Long-stalled Pattaya Canal facelift set for April

Rimmer

Long-stalled Pattaya Canal facelift set for April

image.png

PATTAYA:--Long-delayed redevelopment of the South Pattaya Canal zone will begin in April now that years of property encroachment issues are almost resolved.

Pattaya Engineering Department chief Sompope Wandee said March 14 that the 58-million-baht project to dredge, widen and beautify the canal area will take about two months to complete. Once done, the waterway will look natural and attractive and capable of becoming its own tourist attraction, he said.

Plans to redevelop the flood-control waaterway were first laid in 2015, but were shelved due to the large number of structures illegally built around or on top of the canal. Not only was it a legal issue of encroachment on public land, it severely hampered the ability of storm runoff to reach the sea, contributing to Pattaya’s serious flooding problem.

Encroachment of the canal has been an issue for 20 years, Sompope said, with hundreds of home and business owners grabbing the public land for their own.

The canal was designed to handle 65,000 cu. meters of water a day, but capacity was trimmed substantially by bridges, porches and entire buildings constructed over it during the past 20 years.

Read more:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/long-stalled-pattaya-canal-facelift-set-april-205319

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-03-23

1 hour ago, cookieqw said:

could someone put a link to where this canal is please

I did a bit of detective work on Google Earth...5ab5122102f2f_SouthPattayaCanal.jpg.019152fa0d0eb0e7b15da2618ace2b84.jpg

I've arrowed the start and finish of what is visible - a lot of it must have been built over.

As a reference point, the tiny bit of beach at the top of the picture is at the marina end of Walking Street.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I did a bit of detective work on Google Earth...5ab5122102f2f_SouthPattayaCanal.jpg.019152fa0d0eb0e7b15da2618ace2b84.jpg

I've arrowed the start and finish of what is visible - a lot of it must have been built over.

As a reference point, the tiny bit of beach at the top of the picture is at the marina end of Walking Street.

good work, and thank you,  its hard to work out where the run off into the sea would be though ?,  i guess im gonna have to be standing in an appropriate position when the rains come