Rabies epidemic: Livestock Department says it won't cull Thailand's soi dogs

webfact

15 hours ago, davemos said:

Rabies only kills some people ..the ones that can't afford the Sabine vaccine Sure all tourists can afford that .

Sabine, meaning,

a member of an ancient Oscan-speaking people of the central Apennines in Italy, north-east of Rome, who feature in early Roman legends and were incorporated into the Roman state in 290 bc 

If you mean Sabin, that vaccine is used to prevent polio, not rabies.

The cost of a course (5 injections) of rabies vaccinations (after being bitten) here in Thailand at a local hospital is around ฿4000 and is administered over the course of one month.

So a tourist who is attacked by a dog just before leaving to go home will incur an initial cost here in Thailand of around ฿2500 (local hospital) and then require the remainder of injections in their own country. In Australia it is  $160 per injection. You can multiply the cost by a factor of at least 5 if you attend a private hospital here in Thailand. Rather high cost for the tourist.

Soi dogs need to be vaccinated, neutered or culled to eradicate rabies in Thailand.

• Like 2

I like your way of thinking geriatrickid, 55555, NOT!!

More people die in airplane crashes than from rabies, more people died in one bus crash in Thailand than from rabies, more people die from......... Jibber, jibber, jibber.  Why not go into bat for mosquitoes too?  After all they are animals and spread diseases you mentioned, dengue and malaria.  Some would even say they are God's creation and therefore should be protected.  Too bad we humans just happen to be at the top of the pile and have the ability to change our world to suit ourselves.  Strange how any mention of dogs being controlled brings out the rabid  dog lovers who don't really give a stuff how many humans might die from dog attacks or zoonoses carried by them, including rabies. Do you cringe when you kill several million bacteria?  We can't live without them.

Same with motorbikes and rabid motorbike lovers.  Just can't get past their own distorted point of view to see that others have valid concerns.

• Like 1

It just needs a few Foreign Governments to issue some Red Warnings on Thailand due to the uncontrolled Rabies.

This will stop some Tourists coming here.

This will be the only way that the Rabies will be dealt with as pockets will get hit.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, kannot said:

Gawd  you feed  the cats, hows the local bird  population doing now then?

Gosh mate, if I start looking after the birds who's going to look after the worms!

But that's why I called myself a "selective animal lover" :laugh:

Birds are chirping away as always. The rodent population however has definitely decreased, we don't hear them up in the roof at night anymore.

Edited by Genmai

5 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

People come first, Not the wild dogs of Thailand. :bah:

Ps I will go back to using the term Wild dogs from now on.

I would add that even the wild dog (and cat) populations will be better off once rabies is eradicated/under control.