Protesters call on Army to end support for NCPO

rooster59

Protesters call on Army to end support for NCPO

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Sunday Nation

ad93ba9f832b9232f769c4ea7d202ea2-sld.jpeg

Pro-democracy activists yesterday called on the Army to stop supporting the military-led National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and their role in politics, and to make an election this year possible.

Military officers must go back to doing their jobs of protecting the country, not administering it, the young protesters said.

The activists called for the military to stop serving the coup makers who, they said, were taking away the rights and freedom of the people. If not, the Army would be targeted along with the NCPO in future demonstrations, they said.

Although current circumstances suggest that an election could only take place in February next year at the earliest, demonstration leaders stood firm in their demand that the poll must happen in November this year.

“This demand is not impossible. If the NCPO and the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) are willing to do it, the election can take place this year,” activist Sirawith Seritiwat said.

Protesters have threatened to stage a large-scale demonstration in May unless all their demands are met. May will mark the fourth anniversary of the coup.

The activists stressed that the NCPO must step down and reduce its role to that of a caretaker government organising the election.

“Elected governments leave office every four years. The NCPO this year should allow the election [to go ahead] so people can vote again,” said Rangsiman Rome.

The protest yesterday was the fourth in a series of demonstrations planned by the Democracy Demonstration Group since last month, when the legislature amended the organic law on the election of MPs to effectively put off the election by three months.

Prior to that, according to junta leader General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s promise to US president Donald Trump, the election was to be held in November this year.

The march yesterday was joined by more than 300 people who were protesting against military rule and calling for a November election.

Some 100 police officers were deployed to contain the march. The two earlier demonstrations, which took place on a university campus, were not met with the same measures.

Yesterday, some activists planned to ride on a truck with amplifiers and make political speeches during their march, but this was obstructed by police officers. They had to abandon the truck and got on a smaller pick up truck instead to lead the protesters on foot to the Royal Thai Army. which is about four kilometres away from the demonstration venue, Thammasat University Tha Prachan Campus.

Blocked by officers, protesters were unable to get inside the Army so they stopped and camped at the front gate to continue protesting and making political speech at 7pm.

As of press time, the assembly had not ended but protest leaders said it would end at 8 pm.

NCPO spokesman Maj-General Piyapong Klinpan, meanwhile, said that officers had been dispatched to facilitate the activity, ensuring it did not affect traffic and commuters.

“If the activities violate any law or order, there will be consequences,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30341666

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-25
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, debate101 said:

Fantastic. It's about time. Reform the military ASAP. Their leaders must follow the laws of the country, and they must stand with the people, who are the country, hold sovereignty, and pay their salaries.

"Reform the military ASAP"....How could anyone do that?

The people do not really hold sovereignty and have never done so-any posturing on this subject is but a mere fig leaf disguising the ugly truth.

It is a serious question.

• Like 1

That perfect storm that we saw, around the time of Prayut's 'soldier to politician' reincarnation, is now well and truly brewing.

With the NCPO's authority being challenged and Prayut desperate not to lose favour - and votes - I think he'll be having sleepless nights this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Blocked by officers, protesters were unable to get inside the Army so they stopped and camped at the front gate to continue protesting a

wow; That would have been fun if they have gotten inside the army locale

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

That perfect storm that we saw, around the time of Prayut's 'soldier to politician' reincarnation, is now well and truly brewing.

With the NCPO's authority being challenged and Prayut desperate not to lose favour - and votes - I think he'll be having sleepless nights this weekend.

i dont think so. surely you know about big money arrogance?

is like " protest all you want, you cant do anything about it. 555 555 555

i watched this streaming live last night on Facebook.

unfortunately a lot of Marxist Communist Che Guevara tee shirts in the crowd and hipsters wearing red star berets. Not the way I want things to go.   

be careful what you "like" on facebook.

especially if you use your real name.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

At the last 'free' election before the latest coup, the conscripts in the Army were ordered to vote against Yingluck. Being sensible peasant boys, mostly from the NE, they all voted FOR Yingluck. I know because by b/f was one of them.

Life is full of opportunities ...

Yes-but what happened then?

There is no real concept of sovereignty "of the people,for the people,by the people" in Thailand or in Laos,Cambodia or Myanmar for that matter.

Edited by Odysseus123

This gathering is obviously more than 5 people. If the junta do nothing about this, I can see many more and larger protests happening. The natives are restless...and I would wager they are not all red-shirt supporters. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

It'll come. Culturally we're in about 1958 here. Material prosperity is increasing, the peasants are getting less poor, but education lags behind, there is low level of political savvy, no ecological nous etc etc. But the new generations can see the rest of the world thru their mobile gadgets. Wait for 1968 ...

I understand what you are saying and admire your optimism.

I too hope that modern communication gadgets will open a new window to the world.

And in any case, who and what are these "red-shirt supporters"? Communists under the bed? I don't think so. Just some poor peasants trying to stick up for themselves for the first time ever ...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the NCPO must step down and reduce its role to that of a caretaker government organising the election

And when the House elects a prime minister, the cabinet position of Minister of Defense shall be filled with a civilian - active duty military officer will be disqualified. The RTM is not an Independent Organization nor a Constitutional Organization that exists outside the Executive Branch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

And when the House elects a prime minister, the cabinet position of Minister of Defense shall be filled with a civilian - active duty military officer will be disqualified. The RTM is not an Independent Organization nor a Constitutional Organization that exists outside the Executive Branch.

Would a retired military man be acceptable? You know, like a Mad Dog?

The usual elements are in place.

The stage is set for the "Tiananmen" moment (as it has been before).

Any further speculation about what will happen "post-moment" would require a conversation that cannot take place on these pages.

Nothing to do but sit it out and wait........here in the UK.

• Like 1