Insuring a friends car to use myself

Bucko

15 minutes ago, Mattd said:

The way I see it is exactly the opposite to this, certainly with the UK.

There you, as the policyholder, would be the only person that could legally drive the car, unless you choose to name other drivers and in that case the policy would be priced accordingly, i.e. if you named a young, inexperienced driver, the cost would go up considerably. To insure a vehicle for any driver in the UK would be expensive.

Whereas in Thailand the vehicle is insured for any driver by default and you have to specifically ask if you want it to be for named drivers only, in either case the driver would have to be qualified in order not to void the insurance and that responsibility lies with the policyholder, who generally is the owner of the vehicle.

In Thailand the policy cost is not effected by the age or inexperience of the driver, as the insurance company do not stipulate or know who may drive it, one has to assume that risk is already built in to the cost of the policy when they sell it to you.

That's probably the cause of Brexit, the Brits just don't want to step into the 21st century....

And for Thailand in my experience you have to specifaclly ask for the option mulitple drivers, but than I have a first class insurance company:smile: 

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

That's probably the cause of Brexit, the Brits just don't want to step into the 21st century....

And for Thailand in my experience you have to specifaclly ask for the option mulitple drivers, but than I have a first class insurance company:smile: 

Hmmmm, it has been like that forever in the UK, to insure it as a free for all would be prohibitive, insurance is all about risk and if the insurance company doesn't know or understand that risk, then they charge for it as a free for all, if someone has a drink driving conviction for instance, then IF they can find an insurance company who will touch them, then they can expect to need a mortgage to pay for it, this is what I am saying, in Thailand this ethos doesn't exist as yet, if the rest of Europe is the same, in that you insure the vehicle and anybody can drive it, then for sure the customers are paying for this one way or another.

I have held fist class insurance on all of the vehicles I've owned here since 1996 and as I said before, by default this allows anybody to drive the vehicle, unless you specifically tell the insurance company that you want to restrict it to xx number of drivers, in theory the policy cost should then reduce as the risk reduces.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Hmmmm, it has been like that forever in the UK, to insure it as a free for all would be prohibitive, insurance is all about risk and if the insurance company doesn't know or understand that risk, then they charge for it as a free for all, if someone has a drink driving conviction for instance, then IF they can find an insurance company who will touch them, then they can expect to need a mortgage to pay for it, this is what I am saying, in Thailand this ethos doesn't exist as yet, if the rest of Europe is the same, in that you insure the vehicle and anybody can drive it, then for sure the customers are paying for this one way or another.

I have held fist class insurance on all of the vehicles I've owned here since 1996 and as I said before, by default this allows anybody to drive the vehicle, unless you specifically tell the insurance company that you want to restrict it to xx number of drivers, in theory the policy cost should then reduce as the risk reduces.

In LOS my 2 named drivers policy reduced the premium on first class insurance by I think 3,000bht..I pay around 8,000bht..

6 minutes ago, Mattd said:

It's all about personal experiences. Since the first time I insured my own car here I have opted for multiple drivers, that could be it...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

In LOS my 2 named drivers policy reduced the premium on first class insurance by I think 3,000bht..I pay around 8,000bht..

Yes, this makes sense, if you know that the two named drivers are going to be the only drivers there is no point in paying more than you have to do, nothing cheap charlie about that, it is just being sensible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jumbo said:

It's all about personal experiences. Since the first time I insured my own car here I have opted for multiple drivers, that could be it...

Of course and in your case you are most likely getting a better price because of it.

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Is it covered for all parts as on its first day,?. Most wont cover air con and other bits that ware with age.

No, it is covered to deal with accident stuff totally...The ride has a value that they will pay out if totaled or the repair is within that value..Same as any Comprehensive insurance.

Ride insurance does not cover wear and tear....

4 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Its all your choise, i have one, but looking round all the cars at the BMW/Volvo service there are no others parked here with cams,im sorry if my findings here dont suit some folks.

Nothing to do with your findings but with your bashing 'cheap charlie ferang' 'dashcams only for TV members to talk about' 'wouldn't buy a decent meal', etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

The way I see it is exactly the opposite to this, certainly with the UK.

There you, as the policyholder, would be the only person that could legally drive the car, unless you choose to name other drivers and in that case the policy would be priced accordingly, i.e. if you named a young, inexperienced driver, the cost would go up considerably. To insure a vehicle for any driver in the UK would be expensive.

Whereas in Thailand the vehicle is insured for any driver by default and you have to specifically ask if you want it to be for named drivers only, in either case the driver would have to be qualified in order not to void the insurance and that responsibility lies with the policyholder, who generally is the owner of the vehicle.

