Situation[s] Re ; Underage Thai taking Motorcycle against Falang's Refusal, & then crashing, with ensuing damage, it & admited to Hospital, & doing Police Report ?

Dear Fellow Thaivisa.com Posters,

What is / are the Situation Re ; Underage Thai :

1st

taking Motorcycle against Falang's Refusal Policy to "them personally", & "any person other than Falang's wife / partner" ?

2nd

crashing [ because of dog perhaps ], with ensuing damage, the motorcycle such that new parts are required as replacement at least ?

3rd

being admitted to Hospital bed overnight ?

4th

doing Police Report with wish by Thai's family to benefit / compensate their hospital expenses from basic insurance that is on motorcycle ?

Thanking in advance,- all yee with constructive replies.

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

9 minutes ago, papa al said:

What is your question?

I gave the sequence of typical events ;

I  posed each as a separate question because I figure each is important in itself, & in relation to the others.

But, I accept ur request for I to put this enquiry as 1 question instead.

So, with reference to the opening post,- I wish to know ;

What is the proper way to handle this scenario ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

OP - your question is erm... quite difficult to actually follow.... 

An underage person borrows a farangs bike, crashes it (dog runs out), bike repair will cost, there will also be a hospital bill for the underage person who borrowed (stole) the bike.

So: What is the proper way to handle this? that depends on your level of insurance. 

Will the basic bike insurance pay for the hospital? (I'm I'm not mistaken, I think that it just covers damage to a 3rd party vehicle - up to a certain amount and medical bills for a 3rd party up to a limited amount)

If I am not mistaken the question is: What does and doesn't the basic bike insurance cover?

(If I have the wrong idea.. I tried... perhaps rewriting your post in a manner which is easier for TV members to unravel may reward you with some more accurate responses)...

What is the proper way to handle this? what is the 'farangs' relationship to the Thai family or injured juvenile?  

If a family member and you can afford it, pay for bills and learn - keep your keys in your possession. Perhaps have the juvenile work off the costs of repiar etc...  it all depends on your relationship. 

If a neighbors child etc... charge the parents for the damage... leave the bill to them... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP - your question is erm... quite difficult to actually follow.... 

An underage person borrows a farangs bike, crashes it (dog runs out), bike repair will cost, there will also be a hospital bill for the underage person who borrowed (stole) the bike.

Will the basic bike insurance pay for the hospital? (I'm I'm not mistaken, I think that it just covers damage to a 3rd party vehicle - up to a certain amount and medical bills for a 3rd party up to a limited amount)

If I am not mistaken the question is: What does and doesn't the basic bike insurance cover?

(If I have the wrong idea.. I tried... perhaps rewriting your post in a manner which is easier for TV members to unravel may reward you with some more accurate responses)...

Police wanting Falang's details [ motorcycle papers at least ; perhaps more ? ] ;

What are implications for Falang in what is presented on surface  [ at least ] as opportunity for family of underage Thai to get money from insurance for to pay hospital [ I am told that THB 2,000  is the likes of charge at government hospital for 1 night in rural Thailand ] ?

Is Falang in any way vulnerable vis-a-vis the law for the underage Thai having done what they did ?

Process being relayed to Falang smells fishy to Falang's cost ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Is this scenario actual or hypothetical?

If actually happened,

you'll prolly not be able to collect bike repair costs,

and good chance insurance will cover hospital fees up to 50,000baht

if kid has license.

Is the dog okay?

If scenario is hypothetical,

simple,

just don't let kid get key.

Farang worry too mut.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Police wanting Falang's details [ motorcycle papers at least ; perhaps more ? ] ;

What are implications for Falang in what is presented on surface  [ at least ] as opportunity for family of underage Thai to get money from insurance for to pay hospital [ I am told that THB 2,000  is the likes of charge at government hospital for 1 night in rural Thailand ] ?

Is Falang in any way vulnerable vis-a-vis the law for the underage Thai having done what they did ?

Process being relayed to Falang smells fishy to Falang's cost ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Your question: Is the 'Farang' vulnerable?

Is the 'Farang' the legal guardian of the underage Thai who stole the motorcycle?

The legal guardian may be vulnerable for it is under their care that an 'underage' person was able to access the keys and take the bike - in which case, the 'farangs' bike was stolen, the 'farang' is also a victim. 

But again, the question is: Does your bike insurance cover medical costs? would it cover the 'farangs' medical costs in the event he had an accident on the insured bike? (and to how much?)

Now.... IF this is simply about the family of an unlicensed Thai (who is under the legal age at which they can ride a motorcycle) trying to get money from the 'farang'... then the 'farang' can just say no...  If 'the farangs' insurance covers repairs then walk away. If 'the farangs' insurance (which could be 3rd party only) does not cover damages, then 'the farang' should switch the situation and charge the Thai's guardians for damages. 

Is this farang you by any chance?

Adult mother [ Thai ] of Thai underage obstinately insisting that said Thai underage will ride the motorcycle when the mother requests errand.

Falang insists not allowed.

Otherwise, motorcycle available for mother ONLY to drive.

The THB 50,000 that u mention is very interesting ;

Maybe, in this scenario the hospital "really" 8-) not public but rather a private clinic somehow separate or within public hospital ?

Perhaps there is something tricky going on so that bigger dividend is paid out by insurance with Falang not to know, & all Thai in the loop getting various parts of the bigger than THB 2,000 amount ?

Perhaps Falang should just :

1_

forego claiming on Insurance

2_

pay the hospital bill fully or 50 %

3_

repair the motorcycle at Falang's cost

4_

take away the motorcycle from that location

2 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

1_

forego claiming on Insurance

2_

pay the hospital bill fully or 50 %

3_

repair the motorcycle at Falang's cost

4_

take away the motorcycle from that location

If 4. then 1., 2., 3. are mute.

Hypothetically

Insurance: http://www.rvp.co.th

Step_claim_eng.png

If you call their callcenter they can probably answer your questions. If the driver is at fault the limit is 30k THB for medical expenses, they won't pay for any damages to the bike.

Did the driver have a driving license? How many cc did this motorbike have? Afaik between 15 and 18 years they may only drive up to 110cc. I would expect that this insurance only pays if he had a license.

But afaik it doesn't matter much if this insurance pays, because anything that is not covered by them is covered by the 30THB hospital scheme that every Thai is eligible to.

So you should not pay anything for the hospital, because there are no costs that he has to pay by himself.

The damage to your bike... try to somehow get money from him, or just pay it by yourself, and in the future hide your keys.

12 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

1st

taking Motorcycle against Falang's Refusal Policy to "them personally", & "any person other than Falang's wife / partner" ?

Theft

9 hours ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Adult mother [ Thai ] of Thai underage obstinately insisting that said Thai underage will ride the motorcycle when the mother requests errand.

Then it is the mother's responsibility because she gave him permission to break the law.

If he doesn't have a valid driver's license then I doubt the insurance will pay anything?

• Like 1

I think you have bigger problems that the hypothetical questions you asked.

If said Mother cannot guarantee that her said Spawn will not use the motorbike, than revoke said motorcycle privileges from said Mother and make her walk. 

Mother will let her little Princess ride the motorbike when you are 5 minutes gone from the property. Stat.

Insolent, deadbeat son of Thai Father can ride a pushbike.

• Like 1