Now Big Joke joins the hunt for female tourist who sat on a ledge at Wat Phra Kaew

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Mikey421 said:

Reading this makes me very sad and quite angry. I know I am a farang and my opinion is nothing but when I was visiting the Kingdom back in 2008, our guide ( Thai national ) was very explicit about the rules when visiting temples and historical gardens. No short skirts or sleeveless shirts ( makes the monks ‘confuse’ ) and never point your bare feet ( no shoes inside the temples ) at the Buddha. As well, no climbing on any parts of the temples not built for foot traffic ( this was important at the historical ruins in Ayutthaya)!!!

My wife and I enjoyed our visit to the Kingdom and I hope to return someday to rekindle my love for the country. I am truly ashamed that this lady in the image has made farang even more despised in the eyes of the citizens of Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Has made farang even more despised.."

As I said there must be something in the water...all the lead piping maybe?

Who or what  are "farang" and why do their opinions mean nothing?

..and if they do indeed mean nothing what does it really mean to be a hypothetical "farang" living in Shangri-La?

Back to the boys in brown as they super sleuth their way to fame and glory.. it is so splendidly dramatic.

39 minutes ago, JemJem said:

I really doubt that she meant to be disrespectful or even knew that there was a chance that she could cause all this negative reaction.

Just a case of no common sense or brain dead then?  You wouldn't sit like that in a church or synagogue back home would you?

Edited by joeyg
  • Like 1

On 24/03/2018 at 6:04 PM, geoff65 said:

If tourists can’t follow the laws and rules of Thailand <deleted> off back  from wherever you come from,its people like her that give farangs a bad name,I hope she gets jail with a big fine and that goes for any one else who disobeys their laws.Go somewhere and act like <deleted>.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Get a grip of yourself. 

Maybe that is his problem  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are we sure this a Temple, and not the front of some Indian restaurant in 
Bangkok. ? looks a bit suss to me :giggle:
Capture.JPG.31ea2190b3557ad111e43d818043730e.JPG

Having actually toured the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, I can assure you that yes, that is the location in this photo.

Some more troll posts have been removed.

Posts in violation of the following have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Instead of kissing the butts of the Thais,  you are right but just like pissing example your is far more off base!  In fact, I say it is just plain stupid!  Sure it might be insensitive but if you read my original post as culture you used the foreign couple might not see it as being insensitive.  So as I noted instead of just standing by collecting all the tourist money and getting rich off it do a bit of promotion like putting a simple sign or asking the tour operator to explain it.

This is the same I say to the Thais leaders who complain about the behavior of the Chinese and Indians. Provide some resources like a place to sit or simple communicate your desires?

Flag yea right! Oh I get it believe me the one who doesn't seem to get it is you!  Looks like the Big Joke got you?

Like I said you'd never do that at "home" in a church or synagogue etc. What don't you get about that?

16 hours ago, JemJem said:

I really doubt that she meant to be disrespectful or even knew that there was a chance that she could cause all this negative reaction.

Would it be a problem in your church at home.  Plus she just in few view with the snatch hangin' out.  Do you really not get how thoughtless this is?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 10:13 PM, The Deerhunter said:

Must have been an illegal (Burmese, Cambodian or Chinese) tour guide.  No Thai tour guide would allow them to commit such a hideous crime. 

Seriously: A foreign teenager on holiday.  She would have had no idea she was committing a cultural crime of such huge importance. Just wanted a pretty pic to show back home, taken in this pretty building.   Question:  Did she ignore any big signs in multiple languages? 

Totally acceptable And common behavior at your church at home then.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 10:20 PM, sirineou said:

Absolutely right my friend!

Some westerners visit other countries and behave as if they are visiting Disney World , and the sites are attractions there for their entertainment. They don't realise that these sites are also  functioning  local institutions .

Ignorant , disrespectful  behaviour is not only directed at the site but also at the people who hold these sites sacred, and/or in other ways important to their identity, 

The look at the Thai woman's face says it all.

Yes. After all it's a Buddhist (Keyword, wait for it) Temple.  I think it's also part of the self entitled millennial generation will leave that for another topic.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:56 PM, Thian said:

Also that warningsign to not sit there is not according international standards...which pancake designed that? I also wouldn't understand it, for me the X is to close a screen or program.

Keyword, wait for it.  You're in a "Temple." 

Dictionary

tem·ple1
ˈtempəl/
noun

1. a building devoted to the worship, or regarded as the dwelling place, of a god or gods or other objects of religious reverence.
Edited by joeyg

10 hours ago, Mikey421 said:

Having actually toured the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, I can assure you that yes, that is the location in this photo.

If you say so, not sure how , but ok.

For me seen one golden temple seen them all.

Nothing special for me. :coffee1:

Honestly...

10,000 baht fine!

Possible jail sentence!

Tick the female off with a warning plus explanation.

Notifications should be displayed at such sensitive places.

Tourists better informed plus common sense demonstrated by tourists...

I personally stay clear of such places, because I'm unsure  that  what I wear, say, or even my mannerisms, considered offensive.

I live in an open prison.

• Like 1

Not worth all the fuss.

She was outside the temple. The comparisons with churches don't apply.

Presumably they just thought it was alright. I suspect people often sit on the ledge for photos or lean against the nagas etc - not out of disrepect but because it's a lovely place.

A quiet word is all that is needed, and a better sign.

Edited by CharlesSwann
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Not worth all the fuss.

She was outside the temple. The comparisons with churches don't apply.

Presumably they just thought it was alright. I suspect people often sit on the ledge for photos or lean against the nagas etc - not out of disrepect but because it's a lovely place.