In Thailand the policy cost is not effected by the age or inexperience of the driver, as the insurance company do not stipulate or know who may drive it, one has to assume that risk is already built in to the cost of the policy when they sell it to you.

Yes, the UK is the exception here. In other European countries on the enquiry the questions is asked about the regular driver. Others can drive the car, also youngsters, as long as the regular driver is the one who uses it most.

This also means it is not a named policy.

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with your findings but with your bashing 'cheap charlie ferang' 'dashcams only for TV members to talk about' 'wouldn't buy a decent meal', etc.

So the Truth Hurts.My Chum bought a 3k Cam and got 500Bht discount.Sound economics considering they soon break.As i said its up to the individual, i like to play mine back for Scenic Areas like Chiang Rai mountains yesterday.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

So the Truth Hurts.My Chum bought a 3k Cam and got 500Bht discount.Sound economics considering they soon break.As i said its up to the individual, i like to play mine back for Scenic Areas like Chiang Rai mountains yesterday.

So you're a farang hi-so......laugh.gif.ab79dc16b4a90365b4217ce33822e50a.gif

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the UK is the exception here. In other European countries on the enquiry the questions is asked about the regular driver. Others can drive the car, also youngsters, as long as the regular driver is the one who uses it most.

This also means it is not a named policy.

The single biggest drawback with the European / Thai way is cost, you can be absolutely certain that the insurance companies charge handsomely for the fact anybody can drive the vehicle.

The usual nonsense in this thread...

In Thailand, the default is that the car is insured, which means 'any driver', unless the owner has specifically asked for named drivers in order to save a couple of baht, or uses one of the cheaper online insurers who basically use the named driver policy as a way of making their products look cheaper than the mainstream companies.

So yes, unless your friend is a cheap Charlie, you'll be insured.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mattd said:

The single biggest drawback with the European / Thai way is cost, you can be absolutely certain that the insurance companies charge handsomely for the fact anybody can drive the vehicle.

The insurance companies have it worked out, they are not going to loose money.

The cost of repairs is so cheap it keeps the cost of insurance low. 

On 3/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Expand on this, we need a laugh.

Back in the UK I belonged to a motor club for many years, mainly Classic, Hotrods and American stuff. We all came from various back grounds, well off folk (hi-so) and guys struggling to keep their ride on the road. The one thing we all had in common was the "Love" of our four wheels...:giggle:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, transam said:

Back in the UK I belonged to a motor club for many years, mainly Classic, Hotrods and American stuff. We all came from various back grounds, well off folk (hi-so) and guys struggling to keep their ride on the road. The one thing we all had in common was the "Love" of our four wheels...:giggle:

A common trait in all Clubs, and in Thai Visa. I remember the Mini 7 Club back when i was 17, all Cannabis and Minis with Stripes n  Bean Can Exhaust.:stoner:

20 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The usual nonsense in this thread...

In Thailand, the default is that the car is insured, which means 'any driver', unless the owner has specifically asked for named drivers in order to save a couple of baht, or uses one of the cheaper online insurers who basically use the named driver policy as a way of making their products look cheaper than the mainstream companies.

So yes, unless your friend is a cheap Charlie, you'll be insured.

I count myself as a cheap Charlie, have just organised my next insurance. As I'm the only driver ever, I have insured it just me to drive. My few BT saving was 5.672.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I count myself as a cheap Charlie, have just organised my next insurance. As I'm the only driver ever, I have insured it just me to drive. My few BT saving was 5.672.

When you have no Family here its sensible, unlees you stay in fine Hotels where the Valet parks for you 

5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

When you have no Family here its sensible, unlees you stay in fine Hotels where the Valet parks for you 

I do have family here all 3 of us and I'm the only one that drives. Saying that there are other family members they live over 400km away. So a saving of 5.5+th seems like a good bet. As the old saying goes if the wife has family here (Live at least 300km away) I just made sure.

Edited by fredob43

9 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

My man-servant parks my cars for me.

Mine parks in and out of narrow gaps with a remote  and no driver. That would be interesting, insured but no driver. Fascinates the Locals at Central  Plaza.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, HAKAPALITA said:

A common trait in all Clubs, and in Thai Visa. I remember the Mini 7 Club back when i was 17, all Cannabis and Minis with Stripes n  Bean Can Exhaust.:stoner:

Really??? I was the competition secretary of The Mini Se7en club and you clearly were not a member as nothing like you describe.