Foreign tourists fined for inappropriate behaviour at famous Bangkok temple

rooster59

I don't think that it is relevant but just for the accuracy the dominant confession in Serbia is Christian Eastern Orthodoxy of the Serbian Orthodox Church. And I see this story as another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism. I am  almost sure that this couple won't ever come back to Thailand. Maybe it was their first day in Bangkok and first time in Asia. They did nothing to deserve such public crucifixion. But what can one expect in the country of submarines. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

I don't think that it is relevant but just for the accuracy the dominant confession in Serbia is Christian Eastern Orthodoxy of the Serbian Orthodox Church. And I see this story as another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism. I am  almost sure that this couple won't ever come back to Thailand. Maybe it was their first day in Bangkok and first time in Asia. They did nothing to deserve such public crucifixion. But what can one expect in the country of submarines. 

there should be some understanding of cultural ignorance and i believe the bib pointed that out already. the fine and punishment must remain. absolutely i agree having it posted all over social media is wrong. that's the way the world is now IMO

Edited by Happy enough

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

utter rubbish. and i don't mean that offensively. there should be some understanding of cultural ignorance and i believe the bib pointed that out already. the fine and punishment must remain. absolutely i agree having it posted all over social media is wrong. that's the way the world is now IMO

Well, I could mention disproportionate punishments when it comes to supposedly wealthy foreigners or turning the country into a bath of cultural virtues disregarding the feeding hand etc. It's true that most of the newcomers unfortunately don't dig deep enough to know more about the country they are visiting. I does help but many just don't. They travel without insurance, renting motorbikes without driving licenses etc. I still believe that in a case as this one a warning and explanation would suffice. But ...ups, someone has to learn English to be able to do that. "YOU 10.000 NOW. YOU YOU!!!       

• Like 1

...a couple was innocently sightseeing and snapping souvenir photos...after all...they paid for a holiday...

...a Thai person (?) came up from the other side....and photographed up the innocent woman's skirt...!!!

...who was being inappropriate....

...multiple posts suggest that tourists are often being followed...for who knows what reason(s).....???

...perhaps to garner attention and accolades by posting unsuspecting 'wrongdoers' in the social media accounts.....???

...pathetic...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...a couple was innocently sightseeing and snapping souvenir photos...after all...they paid for a holiday...

...a Thai person (?) came up from the other side....and photographed up the innocent woman's skirt...!!!

...who was being inappropriate....

...multiple posts suggest that tourists are often being followed...for who knows what reason(s).....???

...perhaps to garner attention and accolades by posting unsuspecting 'wrongdoers' in the social media accounts.....???

...pathetic...

Yes it is pathetic and if the lady was fined 5000 for sitting in in the wrong place and the man was fined for taking a photo 5000 Baht as well, by this logic the Thai poster who took the photo and posted it in media should be fined 5000 as well. Me thinking too mut ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This Thai witch-hunt on visitors and resident farang is simply vindictive. Most Thais are jealous and the authorities see this as an oppotunity to put the non-Thai in their place.

These two were just enjoying their holiday. Can't see they did anything wrong. 

As for Serbians being Catholic; well no ones perfect.

So you not respect Thai religion too 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

5,000 Baht each for "obscenity".

In a country with Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

Hmm... a wee bit hypocritical, aren't we?

Yeah.  To those that have been in country a bit, it can seem a bit hard to reconcile except for the marvelous dichotomies that Thailand often embraces.

5000 baht each for as good as desecrating one of Thailand's major religious sites?

And a year in jail or 100,000 baht for dropping a cigarette end on a beach?

Thai law is upside down, even when it is enforced.

There is no excuse for Eastern Europeans (or anyone else)  to not know the laws and basic cultural respect before they travel abroad.

Ignorance of the law is no defence.

They, and the two bum (showing) boys should have got a 5 year ban from returning also.

:1zgarz5:

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

5,000 Baht each for "obscenity".

In a country with Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

Hmm... a wee bit hypocritical, aren't we?

Er, are Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza in or near a highly revered historical and religious site?

Hard for some to know that different standards of behavior are required for different locations perhaps.

Wonder if they'd pose for similar photos in a Serbian Orthodox church back home?

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah.  To those that have been in country a bit, it can seem a bit hard to reconcile except for the marvelous dichotomies that Thailand often embraces.

Not really that hard. Go to Stuttgart and you can visit the world's largest brothel. But I wouldn't advise behaving the same way when visiting Cologne Cathedral.

Most countries have their own unique no-nos and finding out what is acceptable and not is common sense. But you've got to be specially dumb not to imagine that religious and historical sites don't deserve thoughtful respect.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nowhereman said:

I don't think this couple's spending power will be especially missed. Nor the vast hordes of incredibly wealthy Serbs flooding Thailand with their money.

But, go and take a similar photo in a Serbian Orthodox church and see how you're treated. Be a tad more than 5k ThB fine equivalent!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mistertraveler said:

I had been in Isaan for 4 years and frequently invited to their “Mua Lam Sing” or party just inside the fence of their temples, even beside the temple...where almost naked dancers dancing all way almost tearing their panties while drinks served all around and drunkin’ masters were showing all their drama of being “very conservative” people and they were not “obscene”? 

Can I get invited?

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, gbswales said:

Frankly if the picture shown is typical of the ones taken I cannot see any reason for people to get offended - its a pretty normal holiday picture that might have been taken anywhere in the world - tame enough to have been taken in Westminster Abbey or Notre Dame - there are very few places in the world where legs are seen as offensive.  If some "self-righteous" person had not posted the pic the only place it would have been seen is in the couples photo album.  Even if the couple were doing something offensive then a quiet word from an official is all that is needed.  Now they will be telling the tale back home and making other people think twice about coming to to Thailand. If Thai people are so concerned about their temples then I suggest they demand they not be promoted as tourist attractions

It is not legs that are causing offence, it is sitting on the temple wall that is clearly banned and indicated by notices and flashing her knickers (assuming she is wearing some).

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 12:08 PM, mickymouse1 said:

Obscenity is prevalent all over Thailand and by Thai people, this is not obscenit by comparison ?

You mean obscene or obscenity, not obscenit...... I entirely disagree with your comments. One hardly find obscenity in Thailand (if at all) in holy places, like temples, churches and the like.

• Like 1

Demonstrations of that sort of behaviour are hardly the exception for many foreign tourists and expats.

Not condoning or condemning but some of these people live in a rarified atmosphere with zero respect for themselves or the feelings of others.

Sad state of affairs all in all

• Like 1

Apparently, fining tourists for "inappropriate" behavior and telling women to cover up during Songkran (to avoid sexual harassment) are more important than investigating generals possessing expensive watches "borrowed" from friends and finding billionaire cop-killers. 

Thailand 4.0 my a**

Edited by varun