Thai wordsmiths set to be featured in The Times for their brilliant English language skills

webfact

Thai wordsmiths set to be featured in The Times for their brilliant English language skills

TV-Scrab-2.jpg

Puttapong and Panupol (right) before their final games

Top Thai Scrabble players will be featured in the The Times newspaper in England next weekend after the local Scrabble season kicked off in Bangkok.

Thais are some of the most skillful exponents of the world's most popular English word game and thousands compete in Bangkok and up country tournaments.

This last weekend saw the opening leg of the 31st annual Thailand Grand Prix Championships at Central in Chaeng Wattana.

The final was played between Panupol Sajjayakorn who was the first non-native English speaker world champion when he won the title in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia while still in his teens in 2003.

TV-Scrab-1.jpg

Final board

Now in his mid-thirties the Scrabble grand master won his first 14 games of the tournament and met Puttapong Moonsarn in the final. Amazingly Puttapong won the last game and the title getting 50 point bonus plays of COAXINGS, HOLOGRAM and UNBEARS.

Panupol responded with TINSMITH and TOPLINER but fell just short of victory.

The next leg is at Central Rama 2 in May. The overall champion will receive an air ticket to England for the World Championships that will be held in Torquay in October.

Fellow competitor and Bangkok resident Gerry Carter who was seventh said that The Times columnist Paul Gallen had been in touch to feature the skills of the local Thai players in the London based newspaper.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-27

It is a relief that you are not into "shove h'penny" Rooster.

My gosh ThaiVisa would be boring.

And as for Daniknowefall MD for atV Vlogs. Gimme a break.

I expect this post to be deleted and to be be excluded.

As TV now, just like the powers that be, will not accept any critical comments

Interesting that the English language is derived from so many languages and is classified as a bastard language.  Some words used are still in their native form and have been used by the participants, e.g. et and vis (both Latin and in their original form), zek ( Russsian slang for a prison or a person in a labour camp), and Gadi (from India, Pakistan, Northern Kingdom of Israel).  Should they be allowed as they are adopted words and in their original languages, not English?  As mentioned by BigBadGeordie such words/expressions as "shove h'penny" would truly represent the English language. Incidentally, BBG it should be ha'penny.  Just curious.

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Should they be allowed as they are adopted words and in their original languages, not English?

If the adopted word comes onto widespread use (spoken or written) then the answer has always been yes. There's countless such examples in English history, and many from the era of colonialism, where words were enthusiastically embraced from the local language. Furthermore, many longstanding words have changed their spelling over the centuries. English is adaptive, and like you say a bastard language, in the finest sense. 

2 hours ago, saminoz said:

They might be able to place tiles correctly but I bet not one of them can hold a decent conversation in the language.

I'll tell you what I'll take you up on that bet. Shall we say a million baht...or would you like something larger?

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

I'll tell you what I'll take you up on that bet. Shall we say a million baht...or would you like something larger?

Maybe you should check the local gambling regulations before soliciting a wager! It's illegal, like drunk driving and prostitution.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Oh dear.  I guess I rattled the woolly jumper brigades cage again.

Shame!  LMAO

I'm thinking they're creating their own brand of the English language.  Probably will find it listed in the language section of software now as English (TH) to compliment the list English (US), English (UK), English (AU), etc.

7 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I'll tell you what I'll take you up on that bet. Shall we say a million baht.

Hey there, NO BETTING or they will confiscate the Scrabble Board or put a license on it.