Russian arrested in Bangkok for robbery was million baht MMA prize fighter in Pattaya

webfact

Russian arrested in Bangkok for robbery was million baht MMA prize fighter in Pattaya

1pm.jpg

More details have emerged about the Russian man arrested on warrants from his home country in Surawong Road, Bangkok on Friday.

Rustan Abdurakmanov, 35, was a well known MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) prize fighter who competed for million baht purses in Pattaya and China and won an MFC (Maximum Fighting Championship), reported Daily News.

But despite his fighting prowess and earning potential police are saying that Abdurakmanov was involved in serious crime in Russia before he fled to Thailand via South Korea in October 2016.

He used guns and knives to threaten and torture businessmen in the extorting of money according to two warrants from Russian authorities and Interpol.

Pol Lt Gen Suthipong Wongpin said that the Thais were informed of the fighter's murky past on March 20th and soon had him in custody.

In December 2014 while pretending to be a policeman in the city of Artem he beat up a security van driver and stole 210,000 roubles (120,000 baht). In April 2015 he abducted two Chinese businessmen from a wood yard at knifepoint before extorting $500.

The victims were handcuffed, taped and threatened with burning with a gas bottle.

Later the same month he was involved with others in a 915,000 rouble robbery of another businessman. He then fled to Asia.

He has had his right to stay in Thailand removed and is being prepared for deportation back to Russia.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-26

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

I watched a few YT videos on Russian Prisons. Not like the US where inmate gangs control everything inside, no question whatsoever as to who's in charge.

I think you need to stop watching fantasy TV programs about US prisons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 million baht.  33,000 USD give or take.  And that is the prize money, of which I can only guess he sees 1/2 of it after promoters, fees, taxes, sharks, etc.  Tough way to make a living.  Extortion and theft can sound pretty good to one that has few outs or legit ways to make significant money and that wants to make significant money

On 3/26/2018 at 8:00 PM, maximillian said:

Like what ?  Put him back in the army and keep him there among the lowest ranks ?

He is probably being recruited to fight against the England football hooligans.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 8:53 PM, gk10002000 said:

Extortion and theft can sound pretty good to one that has few outs or legit ways to make significant money and that wants to make significant money

Sounds suspiciously like another profession....

On 3/26/2018 at 9:14 AM, chippendale said:

So this enterprising fellow's total crime earnings amounted to just over a million roubles, a third-world currency worth even less than the baht :clap2::cheesy:  Enjoy your vacation in the Siberian gulag, chump.

Since this fine specimen was robbing and extorting in Russia, I'd say roubles were the natural currency, wouldn't you say?

Not sure what you mean by third-world currency. You can verify that roubles are ok by checking which is the predominant nationality on most Phuket beaches. The exchange rate dollar to rouble has been pretty stable in the last year, and as for the baht it has beaten most currencies esp. the dollar.

And yes, let's hope he is out of Thailand for good.

On 02/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, hyku1147 said:

Som  nam  na:

So, to whom does it refer?

It is generally spoken in the first person to the second.  In such circumstances it means "serves you right " or "you had it coming", "brought it on yourself" etc.  In this instance as it was a third person address I included both options so you would not think  I meant "YOU" if I said it as above.  Sorry if you were so confused.  I was not addressing you.  

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1