Why is Thai gold jewellery so cheap compared with the West?

RandolphGB

Without reading the whole thread, 24,22,18 karats are easily explained:

24 karat gold is pure 100 percent (all 24 parts are gold)

22 karat is 22 parts gold and 2 parts alloy

18 karat is 18 parts gold and 6 parts alloy

etc etc.

You can work out the percentages from that.  i.e. 1 karat or part is one 24th of the whole.

24 karat gold being pure is considered too soft to work with.

Regarding Thai gold being so cheap.  Try selling such a high karatage gold in the west.  Nobody wants it and you will get a better 'sell-back' in Thailand.  A friend recently sold gold in the UK and the best she could get was 590 quid.  In Thailand she'd have got 900 quid equivalent.

42 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Without reading the whole thread, 24,22,18 karats are easily explained:

24 karat gold is pure 100 percent (all 24 parts are gold)

22 karat is 22 parts gold and 2 parts alloy

18 karat is 18 parts gold and 6 parts alloy

etc etc.

You can work out the percentages from that.  i.e. 1 karat or part is one 24th of the whole.

24 karat gold being pure is considered too soft to work with.

Regarding Thai gold being so cheap.  Try selling such a high karatage gold in the west.  Nobody wants it and you will get a better 'sell-back' in Thailand.  A friend recently sold gold in the UK and the best she could get was 590 quid.  In Thailand she'd have got 900 quid equivalent.

Thai gold is not sold as a karat unit. It is rated at 96.5 percent. 23 karats would be 95.83%. I know it's splitting hairs but considering the price of gold, it's still worth considering. It makes a difference of 0.1 grams of gold per 1 baht of gold jewelry (15.16 grams). About 135 baht at today's price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrilled said:

Gold sells on the world market.Meaning it’s roughly the same price everywhere you go.Thai labor makes it A little cheaper.If you know where to shop you can actually buy diamonds cheaper in the us than in Thailand.

NYC 47th st between 5th and 6th av.

Must be able to consider the four Cs 

Carat weight, Clarity ,Color ,Cut  and have a good eye for inclusions (Clarity), Bring your own loop

Edited by sirineou

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

Try selling such a high karatage gold in the west.  Nobody wants it and you will get a better 'sell-back' in Thailand. 

Not necessarily true.  If the gold has a BIS style hallmark, then the price will be higher (than without one) in the west and more sellable. 

Edited by torrzent

7 hours ago, HHTel said:

A friend recently sold gold in the UK and the best she could get was 590 quid.  In Thailand she'd have got 900 quid equivalent.

She got a steal when you factor in how much it would cost to fly back to Thailand to flog it.

Edited by torrzent

3 hours ago, thrilled said:

Gold sells on the world market.Meaning it’s roughly the same price everywhere you go.Thai labor makes it A little cheaper.If you know where to shop you can actually buy diamonds cheaper in the us than in Thailand.

Gold does not sell at the same price everywhere. some countries levy sales tax and separately additional excise duty. my home country Germany does not levy additional duties but the price for 999.9 purity is higher by 6-15% (depending on weight). extremely small bullion, e.g. 1gram are up to 30% more expensive. 

So if I want to buy gold, it's quite safe to go into any well established gold shop and buy an ingot?

That is, I can be reasonably sure that I'll get the correct weight, purity, etc?

Never bought it, but keep reasonably appraised of the market because I invest in gold mining companies.

TIA

38 minutes ago, Naam said:

Gold does not sell at the same price everywhere. some countries levy sales tax and separately additional excise duty. my home country Germany does not levy additional duties but the price for 999.9 purity is higher by 6-15% (depending on weight). extremely small bullion, e.g. 1gram are up to 30% more expensive. 

37 minutes ago, Naam said:

Germany still keeps its main stolen Gold Reserves in Swiss  Banks , less we fore get.!

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

She got a steal when you factor in how much it would cost to fly back to Thailand to flog it.

Haha!  She arrived the following week.  She was selling it for 'holiday money'!!

The best feature of the Thai gold market hasn't been mentioned here yet. You can buy and sell as much as you like. No reporting! No ID! No questions! How long will it last until the government steps in to regulate it?

On 3/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, Benmart said:

I haven't been to every toilet in each country. Therefore, I cannot verify this claim with any degree of credibility.

