Best way to do 4 months in Thailand

Hi,

I'm probably overthinking this but is there any problem with re-entering Thailand on a visa exemption shortly after expiry of a 90-day tourist visa?

I want to be in the country for 4 months, arriving from the UK and returning to Malaysia. The original plan was to enter under the visa exemption, then go down to KL for a week and get a tourist visa to cover the rest of the stay. I was going to meet up with some friends in KL but their dates have changed, which is going to make it more than 30 days between getting to Thailand and going down to KL. I could go in with the visa exemption, extend it, then get a tourist visa in KL (or just go back in under the exemption and extend it again, I guess). Alternatively, I could get a tourist visa in the UK and then go back under the exemption - or I could get one tourist visa in the UK and another one in KL. Does it matter which option I take? I'm planning to rack up a few of these tourist visas so I want to play it as safe as possible.

Cheers

I’m from the UK too. I have had tourist visas from both the UK and Malaysia (Kota Baru).

Getting a single entry tourist visa from the UK is definitely the easiest. There, you don’t have to show proof of funds in your bank account, or a flight ticket out of Thailand, which I had to when dealing with Kota Baru.

Also, when arriving in Thailand, I always carry at least 20,000 THB in cash, or the equivalent in home currency. There have been reports in the past, on this forum, of immigration officials refusing entry to those who can’t prove they have sufficient funds to support themselves whilst in Thailand. Showing a credit/debit card, or your bank statement, will not be sufficient for their purposes; you have to flash the cash. 

I have never been asked to show proof of funds on arrival, and I have not seen anyone asked to do so, in the queue in front of me, or in the other queues around me either. But it is better to be safe than sorry.

Although you have a visa in your passport, which has been issued by the Thai Embassy or Consulate, it does not guarantee entry 100% into Thailand. The final decision, concerning your entry, is made by an immigration official. Embassy/Consulates and Immigration are two separate government departments. Just like in the UK, the idea of “joined up government” exists only in the minds of politicians, when they are talking to journalists. 

Anyway, as I say, I have never had any problems with Immigration, but having the cash with you is always a good idea, just in case the official, looking at your passport, is having a bad day and decides to take their frustration out on you.

I hope you enjoy your trip and have fun.

Edited by silver sea
Correcting typos
  • Like 2

You say 4months then say plan racking few tourist visas up !

You can have quite a few setv's and stay a fair while in region using them but will need do due diligence so up to speed when get questioned by immigration .

It happy days if genuinely having an extended holiday, leisure time and got money and travel docs back it up, those using setv while working illegally are the problem and generally stand out by short out of country travel and next to no money and they getting a harder time ...

Edited by BuckBee