Grab/Uber

jonwilly

I just received an email from Uber saying:

Uber will be combining our operations with Grab to lead you in the next chapter of ridesharing in Singapore and across Southeast Asia.

What this means for you: we will be transitioning our services over to the Grab platform by April 8, 2018, so all requests after that date should be made from the Grab app. However, you can still use the Uber app in more than 80 countries around the world.

Sort of looks like it's only Singapore for now, but I wonder what the "across Southeast Asia" bit is about.

Oh wait, I should have googled this before posting that.

SINGAPORE: Grab announced on Monday (Mar 26) that it has acquired Uber’s Southeast Asia operations, confirming reports of the merger that surfaced over the weekend.

Grab said it will integrate Uber’s ridesharing and food delivery business in the region into its platform.

"This deal is the largest-ever of its kind in Southeast Asia," ride-hailing service Grab said in a media release on Monday.

"With the combined business, Grab will drive towards becoming the number one online-to-offline mobile platform in Southeast Asia and a major player in food delivery."

As part of the acquisition, Uber will take a 27.5 per cent stake in Grab and Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi will join Grab's board.

It will take over Uber’s operations and assets in Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/grab-uber-confirms-acquisition-of-in-southeast-asia-grabfood-10076136

5 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Hope now Grab can jack up prices to support the drivers.  Anyway, i prefer a tuk-tuk ride when in T'land.  Shitty Hondas, Toyotas and all the rest can be had in every city, but only T'land has cool tuk-tuks.

Ok, so you prefer a "cool tuk tuk" over a "shitty honda" or Toyota.

Particularly at this time of year, I do not find tuk tuks to be very cool at all. I think I prefer an air-conditioned shitty Honda while sitting stuck in traffic at midday.

Hope now Grab can jack up prices to support the drivers.  Anyway, i prefer a tuk-tuk ride when in T'land.  Shitty Hondas, Toyotas and all the rest can be had in every city, but only T'land has cool tuk-tuks.

Why? Fact is when there are discounts the drivers get the full amount ! Uber or grab take the loss! But now it’s a monopoly the prices are going to be higher and many of us won’t use the service in Bangkok !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Now that there will no longer be any competition between Uber and Grab, I cannot imagine that things will be any better for either riders or drivers. Both offered monetary incentives to attract and retain drivers, and bonuses for keeping active with higher numbers of trips. Both offered promotions with discounts for riders. While I suppose they will need base fares to remain competitive with songthaew and taxis, why would Grab want to continue these now that they are the only game in town?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Grab was cheap. Those you reference are expensive.

Taxi co-operatives own most of the metered taxis so they are not expensive they are normal taxis!

Independent taxi companies, All Thai Taxi, for example, are normal-rate metered taxis so they are not expensive!

Owner-driven taxis are normal-rate metered taxis so they are not expensive!

Anybody ever caught a metered taxi that would actually turn the meter on ?

When I asked a driver many years ago "why do you have a meter if you wont use it ?"

His answer .Its the law to have a meter ,you can't get a licence without one but you are not required to use it.

I already knew the answer was coming just wanted confirmation.

Uber /Grab was a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

Taxi co-operatives own most of the metered taxis so they are not expensive they are normal taxis!
Independent taxi companies, All Thai Taxi, for example, are normal-rate metered taxis so they are not expensive!
Owner-driven taxis are normal-rate metered taxis so they are not expensive!

Makes everything ok then! All honest metered taxis! Fantasy world!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Makes everything ok then! All honest metered taxis! Fantasy world!

I didn't say anything about all taxi drivers being honest, I was pointing out that metered taxis are not more expensive.  Incidentally, the fantasy world is the one that you live in, where all metered taxi drivers are dishonest.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

There are plenty in Bangkok, so not impossible.

When I worked in Bangkok, around 10 years ago, there were over 200,000 taxis in the greater Bangkok area,there would be more now.

I was a frequent user .Only one time did I experience a driver not wanting to turn the meter on and that was at the airport,he thinking I was a tourist.When I told him I lived in Bangkok on it went.

My regular driver,near my home, told me that after paying for the lease of the car and his fuel costs he was lucky to clear 4-500 baht for a 12 hr shift and he had to cruise around hoping for a fare, they cant pull up on the side of the road like in CM.

CM so called "metered taxis" had it pretty good charging more than double what you would pay in Bangkok ,those days are over thanks to competition.

• Like 2

You certainly had a better taxi experience than i have, Sparkles. I cannot count how many times a Bangkok taxi driver refused the meter or my requested destination, and yes, I speak passable Thai. And it's not just me, it's Thai people who live in Bangkok as well. I think this is a major contributing factor to the success of Uber and Grab.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:21 PM, chingmai331 said:

Tuks are the "cockroach" of the motor industry. Good only for very short and pricey jaunts.

Had friends visit recently and we used Uber a few times to get in out of town(ChiangMai),first time I used and it was a very pleasant experience. The drivers knew exactly where they were going, their rides clean,tidy and spacious and the pickup was within minutes.Price point reasonable.

Look forward to GRAB.

20 minutes ago, anto said:

When you use the Uber promotion codes of B80 a ride off ,which may grant you a free ride are those  drivers still  compensated  ? 

I asked an Uber driver about this last week. Yes, they get the full fare. If you pay cash, Uber comps the rest with a deposit to their account. 

• Like 1

Just tried Grab. From pattaya to airport well over 2000 baht. 1000 baht can be got usually for the savy consumer.

I guess a second option if you're in a hurry. But, you know what they say, to one's own choose a mobile phone.

Edited by stud858

I predict prices will go up exactly 27.5% but I will still use them. Uber is better because it actually has my condo listed in search where grab does not. Anything is better than the tuk tuk/red truck pirates