Orange rental bikes: ugly or useful?

chingmai331

On 13/03/2018 at 9:03 PM, GLewis said:

Instead of renting a car or a motorcycle people are using a new innovative service. All around the world already and very successful indeed. What are people bitching about?  How much pollution does a bicycle emit? Hard crowd here.

usual bitter suspects ..great concept..me thinks

Edited by evenstevens

7 hours ago, MrBrad said:

If you re-read what I wrote, I pointed out that sometimes a car can be rented one-way only.  If I were to rent a car in Dallas after flying in from Tokyo, and I wanted to tour the West ending up in Seattle, then boarding a plane to return to Tokyo, I certainly wouldn't want to have to return the car to Dallas and fly out from there.

I dont need to re read what you wrote (read my last sentence),its a totally different scenario.

Of course cars can be rented one way thats what I said and I have done that  many,many times. When you rent a car there is paperwork to be done,personal details name ,address ,phone no ,credit card details, required insurance etc to be provided.You either have a set mileage for 24 hrs or a open mileage plan

You are  asked to check the car for any minor bumps or scratches which are noted  by a staff member,usually on a printed sheet Before you depart.

When you return the car at a pre arranged designated place,within the time frame,  the car is checked for any damage ,the tank should be full and you sign off.

If you decide to change the drop off point you contact them .

How is that comparable to picking up a bike lying by the side of the road riding off and then leaving it anywhere you choose?

You  really havent thought it through have you ? Rented cars/motor bikes v Orange bikes is a seperate issue

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Car rental companies are also experimenting with a similar model, where an app will tell you where a rental car is available.  Also unlocks with the app, and then you can drive it anywhere in town. 

Great, let us know about what happens with any damage to the vehicle, and how they overcome who caused it ?.Again a bike that cost a couple of 1000 baht v a car that may have cost 500,000 baht or more. Sounds a rather dubious business plan without some form of control

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Problem is you dont think . Great concept yes but ground rules are needed otherwise its all going to go belly up.

i do think. and always look to the future ,whether its the the topic we are now discussing, or another concept. but with due respect to nail the bike concept without any clear evidence that it is not financially sustainable   in due course etc etc, is purely your bitter whims,simply because it doe,s not fit your  Flintstone agenda , its  year 2018 ,get with the times old fella:smile:   E/S  is old vintage and luvs the new concepts ,whether good or bad , a nice evening to all

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Loaded said:

ugly

They are deliberately ugly so people won't steal them.

Bit like fast food restaurants having unfriendly décor so people won't stay in them any longer than they have to.

A lot of thought went into the design in both cases.

• Thanks 1

At the moment being free, I just grab one and ride to the local store occasionally (as people often leave outside my gate). I don't bother to lock (being free, and I hardly ever take a phone with me) and take my chances.

However if you do by the system, you are meant to lock it and you can reserve it for 15mins. I think there is a limit to the number of "reserves" you can do in a day - maybe 3.

Just now, chingmai331 said:

All your data is sold to Facecrap.

I just saw on the news that will also sell all your friends data as well without their knowledge or permission.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43456390

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/19/technology/facebook-suspends-christopher-wylie/index.html

I'm OK because I don't have any friends.

• Haha 1

25B per 30 minutes.

Edit: another part of the app says 10B/30mins.

Certainly something I will be giving a go. Downloaded the app, it's MoBike which seems a big company. Perhaps they know something more than the Chiang Mai old gits club.

Edited by naboo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

does nothing for the air. 

Reduction of use from carcinogenIc emississions of ill-maintained Songtharws and Tuk-Tuks would be a step forward to the betterment of air quality in Chiang Mai espescially at ground zero.

There would be social upheaval for many but able to be mitigated,

This measure alone does not address the  "slash and burn" practices affecting many and employed by the agriculture sector from within Thailands border or ner neighbors.

I would advocate mass introduction of goats to South East Asia.

Similar to Coffee and Cocoa crossing Continents.

Again though, to walk any path you have to take an initial step.

Edited by Paul Catton
Spelling

34 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Reduction of use from carcinogenIc emississions of ill-maintained Songtharws and Tuk-Tuks would be a step forward to the betterment of air quality in Chiang Mai espescially at ground zero.

There would be social upheaval for many but able to be mitigated,

This measure alone does not address the  "slash and burn" practices affecting many and employed by the agriculture sector from within Thailands border or ner neighbors.

I would advocate mass introduction of goats to South East Asia.

Similar to Coffee and Cocoa crossing Continents.

Again though, to walk any path you have to take an initial step.

almost the same as of today when just walking trying to miss the air particles.