Anzac Day 2018

pagallim

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, pagallim said:

A bump for this one.   The Australian Consulate are requesting email notification for those wishing to attend, by tomorrow (20th).    Details on the OP.

20th would be today.

Here’s an interesting story for Anzac Day; it’s about a little village in New Zealand called Tinui, which now has only 20 inhabitants, but at the start of WW1 it had over 1000 single men, and there were so many volunteers, Tinui had its own troop. Read on…..

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12038365  

Gone but not forgotten.

Great turn out this morning, with the weather being particularly kind, somewhere around 300 people, with events well choreographed by the Australian Consular team.   After the commemoration service, a very sociable atmosphere aided by the hard working staff of the PYC.

A couple of videos.

7 hours ago, pagallim said:

Great turn out this morning, with the weather being particularly kind, somewhere around 300 people, with events well choreographed by the Australian Consular team.   After the commemoration service, a very sociable atmosphere aided by the hard working staff of the PYC.

I've always considered myself a bit of a "tough" cookie and have experienced some dangerous and interesting times, especially after working in Libya at the end of the revolution there, and later on having a loaded pistol put to my head by a very dangerous and irate Libyan soldier.

Also worked in Nigeria at the end of the Biafran war and saw some quite disturbing situations. Not to mention many dangerous situations in and around those places.

However when I see the Anzac Memorial ceremony, I just tear up, feeling a sense of loss and despair for these young souls who gave everything for their country and for our future.

I don't know why I should feel like this, however it affects me quite markedly, probably why I don't attend the ceremonies because I don't quite know how I would react.

I try to pay homage to these folks in my own way by remembering them on this day, however quite why this affects me so badly I'm not sure?

Do others feel the same way, or am I just a little too sentimental for my own good?

Archived