Upset stomach - feeling dehydrated and dizzy

punchandjudy

Hi,

Since yesterday afternoon I have had a fairly bad upset stomach. I cannot remember eating anything out of the ordinary so can only assume it was the filter water from a food shop I went to.

This morning the diarrhoea got worse and I also started feeling very dizzy when standing up to the point I almost fainted.

I would rather try over the counter remedies instead of going to a hospital as I need to rest today.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone else felt dizzy with upset stomach / food poisoning? Any idea what the cause is? Eg. Dehydration or something else

2. Apart from Imodium medicine and electrolyte drinks and water, is there anything else I should try to rehydrate and treat the upset stomach?

There seems to be a medicine called "Activated Charcoal" which some have mentioned.

Thank you.

Dizziness in this situation usually reflects dehydration.

Plenty of fluids, including rehydration solutions, and activated charcoal along with rest will work most of the time.

If it persists, or there is high fever, or you are unable to keep fluids down then a trip to the hospital is in order.

The amount and color of your urine will indicate whether you are adequately hydrated. If you are urinating fairly often with lareg amount light in color, you are fine. Less often/,less amount and tea colored = you are dehydrated

I used to suffer similar and still do occasionally but found out I am allergic to msg, if there is a lot in the food I get pretty bad and it can last for a few days. Keep up the fluids and if you need to eat have something dry like  toast with no butter. MSG poisoning can be pretty bad in Thailand as some places spoon the crap into their food, we just order with no msg now and it makes a big difference to me. You are better off not taking things to block you up as you want to get rid of the junk inside you, take charcoal pills as they will filter your stomach & fluids will keep you going but if you get worse then a doctor may be needed

Edited by seajae