Where Do I Start

glenbat

Apart from feminine BG talk I know nothing, and would like to learn. I've got the linguaphone course CD's but havent really listened in any depth yet, and have just learn to write my own name (In Thai I might add, I've been doing it in English for 3 years now :o )

Would it be easy for me to learn to read/write Thai or just concentrate on spoken Thai?

And would trying to find a thai speaker in UK, maybe a restaurant etc be much better than from a course of CD's?

Any pointers greatly appreciated

I feel that it is very important to learn to read Thai script, if only the basics.

"Teach Yourself Thai" by David Smyth is an excellent book for the beginner, Takes you through it a little at a time and is not too overwhelming. You can get it with tapes, probably CD's by now.

If you are in a bargirl environment, then you can probably hear the terrible pronunciation of most Farangs who attempt to speak Thai.

Being able to read will improve your pronunciation no end as the phonetic system has far too many shortcomings! Saying that, I satill like to use the phonetics as a back up as it helps with unwritten vowels, when a word has รร (2 R sounds that are pronounced nothing like you'd expect) and also R sounds that are not spoken at all.

A little effort to learn to read at the beginning will be invaluble later on.

Speaking Thai with a native speaker is definitely the best way to hone your skills.

Don't try to learn too much too quickly when self studying. Study at a pace that will allow you to absorb.

• 2 weeks later...