More than half of women are victims of sexual assault by drunken Songkran men, claims report

webfact

On 3/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, Ossy said:

What, like being held down, mouth wedged open, whilst booze was poured in? Being forced to drink is a lot different from being persuaded to drink. If you don't want to drink, don't drink and if that means choosing new friends, do that.

Right girls . . . let's try to be 100% honest and truthful. If your drinking contributed to your being groped, it has to be more your own fault than that of the boozy boys that you could, if you'd made the effort, have avoided. You don't have to walk within arms length of these cretins and most sensible folk would simply make sure they didn't. There's keeping out of trouble and there's asking for trouble . . . the choice is yours, more than Thailand's boozy New Year.

Not true at all. No stranger should ever engage in groping a woman, under any circumstances. Just because it is easy, and relatively anonymous, does not make it right. Granted, on this holiday there are an extraordinary number of gorgeous woman, dressed in wet clothing, and I can see where some men would lose their minds. But, it is up to them to control themselves. Groping is what man children do. Groping is what derelicts, and morally bankrupt souls, like Donald Trump do. Normal, well adjusted men, with a good deal of self respect do not engage in groping strangers. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See there is a lot of sexism on this thread... by women against men.

They think its fine for men to get sexually assaulted, but not women.  If a women gets her butt squeezed its basically the same as them getting raped... if a man does then that's no problem at all.  

If the women 'victim' is drunk, sexy dancing in transparent clothes, wearing tight shorts that hardly cover up here rear end, and is generally flirting and trying her best to look sexy, then this victim has no right to get upset if she is winked at, groped or has otherwise unwanted sexual attention.  

I would not go to a gay go go bar sex show and then complain if some guy groped my ass.  

These women need to use common sense.  Act and dress appropriately for what they are wanting.

Please realise I am not talking about rape, violent or forced serious sexual assault here... many women seem to be hinting they consider having their butt touched with being violently raped!  

Why on earth would a women go to a drunken sexy atmosphere party, dressed like a hooker and then get upset when somebody responds to them?  It's like going to a foam party and them complaining you got foam on you!! 

Go to a different party, a different kind of celebration, perhaps more traditional, if you want to avoid this behaviour.  It's not difficult. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not true at all. No stranger should ever engage in groping a woman, under any circumstances. Just because it is easy, and relatively anonymous, does not make it right. Granted, on this holiday there are an extraordinary number of gorgeous woman, dressed in wet clothing, and I can see where some men would lose their minds. But, it is up to them to control themselves. Groping is what man children do. Groping is what derelicts, and morally bankrupt souls, like Donald Trump do. Normal, well adjusted men, with a good deal of self respect do not engage in groping strangers. 

This is Thailand, western morality holds no power here in a country where many families sell their children to husbands or brothels.

If you don't like what happens here, why not go back home.

As the highest authority in Thailand once publicly stated, "if you dress like a slut, you deserve what you get". My wife, my 20 yo daughter, and nearly every Thai I know agrees with the general (on this one point).

17 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

This is Thailand, western morality holds no power here in a country where many families sell their children to husbands or brothels.

If you don't like what happens here, why not go back home.

As the highest authority in Thailand once publicly stated, "if you dress like a slut, you deserve what you get". My wife, my 20 yo daughter, and nearly every Thai I know agrees with the general (on this one point).

Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it. 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, 

Go home!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

And here endeth the lesson . . . let us now kneel and pray together:

Oh dear Lord, we thank you for enabling us to take the self-righteous road, when we think it sounds so saintly.

But please, at Songkran time and knowing that Thailand is not going to change its drunken ways, simply because I've derided them, make sure the streets are safe for women to walk along.

And, finally, and for the sake of all the sexy-looking and unattached women who have no choice, other than to walk slap-bang, right past a gang of these unutterable louts, please tell them - the louts, that is - to keep their lecherous fingers to themselves.

Amen.

And the offertory hymn, today, is 13-2-18, 'All things bright and beautiful'

8 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

What exactly constitutes sexual assault? Can anyone give me an accurate legal description?

Probably varies from one jurisdiction to another (throughout the world) and I wont live long enough to enumerate them all, and I am only 12 years old. :thumbsup: :cheesy:

On 3/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Bob12345 said:

If it was that bad, wouldnt you expect to only see men doing the sonkran celebrations?

I mean, molest me once shame on you, molest me twice ...

I would expect all females to stay indoors together with all expats and farang pensioners.

AAaa

42 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

What exactly constitutes sexual assault? Can anyone give me an accurate legal description?

