Why is Thai gold jewellery so cheap compared with the West?

RandolphGB

6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

The point that as another poster said already, that you are making things up.

In Europe 18K gold jewellery is the standard, not 22K, and certainly not 24K

http://www.4facets.com/jagold.html

Look for the quality mark. Pure gold, or 24-karat, is generally considered too soft for use in jewelry, so it is alloyed with other metals to increase its strength.

Eighteen-karat gold is 18/24ths, or three-quarters pure gold. Jewelry of this fineness is marked "18k" or "750," the European designation meaning 75 percent gold.

In the United States, 14-karat gold is used most commonly for jewelry. Fourteen-karat gold is 14/24ths, or slightly more than one-half pure gold. Jewelry of this fineness is marked "14k" or "585," the European designation meaning 58.5 percent gold.

"Standard" and "available" are two totally different things, are you confused, again!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Me confused?

That compares to western gold jewellery where most gold jewellery is made from 24 carat or 99.9% pure gold,

Yes, I had intended to convey that most good quality gold jewellery is made from 24 carat, my error in rushing the post.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes, I had intended to convey that most good quality gold jewellery is made from 24 carat, my error in rushing the post.

Good quality gold is not made of 24 carat, in fact it is very rarely used for jewellery, other than for marriage in China and India.

https://simonewalsh.com/blogs/handmade-jewellery/all-about-gold-karats-carats

24ct gold

Pure gold is generally considered to be too soft to make jewellery with on its own, however, it may be used for gilding, plating or for making ceremonial objects. It has a luminous, rich and warm golden colour. Given it's purity, 24ct gold is also the most expensive version of gold by weight.

18ct gold

18ct gold is of 75% gold and 25% other alloyed metal/s. In many countries, including Australia, this is the most commonly used purity of gold used in jewellery as it offers a very good compromise between price and purity (and excellent colour). It is regarded as the European standard purity of gold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Good quality gold is not made of 24 carat, in fact it is very rarely used for jewellery, other than for marriage in China and India.

24ct gold

Pure gold is generally considered to be too soft to make jewellery with on its own, however, it may be used for gilding, plating or for making ceremonial objects. It has a luminous, rich and warm golden colour. Given it's purity, 24ct gold is also the most expensive version of gold by weight.

18ct gold

18ct gold is of 75% gold and 25% other alloyed metal/s. In many countries, including Australia, this is the most commonly used purity of gold used in jewellery as it offers a very good compromise between price and purity (and excellent colour). It is regarded as the European standard purity of gold.

I do not believe your opening statement, regardless of your link.

3 hours ago, starky said:

Without going into depth on your whole reply and, for me, unnecessary explanation of gold in Thailand, which I have been buying since 1998, that is not my experience and individual results may vary. If you just walk in off the street and pick something you pay baht weight at the Gold price of that day give or take. Custom jewellery on the other hand is a different beast. I have had many rings, bracelets and necklaces custom made over the years and the most intricate only cost 800 baht per baht weight which was 3200 for a 4 baht bracelet I had made. So I'll agree to disagree. Compare gold prices here to a shitty dental floss 9k or 18k gold chain from a Prouds or Michael Hills in Australia and you will get my drift.

LOL> You can't disagree with prices I have paid and quoted. I paid what I paid, I was quoted what I was quoted. Having visited a lot of gold shops, I have a fairly good idea what they charge.

I have also paid 750 baht for manufacturing cost for 1-baht of gold. That particular shop still has such deals, but the cost varies depending on what piece you buy. I suspect you haven't bought for a while and/or your pieces were more basic. They have changed a lot over the years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:
6 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

24ct gold

18ct gold

I do not believe your opening statement, regardless of your link.

He loves to paste Googled links. If the link says it, it has to be true.

Prima Gold in Thailand sells 24k (99.9%) gold jewellery and it is spectacular.    http://www.primagold.co.th/en/

There are other 24k gold jewellery shops around the world too. 

Yes, it is soft, but you know that going in. If it is damaged, you still have pure gold to sell as scrap.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I understood the OP is interested in buying gold not selling it. I have sold gold in pawn shops and they used a magnet to do a quick check before they analysed it further. The ones that failed the magnet test they gave back, the ones that passed they tested further to gauge purity. I don't understand how you thought I was sugesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't understand why you thought I was suggesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops because I wasn't.

Do magnets stick to 14k and 18k gold? I don't think the alloys they use are iron.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I understood the OP is interested in buying gold not selling it. I have sold gold in pawn shops and they used a magnet to do a quick check before they analysed it further. The ones that failed the magnet test they gave back, the ones that passed they tested further to gauge purity. I don't understand how you thought I was sugesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops?

Magnet test is to check if steel is stainless or not never heard of it used in gold

Unless they're making sure your not selling them a gold plated block of tungsten etc 

9 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Magnet test is to check if steel is stainless or not never heard of it used in gold

Unless they're making sure your not selling them a gold plated block of tungsten etc 

Tungsten Carbide is paramagnetic, meaning that it is only very slightly attracted to magnets.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

He loves to paste Googled links. If the link says it, it has to be true.

Prima Gold in Thailand sells 24k (99.9%) gold jewellery and it is spectacular.    http://www.primagold.co.th/en/

And you like to change the subject to be always right.

The subject at hand was that Simoh1490 claimed that MOST jewellery in Europe was made out of 24 Carat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

And you like to change the subject to be always right.

The subject at hand was that Simoh1490 claimed that MOST jewellery in Europe was made out of 24 Carat.