A quiet word is all that is needed, and a better sign.

I'd agree about a quiet word.

However, once the photo was publicised, then it's loss of face, so a quiet word is no longer applicable. "They" need to be seen to do something - and they did - 5,000 Baht fine each.

'Face' restored.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'd agree about a quiet word.

However, once the photo was publicised, then it's loss of face, so a quiet word is no longer applicable. "They" need to be seen to do something - and they did - 5,000 Baht fine each.

'Face' restored.

Broken face syndrome,  is a huge millstone Thai people  carry :saai:

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Like I said you'd never do that at "home" in a church or synagogue etc. What don't you get about that?

Forget it the guy does not understand cultural sensitivities, he also does not understand that if a Thai does it (and they have) they get fined for it too. (was recently in the news).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

I know I said bye,,,

You say your are Dutch and use American burning flags as a example as how we act... you have no idea how we react!  You aren't even a American have you been front and center when a flag was burned or just hearsay and rumors.

Now I can see why they call him a Big Joke,  Tourist police... give me a minute to stop laughing and get off the floor!  If it was such a big deal maybe they should have fine the Thais the same rate?  Tourist police now that is just great!  Maybe they should get the guy who has all the watches take care of this......?  Now I get it  Big Joke!

Of course I know how you guys act, you have no idea how much reality TV and documentaries I have seen about the USA. No hearsay and rumors just facts and things I seen. You should understand how much documentaries and reality TV is out there about the USA. Your making a fool of yourself by acting like burning a flag is not something that will anger many Americans. While I know for a fact in the Netherlands the reaction is a lot less. 

Yea.. tourist police.. you did not even know that, good too because if you had known and still posted the ridiculous arguments about him having to go after the red bull heir, corruption and traffic fatalities it would have been far worse.

So now we got a high ranking TOURIST police officer going after something that concerns tourists and is causing an uproar on social media... the guy is exactly doing what he is paid for and hired for. 

Kinda shoots your arguments down that he should do all those other things first before solving this. 

I have said it a few times there are some points in your argument i agree with.. like better signage.. If i had to look at the signs i would not have known what it meant. However I would know I was in a place of worship and you show restraint there you don't go sit on stuff. Just imagine people posing on the altar of a Church. 

I am non religious so I don't get worked up about all those things but I do know that its sensitive for others. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its kinda bad when a non native speaker has to point stuff like this out to a native speaker. I was not commenting on your spelling, i was commenting on your carelessness when posting. When debating typo's are not a problem but if you want to get your point across you should write down what you mean not the opposite. 

Didn't you get it America is a melting pot!  Maybe I should have gone to school with you but I'm happy I didn't turn out to be a guy who thinks his shit doesn't stink.

Like I said you got the point whether it was type or not correctly.   or are you using it as a excuse because of the typo you did get what I was saying.. Is this your way of saving face like a Thai!  So if my typing was better you agree with me!  Do me a favor don't stupid bye!  Hope I type that right so you don't misunderstand it!

Where I'm from,  your comments would be a bit racist... white kids would come up to you try to bully people and say you are different where you from?  you speak funny in class hoping to keep you down. As you can see it didn't then nor is it going to happen now!  I will speak however I please type in whatever manner!

Edited by thailand49

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course I know how you guys act, you have no idea how much reality TV and documentaries I have seen about the USA. No hearsay and rumors just facts and things I seen. You should understand how much documentaries and reality TV is out there about the USA. Your making a fool of yourself by acting like burning a flag is not something that will anger many Americans. While I know for a fact in the Netherlands the reaction is a lot less. 

Yea.. tourist police.. you did not even know that, good too because if you had known and still posted the ridiculous arguments about him having to go after the red bull heir, corruption and traffic fatalities it would have been far worse.

So now we got a high ranking TOURIST police officer going after something that concerns tourists and is causing an uproar on social media... the guy is exactly doing what he is paid for and hired for. 

Kinda shoots your arguments down that he should do all those other things first before solving this. 

I have said it a few times there are some points in your argument i agree with.. like better signage.. If i had to look at the signs i would not have known what it meant. However I would know I was in a place of worship and you show restraint there you don't go sit on stuff. Just imagine people posing on the altar of a Church. 

I am non religious so I don't get worked up about all those things but I do know that its sensitive for others. 

:sorry:  your time is up... I had my laugh reality T.V. facts  Thanks

21 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Didn't you get it America is a melting pot!  Maybe I should have gone to school with you but I'm happy I didn't turn out to be a guy who thinks his shit doesn't stink.

Like I said you got the point whether it was type or not correctly.   or are you using it as a excuse because of the typo you didn't get what I was saying.. Is this your way of saving face like a Thai!  So if my typing was better you agree with me!  Do me a favor don't stupid bye!  Hope I type that right so you don't misunderstand it!

Where I'm from,  your comments would be a bit racist... white kids would come up to you try to bully people and say you are different where you from?  you speak funny in class hoping to keep you down. As you can see it didn't have then nor is it going to happen now!  I will speak however I please type in whatever manner!

Again its not about you talking funny (I got an accent most Dutch do when speaking English). Its only about you not checking what you post and posting totally the opposite of what you mean. 

No need to keep you down or whatever I don't care about stuff like that. Whatever baggage you have from your youth it shows but not every white guy is like that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, joeyg said:

Would it be a problem in your church at home.  Plus she just in few view with the snatch hangin' out.  Do you really not get how thoughtless this is?

What you don't get is she's here on a fun holiday and made a minuscule mistake by sitting on a ledge in clothes she would wear 'at home'.   Stop being so pompous a monk just asking her not to sit there is sufficient not a public flogging. 

• Like 2