How about what a woman says it is. Not some court that was set up by a group of self-centered men who do not have the courage to be honest that they have a self serving agenda. When will we get out of this self righteous denial that is causing a profound social schism. Witness what is happening in America with the hash tag me too and others movements. Why don't you direct that question to a group of women and TRUST what they say. 

39 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

How about what a woman says it is. Not some court that was set up by a group of self-centered men who do not have the courage to be honest that they have a self serving agenda. When will we get out of this self righteous denial that is causing a profound social schism. Witness what is happening in America with the hash tag me too and others movements. Why don't you direct that question to a group of women and TRUST what they say. 

Sexist and you should be ashamed.

Why its ok for women to get away with the very behaviour they are saying its wrong for men to do to them?  

Next time open your eyes and look about when you go out at Songkhran.  You will see many women sexually 'assaulting' men in any bar you go to and also while dancing on the street.  Most men see it as what it is and don't get upset about it.  Its just some drunk women being annoying. 

Grow a backbone... someone touching you ass making sexual advances on you and you don't like it.. tell them to stop, get someone to help if they persist.  Don't be so pathetic and cry sexual assault. 

If you want polite manners and gentlemanly behaviour stay away from the crappy boozy bars and big street parties. Perhaps organise some Victorian style tea dance in a dance hall with only fruit juice while you wave a pretty fan in your face ,as the man bows down and requests a dance.  Or perhaps some women would even consider that sexual assault as the definition, according to you, can be anything a women decides it is, and all the men with the 'agenda' just have to accept it.  

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

See there is a lot of sexism on this thread... by women against men.

They think its fine for men to get sexually assaulted, but not women.  If a women gets her butt squeezed its basically the same as them getting raped... if a man does then that's no problem at all.  

If the women 'victim' is drunk, sexy dancing in transparent clothes, wearing tight shorts that hardly cover up here rear end, and is generally flirting and trying her best to look sexy, then this victim has no right to get upset if she is winked at, groped or has otherwise unwanted sexual attention.  

I would not go to a gay go go bar sex show and then complain if some guy groped my ass.  

These women need to use common sense.  Act and dress appropriately for what they are wanting.

Please realise I am not talking about rape, violent or forced serious sexual assault here... many women seem to be hinting they consider having their butt touched with being violently raped!  

Why on earth would a women go to a drunken sexy atmosphere party, dressed like a hooker and then get upset when somebody responds to them?  It's like going to a foam party and them complaining you got foam on you!! 

Go to a different party, a different kind of celebration, perhaps more traditional, if you want to avoid this behaviour.  It's not difficult. 

Women should be able to dress how they wish, drink as they wish and go where they wish without being sexually assaulted. 

They have every right to get upset if touched or harassed. 

The only way to stop sexual assaults taking place is for those who assault to stop doing so. 

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Sexist and you should be ashamed.

Why its ok for women to get away with the very behaviour they are saying its wrong for men to do to them?  

Next time open your eyes and look about when you go out at Songkhran.  You will see many women sexually 'assaulting' men in any bar you go to and also while dancing on the street.  Most men see it as what it is and don't get upset about it.  Its just some drunk women being annoying. 

Grow a backbone... someone touching you ass making sexual advances on you and you don't like it.. tell them to stop, get someone to help if they persist.  Don't be so pathetic and cry sexual assault. 

If you want polite manners and gentlemanly behaviour stay away from the crappy boozy bars and big street parties. Perhaps organise some Victorian style tea dance in a dance hall with only fruit juice while you wave a pretty fan in your face ,as the man bows down and requests a dance.  Or perhaps some women would even consider that sexual assault as the definition, according to you, can be anything a women decides it is, and all the men with the 'agenda' just have to accept it.  

You missed the point pal.  Try getting into a healthy relationship then maybe you can see your own ignorance. In case you don't get it, people in bars are drunk. If you expect responsibility from a drunk try reading about what alcohol does to the brain.

On 3/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Bob12345 said:

If it was that bad, wouldnt you expect to only see men doing the sonkran celebrations?

I mean, molest me once shame on you, molest me twice ...

I would expect all females to stay indoors together with all expats and farang pensioners.

Aye and 50% doesnt cut it...

Let's have a beer and go out to grope some, let's make it a 99% similar to a NIDA pool after Mr PM popularity.. 

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Women should be able to dress how they wish, drink as they wish and go where they wish without being sexually assaulted. 

The only way to stop sexual assaults taking place is for those who assault to stop doing so. 

Says who?

Not General Prayut fer sure, according to him you get what you ask for, and I agree with him.

It's his country not yours.

Who are you as a white foreigner to tell Thais how to run their country?

Your views have ruined the western world, hopefully the Asian world won't want to repeat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like SongKran so I stay inside, easy to avoid, get over yerself.