BS! I corrected that issue in post 33, I refer to most good quality gold jewellery not most jewellery - no games from you please!

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

That compares to western gold jewellery where most gold jewellery is made from 24 carat or 99.9% pure gold,

News to me as most of the gold I ever saw on sale in the UK was 9 carat and when you wanted to sell it, you got scrap price for it, which was abysmal. 

• Like 2

Just now, xylophone said:

News to me as most of the gold I ever saw on sale in the UK was 9 carat and when you wanted to sell it, you got scrap price for it, which was abysmal. 

We've already covered that point, the error was mine in that omitted the word "quality" , it should have read, most quality gold jewellery.

2 hours ago, j8k said:

I would never buy gold here.

I don't trust any Thais and particularly those  involved in precious metals!

The gold market in Thailand is safe and a worthwhile investment. I have sold gold back on many occasions and never had any problems. I've also sold 18k gold in gold shops and got the going rate for gold.

I really don't understand your problem with it other than you needed an excuse to voice your opinion of Thais in general, which is way off topic here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

What else would you expect if you're selling 9k (karat.  Carat is a measure of diamond weight) gold to a jeweller. Of course, they will scrap it and only give you the value of the gold. Unless it was a pawnbroker who buys and sells second-hand jewellery that's all you can expect.

• Like 1

I don't understand why you thought I was suggesting any illegal behaviour in Thai gold shops because I wasn't.

Do magnets stick to 14k and 18k gold? I don't think the alloys they use are iron.

You said "They know their gold. You won't fool them." I can't work out why you mentioned fooling them? I was just talking about my experiences selling it in the past.

7 hours ago, janclaes47 said:
7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Really? Never seen 24K gold jewellery in the west

west of Thailand you can find 24k gold jewelry in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chrisdoc said:

You said "They know their gold. You won't fool them." I can't work out why you mentioned fooling them? I was just talking about my experiences selling it in the past.

They know how to test any item of gold jewellery for purity. This is a well-established industry in Thailand and they know their trade. What experiences did you have in the past? Normally you go in, present the item, they test it and give you what it is worth based on the spot price of gold at that particular point in time. Of course, they at make at least 5% in commission. When you sell it it is best to go back to the shop where you bought it as they will normally give you a better price. Each shop puts their unique stamp on all they sell.

They know how to test any item of gold jewellery for purity. This is a well-established industry in Thailand and they know their trade. What experiences did you have in the past? Normally you go in, present the item, they test it and give you what it is worth based on the spot price of gold at that particular point in time. Of course, they at make at least 5% in commission. When you sell it it is best to go back to the shop where you bought it as they will normally give you a better price. Each shop puts their unique stamp on all they sell.

I did not say I have any experience buying or selling gold in Thailand. I have Thai gold but my girlfriend bought it for me. Are you sure you have read the OP's original post? They asked about why gold is so cheap and is it fake or real and how do you know if it is real. I just said it is an important part of their traditional economic system and has very high purity. I just related that I had sold some gold before I came to Thailand and they had used a magnet to test it. I was not sure of the purpose of this test but I'm sure by now the OP knows all about it which I guess is the purpose of a forum.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Naam said:

the magnet was used on your gold to detect gamma-radiation. if the magnet changes colour from grey to a purple red your gold should be properly washed and dried (don't use the microwave!). if after testing the colour of the magnet is more blueish with little yellow dots your gold emits rather harmless delta-radiation, id est neither you nor your Thai girlfriend are in imminent danger.

No way did i believe you, so, i tried it, and, be gorah be jesus, your right. Thanks mate for the tip.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I kinda took it for granted that everyone understood we are talking about gold jewellery here, especially since that what the OP refers to! With that small inconvenient fact in mind: Thai gold jewellery is predominantly made from 96.2% pure gold or 22-carat gold rather than anything else and is typically referred to as Thai gold. That compares to western gold jewellery where most gold jewellery is made from 24 carat or 99.9% pure gold, in Thailand, this is referred to western or farang gold. Now, do you still have a problem with that or do you need more help!

Sorry I do not follow.  Most of the gold jewelry for sale in the west is 14k or 18k, (I think I read that is around 56% gold).  This gold has alot of other metals added in to make it stronger and which is why it is popular in the west, in spite of having lower gold content.  The mark up on the workmanship is also added into western gold's price.

Just now, torrzent said:

Sorry I do not follow.  Most of the gold jewelry for sale in the west is 14k or 18k, (I think I read that is around 56% gold).  This gold has alot of other metals added in to make it stronger and which is why it is popular in the west, in spite of having lower gold content.  The mark up on the workmanship is also added into western gold's price.

Read the whole thread for the correction and clarifcation.

On 3/24/2018 at 8:25 PM, Chrisdoc said:

That is why it is so pure and true gold colour.

Not quite true...it is possible to adjust the colour of the retail gold (from the mined stuff) which is why the colour of retail gold may be different between Thailand, India etc.  "True" mined gold colour may be different.

15 hours ago, tropo said:

What else would you expect if you're selling 9k (karat.  Carat is a measure of diamond weight) gold to a jeweller. Of course, they will scrap it and only give you the value of the gold. Unless it was a pawnbroker who buys and sells second-hand jewellery that's all you can expect.

What I was trying to convey was that although it was called "gold", it actually consisted of other metals as well, so that the real gold content was much less, hence the poor resale/scrap value. 

IMO many every day folk bought 9k gold items (which was the majority on sale in the UK then) not really knowing/thinking what the real gold value was.

19 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Actually in India, most of the gold on offer is 22 karat.

Edited by torrzent