Help! 6 Day Overstay In Chiang Mai

Hi all,

After some concrete advise.

I have been on a Non Imm Multi Entry 'O' Visa based on marriage for the last 5 years or so.

I normally do my visa run to Mae Sai and get my 90 day stamp every 3 months.

However, for the first time ever, I have just looked at my passport and my visa ran out on 21st March, god knows how I missed it and never have done before!

We fly to Krabi tomorrow afternoon and want to get this sorted out.

I am leaving for China on 10th April for a weeks holiday. So will be leaving the country at that time.

I am panicking a bit as all hotels and flights are booked for both holidays!

Can I go to CM Immigration at Promenada tomorrow and pay the overstay fine and get a 30 day extension?

Any urgent advice would really be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, kjhbigv said:

Can I go to CM Immigration at Promenada tomorrow and pay the overstay fine and get a 30 day extension?

They won’t give you 30 days because that’s only for tourism, but they should give you 60 days, to visit your wife, as long as you pay the overstay fine.

Your wife will need to go with you. You'll need the original and copy of your marriage certificate, copies of your wife’s ID and Tabian Baan. I don’t know what proof of address they require at that office, but they may want a TM.30 completed by the owner/house-master/possessor of the property where you live.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

They won’t give you 30 days because that’s only for tourism, but they should give you 60 days, to visit your wife, as long as you pay the overstay fine.

Your wife will need to go with you. You'll need the original and copy of your marriage certificate, copies of your wife’s ID and Tabian Baan. I don’t know what proof of address they require at that office, but they may want a TM.30 completed by the owner/house-master/possessor of the property where you live.

Thanks for the advice. 

All 100% correct, I got my 60 days and there WAS an issue with proof of address.

Our landlord has never notified immigration (in years) or given us her ID or a completed TM.30. This was causing quite a problem and could have halted the whole process. I had to fill it out AND pay the 1500 baht fine for not being registered at our rental property. Eventually, we got proof of residence after a LOT of hassle and Immigration phoning the Landlord in the USA and giving her a lecture over the phone!

The 6 day overstay was a just a formality and only a very small indication/stamp of it in my passport.

Total cost 1500bht fine for residency cert (which owner is paying me), 3000bht for overstay and 1900bht for extension.

One question I do have, is that in my passport where they have given me the 60 days extension, under that, it reads "Please contact Immigration Office for a RE-ENTRY PERMIT before leaving Thailand"?

Surely, when I leave for China next week, for a week, my original Non Imm 'O' Visa kicks in when I come back? ie. 90 days again and therefore makes the above comment irrelevant? 

25 minutes ago, kjhbigv said:

One question I do have, is that in my passport where they have given me the 60 days extension, under that, it reads "Please contact Immigration Office for a RE-ENTRY PERMIT before leaving Thailand"?

Surely, when I leave for China next week, for a week, my original Non Imm 'O' Visa kicks in when I come back? ie. 90 days again and therefore makes the above comment irrelevant? 

That is standard nfo that is part of the extension stamp. No need for a re-entry permit since you have a multiple entry visa.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kjhbigv said:

You’re right. You don’t need a re-entry permit as you’ll get a new 90 days using the Non ‘O’ visa when you return.

A re-entry permit would only be required if you wanted to keep the 60 days alive during your trip the China, which in your case is unnecessary.

• Thanks 1

My advice is to get your marriage visa . It’s s pain the first time but it’s a lot easier, all you have to do when you get one is go to Chiang Mai immigration every 90 days 

I wondered how you got your visa , with intention to marry, I was told you can only get them outside Thailand , and in the UK you can’t get them any more , as I asked the Thai consulate in Cardiff

who should only give me a 90 visa , to get my marriage visa 

8 minutes ago, Foxter said:

I wondered how you got your visa , with intention to marry, I was told you can only get them outside Thailand

There is no visa you can get based upon the intention to marry a Thai now. In the past a few honorary consulates would issue one but that ended some time ago.

The only option is to enter on a tourist visa, get married and then either do a change of visa status at immigration or go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no visa you can get based upon the intention to marry a Thai now. In the past a few honorary consulates would issue one but that ended some time ago.

The only option is to enter on a tourist visa, get married and then either do a change of visa status at immigration or go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a non-o visa.

Cheers for that . I got the 90 day visa and then got a marriage voucher as. I would recommend this, 30 days is not enough time to get a marriage visa, as you never know what can happen.

if anyone is going to get married ,I would advise to get married in Thailand .ihad a hell of a time getting my uk marriage certificate “certified” the UK procedure is a pain . The marriage certificate has to ,only go,to Milton Keynes to be certified then send to Thsi embassy in London, no where else  This process will cost about £80. Then get them translated 

you must have a Uk address to do this as well

if you get a Thai marriage certificate it’s a lot easier

Just info for others 

3 hours ago, Foxter said:

My advice is to get your marriage visa . It’s s pain the first time but it’s a lot easier, all you have to do when you get one is go to Chiang Mai immigration every 90 days 

I wondered how you got your visa , with intention to marry, I was told you can only get them outside Thailand , and in the UK you can’t get them any more , as I asked the Thai consulate in Cardiff

who should only give me a 90 visa , to get my marriage visa 

I've been married 5 years and we all go to the UK every year for summer holiday, I just get a new Non-Imm "O" visa from London based on marriage/kid.

Even though I can get and qualify for a marriage visa, I quite like a day or two trip to Mae Sae, combined with the fact I take a holiday in the region (outside of Thailand) once a year, and a trip to the UK, it's not an inconvenience and fits in with my lifestyle.

• Like 1

It just goes to show, I get information from Cardiff Consulate and London Embassy give different advice. lol  So best go to London, as the Cardiff Consulate is a two men affair and parking is difficult . Its a shame they closed the Birmingham Consulate. 

10 minutes ago, Foxter said:

It just goes to show, I get information from Cardiff Consulate and London Embassy give different advice. lol  So best go to London, as the Cardiff Consulate is a two men affair and parking is difficult . Its a shame they closed the Birmingham Consulate. 

The UK Thai consulates can only issue Single Entry Non-immigrant 'O' visas. Only the Thai Embassy in London can issue Multiple Entry Visas, which are easily obtained by post.