22 hours ago, natway09 said:

Having  enjoyed  28 Songkrans in this country (6 of them in Chiang Mai with plenty of alcohol

around I can honestly say that I have never seen a woman groped when she did not want to be.

This is the anti alcohol lobby trying once again (or still) to blame every evil on alcohol.

The carnage on the road has undoubtedly alcohol to blame in part but high speed, lack of paying attention, inability to drive & peoples stupidity to attempt to drive after drinking are the biggest part.

The police who flatly refuse to use mufti cars add to this debacle. Road blocks alone will not fix the problem.

For those of you who hibernate  during Songkran , that is certainly your choice but you are missing one of the worlds last remaining great festivals

the reason the victims keep speed up and cant pay attention

is that they are under fire, they try to dodge shots and are getting blinded

from dirty water being shot in their eyes

14 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Says who?

Not General Prayut fer sure, according to him you get what you ask for, and I agree with him.

Your views have ruined the western world, hopefully the Asian world won't want to repeat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like SongKran so I stay inside, easy to avoid, get over yerself.

I live here. 

I work here. 

I will express my views. 

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Says who?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like SongKran so I stay inside, easy to avoi d, get over yerself.

The misogynist has spoken. 

25 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No they don't have that right... same as men don't either.  You have to dress appropriately to the social situation you are in, and the culture of what country you are in.  

Would you go to a business meeting or appear on TV helping starving children while you were dressed only in a bikini?  

Would you walk alone in a rough area of a city at midnight when all the drunks were leaving the bars.. dressed in a leather mini skirt and tube top, whilst you were also drunk?  

Even men would not go to a drunken party with their rival football team wearing the wrong teams uniform.... because that would be stupid.  They have the right to do so... but it is going to be their own fault if they get beaten up!  

Sure you could get upset if touched by another person.. but don't cry wolf and say its sexual assault.  That is insulting to the real victims of rape and sexual assault, and the more women that keep up this silliness the more they are diverting attention and help from the real victims.  

36 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

You missed the point pal.  Try getting into a healthy relationship then maybe you can see your own ignorance. In case you don't get it, people in bars are drunk. If you expect responsibility from a drunk try reading about what alcohol does to the brain.

Ah... so the real issue.  You are against alcohol and using women getting sexually assaulted, bars, and drink men to fit you agenda.  

Also what do you know about my relationship?  It is healthy for you information... 22 years and going strong.  

Just now, jak2002003 said:

No they don't have that right... same as men don't either.  You have to dress appropriately to the social situation you are in, and the culture of what country you are in.  

Would you go to a business meeting or appear on TV helping starving children while you were dressed only in a bikini?  

Would you walk alone in a rough area of a city at midnight when all the drunks were leaving the bars.. dressed in a leather mini skirt and tube top, whilst you were also drunk?  

Even men would not go to a drunken party with their rival football team wearing the wrong teams uniform.... because that would be stupid.  They have the right to do so... but it is going to be their own fault if they get beaten up!  

Sure you could get upset if touched by another person.. but don't cry wolf and say its sexual assault.  That is insulting to the real victims of rape and sexual assault, and the more women that keep up this silliness the more they are diverting attention and help from the real victims.  

Your arguments are a bit daft when discussing sexual assault. Of course no one would go to a business meeting in a bikini. But wearing a short skirt should not be a justification for rape/sexual assault. Also, you are not the judge and jury of what constitutes sexual assault.

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

. Also, you are not the judge and jury of what constitutes sexual assault.

Yes.  So I have been told many times... yet still no one has told me what is sexual assault in the context of this article.

The only answer have been told is:

Sexual assault is anything a women says it is.

That does not sound right.... does it to you?

53 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

OK . . . now that you've come up with 'the only way to stop sexual assaults taking place', being 'for those who assault to stop doing so', exactly how would you set about achieving this? Without this, your post is pretty toothless.

33 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Groping is sexual assault.

Of course it does not carry the same trauma as rape, but it is sexual in nature and, if done against the victim’s  will, it is assault. 

The victims of such assaults have the right to complain, just as they have the right to dress as they will. 

The only ones to blame for sexual assaults are the predators responsible for them. 

13 minutes ago, Ossy said:

OK . . . now that you've come up with 'the only way to stop sexual assaults taking place', being 'for those who assault to stop doing so', exactly how would you set about achieving this? Without this, your post is pretty toothless.

It starts with society recognising it as a crime and harshly punishing those responsible. 

It starts with not blaming victims of sexual assault for the actions of predators. 

It starts with not accepting that “these things happen”

It starts with zero tolerance for such actions. 

It starts with learning no one can force their unwanted attentions on another. 

Archived