If I were to say that the toilets that I have visited do not have bum guns, then perhaps that would be more accurate.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:00 PM, Chrisdoc said:

I understood the OP is interested in buying gold not selling it. I have sold gold in pawn shops and they used a magnet to do a quick check before they analysed it further. The ones that failed the magnet test they gave back, the ones that passed they tested further to gauge purity. I don't understand how you thought I was sugesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

the people that buy gold in supermarkets in Australia do the same thing

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Haha!  She arrived the following week.  She was selling it for 'holiday money'!!

Would have been better to get a cash advance to pay for the trip and then repay it with the profit from gold sold once in Thailand.  Seems like an obvious solution!

19 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Would have been better to get a cash advance to pay for the trip and then repay it with the profit from gold sold once in Thailand.  Seems like an obvious solution!

Absolutely right.  She didn't ask me or that's what I'd have told her.

Contrary to popular belief, some farangs qualify as stupid!!!

11 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Germany still keeps its main stolen Gold Reserves in Swiss  Banks , less we fore get.!

and Hitler is still alive. he lives on planet Mars and travels to Germany only for Christmas.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2018 at 10:48 AM, simoh1490 said:

I kinda took it for granted that everyone understood we are talking about gold jewellery here, especially since that what the OP refers to! With that small inconvenient fact in mind: Thai gold jewellery is predominantly made from 96.2% pure gold or 22-carat gold rather than anything else and is typically referred to as Thai gold. That compares to western gold jewellery where most gold jewellery is made from 24 carat or 99.9% pure gold, in Thailand, this is referred to western or farang gold. Now, do you still have a problem with that or do you need more help!

The purest Gold you can buy is actually 999.9 which is infact Gold Bullion, the same Gold the Banks keep in their Vaults, i know i have a fair bit of it thanks to my Karatbars Gold business, contact me for a great no risk business opportunity in Gold Bullion.  :smile:

On 3/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, tigerbeer said:

Thai gold is predominantly 96.5% btw. i buy my gold for investment purposes with Ausiris as they have good prices and ship nationwide. and if anyone happens to take Emirates, i ask them to get me some PAMP gold bar or platinum at Dubai duty free airport gold shop. Best price i seen that even beats the various prices you find at gold souk in Dubai. as everyone has pointed out labour prices make them more expensive in the west. if you are buying jewelry then buy what makes you happy. if buying for investment then look out for least premium with a well known brand name for worldwide purchase. If living in Thailand, then buy their 96.5% from an established gold chain so you can get a good price when you sell it back. if not mistaken most jewelry in the west is less than 20k gold. 

I have 999.9 24 Karat LBMA Certified Gold Bullion, minimum 1 Gram purchase thru my Karatbars Gold business, my Gold is Free and stored for Free because i make handsome commissions paid weekly every Friday, Message me  anybody if interested.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, tigerbeer said:

Thai gold is predominantly 96.5% btw. i buy my gold for investment purposes with Ausiris as they have good prices and ship nationwide. and if anyone happens to take Emirates, i ask them to get me some PAMP gold bar or platinum at Dubai duty free airport gold shop. Best price i seen that even beats the various prices you find at gold souk in Dubai. as everyone has pointed out labour prices make them more expensive in the west. if you are buying jewelry then buy what makes you happy. if buying for investment then look out for least premium with a well known brand name for worldwide purchase. If living in Thailand, then buy their 96.5% from an established gold chain so you can get a good price when you sell it back. if not mistaken most jewelry in the west is less than 20k gold. 

I have 999.9 24 Karat LBMA Certified Gold Bullion, minimum 1 Gram purchase thru my Karatbars Gold business, my Gold is Free and stored for Free because i make handsome commissions paid weekly every Friday, Message me  anybody if interested.

On 24/03/2018 at 11:00 PM, Chrisdoc said:

I understood the OP is interested in buying gold not selling it. I have sold gold in pawn shops and they used a magnet to do a quick check before they analysed it further. The ones that failed the magnet test they gave back, the ones that passed they tested further to gauge purity. I don't understand how you thought I was sugesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How can you use a magnet to check gold if they use copper or other nonferrous metals? I can understand if they use iron or some steels?