthai said:

Not just police positions.  My wife's uncle was a teacher when the position of principle came up. He applied, he had to pay over 1 million baht to get the position.  I said to my wife why would he pay so much it will take forever to get it back. She said no, when someone doesn't pass the entry exam test, they pay him a fee and the child gets in. I;m sure other top govt positions are available this way too.

yeah sadly i have heard the education system is also very corrupt with principles and upper management at schools driving benz... also very lucrative is many own the cafeterias as well... pathetic

• Like 1

yes i have heard the police operate like franchises but I had a gal whose brother was in the Thai army and he did not make a lot of money and I asked her about corruption and she said not the soldiers... I think for the average soldier this may be true...

• Like 1

Speaking from experience. Wife ex Bangkok police.Small Arms instructor.

Depending on rank and area. 20.000 baht approx. Some have to buy thier own motor bikes uniforms and Guns. The top men buy thier area. I think the Big man in Pattaya paid about 20 million a few years ago. Things are changing a lot of good police around now. Don’t belive all you here or read about them. 

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, get your facts straight as you are flat out wrong....

You need to check your facts and apologise. The fact that police receive 95% of fine issued, which is then pooled between others, is one million percent correct. It has been quoted on TV a couple of times now and been proven correct with links posted. Now you go get your facts straight.

18 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

You need to check your facts and apologise. The fact that police receive 95% of fine issued, which is then pooled between others, is one million percent correct. It has been quoted on TV a couple of times now and been proven correct with links posted. Now you go get your facts straight.

You may be referring the 'bribe' a proportion of which they get to keep and share with other's from their station - the % varies from station to station, province to province etc. 

Official fines are handled differently and go into the treasury. 

BTW: Percentages run up to 100 :passifier:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You may be referring the 'bribe' a proportion of which they get to keep and share with other's from their station - the % varies from station to station, province to province etc. 

Official fines are handled differently and go into the treasury. 

Official fines, ones where a ticket is issued, the police receive 95% of that fine which is pooled. The remaining 5% goes to the government coffers. Give me 24 hours and I'll show you the link to prove I'm correct. No problem. From another forum.

My apologies MtD. You are right and I am wrong. The police do indeed get 95% of the fines they ticket people for. Unfortunately they do not get the 95% straight way and have to wait for the government to pay them. Then they don't get to keep it all as they work in teams and it's shared. In the large cities they're on a lot of money. 
Due to the fact the '95%' monies has to be waited for they do take tea money because it's cash in hand and they don't generally share. 
In the villages they don't like to rock the boat being as they live within the community. Also they are worried about crossing the wrong people leading to the possibility of reprisals. 
I got to talking with a policeman today and that's how he summed it up. Cheers.

Just the start. I'll get the link tomorrow.

Edited by Rally123

12 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Official fines, ones where a ticket is issued, the police receive 95% of that fine which is pooled. The remaining 5% goes to the government coffers. Give me 24 hours and I'll show you the link to prove I'm correct. No problem.

Take your time.  Methinks it will be a while.