Top box / Panniers

jackdd

When looking at the different options for top boxes and panniers they seem to be either not sturdy or to be quite expensive.

We are living in Thailand, loans are cheap, so i thought it should be much cheaper (For a set from Givi you pay like 40k THB) to just get some custom made boxes

I don't know if it makes sense to build the rack by yourself, but in case that gets too complicated i would get a rack for the motorbike from for example Givi and then get the boxes built.

Of course Aluminium is not cheap, but i expect that building 3 boxes takes a shop probably a day, so we are talking about maybe 1000THB for the shop, and whatever the cost for the Aluminium and other small parts is. Which should be way less than 40k

Did somebody here ever do this? How much did you pay for it?

Which kind of shop can usually do this stuff? (Metal works, welding Aluminium)

Actually aluminium isn't that expensive here...I've bought a bit from local merchants here in Chiang Mai and was amazed at such low cost.

I have not had a pannier box project mind....

Even Al tread plate is available of varying thickness.  However I prefer rounded edges or soft sided panniers....not so hard on ones shins if you have a slight accident, and generally lighter to carry.

I have seen some huge boxes up here in CM...more like a house on wheels!  Travel light I say...

I tried to find some infos from somebody who did this on Google, but even looking in Google in Thai didn't show anything.

But at least i stumbled across an cheaper ready to buy alternative: http://www.tourfellathailand.com

This comes from China and seems to be a Touratech copy, but i couldn't find anything negative about them, people seem to be happy with them. The price for Panniers + Top box + Rack seems to be in the 25-30k range depending on what exactly you want.

If i come across some welding shop i will stop and ask them about this.