Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

it's an old one. not long ago i was on a thai airways flight in cattle. 2 seriously big blokes were coming down the aisle on boarding counting the seat numbers as they went. i was thinking no please and rest assured they were next to me. took up half my seat with his big ass arms and over bulging stomach. plane gets ready to take off after everyone boarded and it was probably 70% full so plenty of seats to move to instead of being squashed up against the window. i thought about asking to move once we were in flight but felt bad for the guys next to me so left it. turned out to be a really nice pair of blokes who also were good for finishing off your in flight meal. "are you finished with that?" yeah, am good mate knock yourself out

I usually try to board a long flight near last and scan the seats when I'm walking up the aisle and just sit where there are lots of spare seats. That could save you insulting a large guy, although I'm sure they wouldn't have taken offence. They know they are big and take up a lot of space.

• Like 1

I have ridden the TG B787 business class whoever supplied them the seats are definitely narrower. When you go full flat your feet are like as to be stuffed in the short end of a coffin. The newer planes have smaller seats, even the A380 economy class for example is clearly less comfy than the A330 or B777 that have been around a few years. TG best business class seat though (the newest) is the A350. They got that one right I’d reckon, nice in seat entertainment.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:48 PM, Cranky said:

Guess what, I don't. So I'm not.  And no actually I dont'. And freek 'em, they'll get over it, If they don't you must be confusing me with someone who gives a ....

Is it that time of the Month again ?  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:
On 3/16/2018 at 4:59 PM, David Walden said:

I worked part time after retiring driving a bus (Govt) in Australia.  You could not retain you job if you were more then 120 KG.  The drivers seat and steering wheel got in your way.  I was well within the limit but 50% of the  drivers were constantly in fear of loosing their jobs, some were suspended until they got down under 120 KG.  That is still the same in Western Australia today,  big men like to drive buses...that's life.

big men like to drive buses...

maybe because if stand near the bus will make them look small.555

I'd say it has more to do with driving buses (and trucks) all day makes men big from lack of exercise.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:05 PM, Bluespunk said:

charging air fares by passenger weight

If you look into the history of commercial flying, way back when passengers had to be weighed before being assigned seats.  This was done for the checks and balances of the aircraft load.  A couple of years ago, one airline from Japan asked people to urinate before they boarded so that more fuel could be carried.  How much extra?  Speculate.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I'd say it has more to do with driving buses (and trucks) all day makes men big from lack of exercise.

yes that to.

but if no exercise why they gotta eat so much?

you ever notice what some of those truck guys eat at a roadhouse? 

i used to work in a place like this, 

was a standard trucker meal that need multiple plates lol

t-bone steak, 2 fried egg, bacon, sausage, baked beans, chips, toast dripping with butter

and then they buy a bag of crisps for snack later on!

On 3/16/2018 at 12:56 PM, Cadbury said:

This is only the beginning. The next big thing will be charging air fares by passenger weight. A few airlines are already doing it. 

wich is a good thing, fat people should pay extra because they can take the same luggage weight as others

good idea to give a max weight for passenger and luggage stop discimination of slim people

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 11:45 PM, JAG said:

Perhaps you should consider that you were a baby once...

Perhaps you should consider that there are good- and badmannered people on the world....

My parents would rather commit suicide than doing something like that or give stupid comments like above.

Airline employee at check-in desk enforcing weight limit.

Employee:  How much do you weigh , sir/ma'am?

Pax: 299 lbs. 

Employee:  Pfffft!  In your dreams, sugar cheeks!  Step up on this here luggage scale, and let's just see about that bit of fiction, shall we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, xen said:

I was under the illusion that the larger size traveller instead of being in cattle class would pay extra and travel in business class where the seats would be larger and he /she would not infringe on anybody else's comfort. Now, this is being closed how do large people travel?  And we have all heard the advice about exercise and not eating which does often work but sometimes not.

how do large people travel? 

As has been pointed out many times, they should have to pay for 2 seats, or at least only travel when there are vacant seats they can sit next to.

• Like 1

All this talk of larger flyers reminds me of the hell I suffered flying by a certain airline London to Cyprus. Seats didn't recline at all and were so close together that it was a problem just being able to get into them.

I doubt a person that was actually obese could even manage to fit in the seats. I'm not advocating that all airlines do the same, but I wonder what they did if a seriously large person fronted up.

BTW, I'll never fly that airline there again. Worst airline I ever went on.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Perhaps you should consider that there are good- and badmannered people on the world....

