It's "fate" as monk ends up sprawled over the windscreen

webfact

It's "fate" as monk ends up sprawled over the windscreen

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai driver was heard to utter the Thai word "wengam" (fate) as a monk who had been travelling on a motorcycle with sidecar attachment flew into his windscreen.

The incident was part of a one minute dash cam video that has received a lot of attention online.

Sanook said the video showed a car changing lanes ahead that collides with a motorcycle causing the rider to hit the tarmac and the monk to fly in the air and onto the bonnet of the following car before the monk is also slammed into the road surface.

A Pranburi, Prajuab Khirikhan, rescue foundation confirmed that the accident happened on March 17th on Petchkasem Highway in the area of a U-turn at Ban Nong Sone. Part of the motorcycle came loose.

Both Suriya Buaphut, 55 and the unnamed monk from a local temple, aged 40, were taken to hospital with head injuries.

Pranburi police are waiting for the monk to leave hospital, likely at the end of this week, before deciding what to do in the matter, added Sanook.

Last year it was reported that many Thai motorists believe that road accidents are fate.

Thailand has the worst per capita road accident death statistics in the world.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-22

WARNING: This video contains content that some viewers may find disturbing

44 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i wonder why on earth he was out in that outside lane going so slow, of course its drive in any lane here isnt it,

yup.

the sidecar vehicle bears 50% of responsibility for the accident because traveling slow in the wrong lane.

It's just bad driving, which could be dealt with in the human realm. BS idea "it's fate" takes it into supernatural, which is out of human control. The mindset of fate, karma foisted on those too lazy to deal with reality

3 hours ago, manarak said:

yup.

the sidecar vehicle bears 50% of responsibility for the accident because traveling slow in the wrong lane.

I'm guessing he had just made a U turn from coming in the opposite direction, hence he's in the fast lane. All too common problem here with people making an illegal (or perhaps not signed) U turn where there's no slip road to wait out the fast moving traffic.

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i wonder why on earth he was out in that outside lane going so slow, of course its drive in any lane here isnt it,

It looks to me as if they've just joined from the 'U' turn and are waiting an opportunity to get to the left.

There's absolutely no excuse for this total lack of observation blind stupidity as the sidecar was easily visible (highlighted in screen grab from the dashcam) while the black pickup two cars in front pulled left to pass it.

Andrew

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, manarak said:

yup.

The combination was intending to make a U-Turn and was heading for the U-slip lane. Better to be in the RH lane than attempt to cut diagonally across the entire road width from the shoulder.

Illegal combinations are everywhere but the fault rests with the car driver.

1 hour ago, FarangLife said:

Glad they lived through that. Hope they make speedy recoveries. Someone needs to start the trend of making offerings of helmets. 

Maybe the someone is you?  Next I will see you at the road with loads of funny helmets? 

10 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The combination was intending to make a U-Turn and was heading for the U-slip lane. Better to be in the RH lane than attempt to cut diagonally across the entire road width from the shoulder.

It looks more like they had just completed a 'U' turn at the 'U' turn visible to the right of the screen grab I posted earlier.

I never fail to be astounded at the variety of patently unroadworthy rubbish (sidecars, badly converted 3 wheel motorcycles etc.) that is on the roads here. I guess they're exempt from tax, insurance and vehicle testing?

Last year it was reported that many Thai motorists believe that road accidents are fate.

No doubt that is why they drive without looking.  Grab your amulet, close your eyes, and if you get killed or injured - it's fate. 

Unlike Thais, Westerns know that you have control over your own fate.  What's the saying: "Don't tempt fate."  Yeah, you may get in an accident that is outside of your control, but getting in a accident where you have a lot of control over the situation, such as stopping and looking at traffic before pulling out onto the road, does not seem to register with the suicidal drivers here in Thailand.
"It's just fate!"  No it's not.  Most of it has to do with aggressive driving, careless driving, and utter stupidity.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

my opinion remains shared responsibility.

The sidecar just performed a U-turn and should not have stayed in the lane it was in.

It should have waited for the traffic to clear to be able to cross into the slow lane.

BTW, that's what most drivers do in Thailand when performing a U-turn, they turn directly into the opposite slow lane, even when it's not necessary.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

that will teach him, do not ride in a side car without your amulet, you know it makes sense.

And sure don't do this without wearing underwear...they even didn't blur his white butt.

Archived