We love you Big Joke! Chinese tourists say it with smiles as crime buster swoops on taxis/illegal guides

snoop1130

18 hours ago, Thian said:

Did he also arrest that guy who opens taxidoors to tell the tourists that the grand palace is closed for some hours?? After that he brings them to the longtailboats for an overpriced ride on the river. He looks very official and has loads of medals.

Probably an off duty Cop. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I thought "Dutch style" meant splitting the check. Live and learn. 

Lots of sayings associated with the Dutch! "Dutch courage" means having a drink before a stressful "encounter", and "Double Dutch" means to talk unintelligibly, but the one you are thinking of is "Going Dutch" which as you say above means sharing/splitting the bill/tab/check. 

Edited by sambum

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

That area is flush with scammers period, the palace is closed line is just one of them. I was there a few years ago and was sat on a step having a rest when some motley looking unshaven Thai struck up a conversation using almost perfect English. After the usual blah blah he volunteers that he's a pilot with Thai Airways on his day off, flies 747's he says, what a coincidence says I, I'm a pilot also  but with British Airways and I fly 74's too. Searching desperately for a believable line I ask him almost seamlessly how he likes the new JS1-TARS navigation system Boeing introduced last year and did he have difficulty adjusting from MAPS? He simply got up and walked away, friends told me later it was probably the early stages of a jewellery store scam. Great fun if you've nothing better to do with your time, go bait the scammers and play with them.

Good man ... I consider it a great source of entertainment to bait them. Mostly by going along with them and then out pops my thai lady to rescue me ... telling them where to go and the number of the bus to catch ! 

2 hours ago, sitanonchai said:

> He also found ten guides ripping off the public and six without licences.

I worked in the Thai tourism business for 10 years, Thai guides are the biggest rip off for their customers.

My wife spent 17K getting her government-approved tour guide license, it involved weeks of study led by a CMU Professor and tests followed by a tour of three provinces to visit all the tourist sites and tested yet again on the things they need to know - days started at 6 am and finished at 9pm with tests and presentations held on the coaches between locations - about 63% of the attendees graduated.

22 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes sir, i reported him at the servicedesk in the grand palace and suddenly the girl behind the counter couldn't speak english anymore....serious.

And when we came out of the palace (we didn't take that longtailboat trip cause it was very expensive so we walked back to the palace which was just open all day so he lied to us) i saw him again, he just opened another taxi to tell them the palace was closed.

I wanted to tell him my thoughts but my wife stopped me but me and my father would have loved to tell him the truth....dutch style (which means without being polite). My wife said he is a gangmember from the maffia and he's doing that for many years.

Count yourself lucky for not running your mouth. You have to buy your wife a special gift for she saved you from something unimaginable 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 8:57 PM, snoop1130 said:

He made an example of one - a Burmese called Lee Chuan Yian, 28 - who he said was taking a Thai's job. The job of guide is reserved for Thai people, said Surachet. 

Of course it is! Foreigners can only be translators, accompanying the tour group, translating what the Thai tour guide mumbles in Esarn Thai into Chinese or English, as the Thai tour guide isn't able to communicate effectively in any foreign language... :smile:

On 3/16/2018 at 2:49 PM, lucjoker said:

i saw the scammer also, he told me the Pallace was closed .....

next time when the pallace is open i will make my complaint ......

LOL, that scam has been going on for decades! I encountered it myself on my first trip to Bangkok in 1997, but I understand that it has been going on much longer!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

Why doesn't he go and catch some real criminals 

The horror of 6 thai jobs being taken. Go and look at all the Thais working illegally in Cambodia. 

A clear case of the big bully beating up on the weakest people he can find to make himself look bigger. Pathetic! !!!

And by the way, leave these taxi drivers alone, they're just trying to feed their kids like everyone else. 

And leave the poor scammers alone too. They're just trying to make a living like everyone else. That scam has been around since forever. There are signs everywhere warning people. 

Why do people Continue to be scammed ? It plays on the victims own greed.They think they are going to get something for nothing, with a silent chuckle that this guy must be an idiot taking them for a free outing. 

Anyone that gets scammed on this one. 

Som nam na! !!!