Scary awakening for foreign man and Thai wife as burglars make off with 20,000 baht

webfact

Scary awakening for foreign man and Thai wife as burglars make off with 20,000 baht

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

A foreign man and his Thai wife in Thap Praya Soi 5 were woken by dogs barking unusually in the early hours of the morning.

They got up and found the back door forced and items scattered all about in their living room.

House owner Thitimon Lundgrun (name transliterated from Thai), 52, said that they then heard a vehicle start up next to the house and drive off.

Stolen was around 23,000 baht and a phone. Other stuff may be missing as a full assessment is yet to be made.

TNews did not identify the foreigner but said the couple were married.

Police think locals are involved as they knew the lay of the land. CCTV is being studied to get a lead in the case. 

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-20

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Police think locals are involved as they knew the lay of the land. CCTV is being studied to get a lead in the case. 

Trying to get a lead on the case. LOL. We had a burglary not too far from there. We even had the ID of the prime suspect, the new nighttime security guard. It was a total waste of time reporting it at the police station. They won't be doing anything over a 23K burglary, which was a similar loss for us. He snuck into our place while we were in the kitchen. By all means, make a report if you have insurance, otherwise, don't bother wasting your time. I didn't want to waste my time, but the Thai owner downstairs wanted us to as he also suspected the security guard.

CCTV's are a joke. Even if you can track down the burglar, he won't have your stuff by the time you do. Then what do you do? Only decent alarms to PREVENT break-ins are worthwhile. Serious burglars are not going to let you take clear images on CCTV.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Spaniel said:

This has been up for 5 hours and I am surprised that no one has mentioned that he looks older then 52.     On TV that is a crucial piece of evidence.

Yes I was hoping his age was transliterated and stuffed up along with his name. 

7 hours ago, tropo said:

Trying to get a lead on the case. LOL. We had a burglary not too far from there. We even had the ID of the prime suspect, the new nighttime security guard. It was a total waste of time reporting it at the police station. They won't be doing anything over a 23K burglary, which was a similar loss for us. He snuck into our place while we were in the kitchen. By all means, make a report if you have insurance, otherwise, don't bother wasting your time. I didn't want to waste my time, but the Thai owner downstairs wanted us to as he also suspected the security guard.

CCTV's are a joke. Even if you can track down the burglar, he won't have your stuff by the time you do. Then what do you do? Only decent alarms to PREVENT break-ins are worthwhile. Serious burglars are not going to let you take clear images on CCTV.

I am sure that you are correct in this case but the new cameras (Nest/by Google for example) have amazing

crystal clear night vision. A friend of mine uses them for baby monitoring. 4K, they have facial recognition

as well. (you have to load the name of the person initially) Movement and sound notifications to your cell

phone. 

6 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

and I am suprised that no one has mentioned that he looks like he swallowed a beach ball

cheezus how do people let themself get like this?

One beer at a time, hour after hour. Staying very focused and committed. :tongue:

14 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I am sure that you are correct in this case but the new cameras (Nest/by Google for example) have amazing

crystal clear night vision. A friend of mine uses them for baby monitoring. 4K, they have facial recognition

as well. (you have to load the name of the person initially) Movement and sound notifications to your cell

phone. 

For sure CCTV's have their uses, but even if you could identify a burglar after he's burgled your place, you're not getting your stuff back. Also, most burglars aren't so stupid as to show their faces on CCTV. Maybe identifying a burglar who is subsequently charged could help the general community, but it won't help you get any compensation for what you've lost. I'd like to know how they would even identify a generic looking Thai person even if they caught a clear image on camera. The bottom line though is that they wouldn't be bothered with a small house burglary.

Why do some members think it must be the wife?

Surely she would not jeopardise her marriage for such a small sum.

Also cctv has its uses, it helps keep the crooks away, it will not stop them, but it is a good deterrent.

2 hours ago, balo said:

If it was me I would wear a shirt before I allow any pictures taken inside my house, but that's just me......

I wouldn't let anyone take pictures inside my house, period.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why do some members think it must be the wife?

Advanced crime-busting taught our dicks at the renowned CSI: TVF Training Academy. It's always the wife, bargirl, girlfriend, or ladyboy. Case closed.

Surely she would not jeopardise her marriage for such a small sum.

Excellent point and may end the usual fingering of the wife here. She'd have arranged the theft while they were away, of course. Older lady, nice enough life there, so highly unlikely it'd be her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1