My parents would rather commit suicide than doing something like that or give stupid comments like above.

Your own concept of stupidity and manners seem to be defined by your entirely self-centred ignorant bigotry, both in this thread and in several others in which you have commented recently. Suggestions that the inconvenience of traffic congestion in Bangkok be relieved by the closure of markets and the enforced removal of populations with an income below a threshold which you consider entitles them to live in their own capital city was one of your classier recent comments. Now babies should be banned from flying because it inconveniences you! Frankly, if I was one of your parents and I saw what an intolerant racist and deeply unpleasant individual I had raised, then I too would probably contemplate suicide!

Now scurry along and complain to the mods why don't you? Someone has been as rude to you as you consistently are about anyone on this planet who does not share your ethnicity, wealth or obvious feeling of self-entitlement.

6 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

How about we stop with the suicide comments and bickering.

Not cool

Nope that's not cool but the fat ones want to have their word on this cause they can't fly anymore without paying for double seats...That's understandable but they also have to understand that slim people won't accept their bellyfat on their arm during a flight.

Well it's sorted now by Thai air....thank god for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Nope that's not cool but the fat ones want to have their word on this cause they can't fly anymore without paying for double seats...That's understandable but they also have to understand that slim people won't accept their bellyfat on their arm during a flight.

Go back to the original post that started the topic.  Tell me how someone's bellyfat is supposed to spill over on someone else's arms in the photos of the business class seats shown there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Go back to the original post that started the topic.  Tell me how someone's bellyfat is supposed to spill over on someone else's arms in the photos of the business class seats shown there.

You missed the discussions in the reactions on that i guess.

I had the pleasure to fly 6 hours with the fat belly from an Indian on my arm and that was not a nice experience...it was disgusting. Same goes for crying kids onboard of planes.

42 minutes ago, Thian said:

Certainly isn't sorted for Economy Class.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

They should just weigh the passenger + luggage together and base the limits on the combined amount.

In Steerage, where I always am, I'm more concerned with how fat the passengers next to me are rather than how much luggage they have.  The tubbo in the above photo could be traveling with no luggage.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 2:35 PM, xen said:

I was under the illusion that the larger size traveller instead of being in cattle class would pay extra and travel in business class where the seats would be larger and he /she would not infringe on anybody else's comfort. Now, this is being closed how do large people travel?  And we have all heard the advice about exercise and not eating which does often work but sometimes not.

Usually in most cases big people can book and pay for extra leg room or an extra seat at a cost, sometimes a reduced price, I believe this often happens.  Doing  things this way is usually much cheaper then going business class.  People who are extensively over weight have to face this extra cost from time to time.  Perhaps they will get used to it.  They would not have to pay the departure tax for the extra seat, extra baggage or extra meals etc.  In Australia if you miss your flight you can claim back your departure tax which is presently about $85 which is collected by the airlines on behalf of Aus Govt, yes it's a DEPARTURE TAX collected by the airline for the Govt.  Most people who miss their flight just don't claim it back.  I suppose the airlines just keep it.  It does belong to the customer.  The govt is not entitled to it as you did not fly and it does not belong to the airlines, It was sold to you as an add on as part of your ticket for the Govt. but you didn't use it, it's your money, your entitled to get it back, yes you have to request a refund...if you don't get a refund perhaps the airline donate it to charity or have a few drinks with it for the staff.  Sometimes they do claim it back for the customer if they request it so but then sometimes pigs might fly.            

:partytime2:

:sorry:

On 3/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps people should consider that their children do not take priority over adults, though that particular wrong thinking seems to be taking hold in the public discourse, where I often see parents allowing their small children to occupy seats on public transport while adults stand.

If parents can't control their offspring, then they should be banned from flying.

You know it can mostly be a delight to help mothers with children then be a hindrance on planes.  Patience is a virtue!! 

Not always but often it can be fun with children.  No it doesn't always work but it is a fact of life that children with all their good points and a few bad points will be with us for ever and ever amen...get use to it that's your only solution...I have spent 40 odd years as a professional children's portrait photographer and enjoyed every moment of it.  I could just about count the number who were a problem on my 2 hands over this period.  If the mothers accept your help on a plane  my advice is just keep talking, mostly if you keep talking the kids will button up (maybe), nothing is perfect.  Never give up but like I've already said get used to it.  It never ever gunna change.:sorry:

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1