Woman Mauled To Death By Five Of Her Own Rottweiler Dogs

sriracha john

Maybe bitten by the "common breeds" but certainly not killed or mauled! There was a case of a 5 y.o HongKong girl who was attacked and killed on New Years Day by a PitBull owned by her uncle in the family's garden.Very sad story.To own a dangerous dog breed one must understand the breed and train it, definitely not own it just because it is a status symbol.Dangerous breeds are just that.DANGEROUS.It's their nature.Best suited as guard /police/ dogs.Just as you wouldn't have a poodle as a race dog or a Shitzu chasing sheep one shouldn't have a dangerous dog around families or the eldely.

Big dogs need plenty of space and excercise too and most people who keep big dogs in small spaces are really asking for trouble and it really is not fair on the poor dog.

Poor lady anyway.

Indeed, the operative word here is "mauled", not "bitten". Those little yappy dogs are forever biting and nipping... but about the worse thing they can conger up is too pee on your leg, which is worse then their bites. You're not likely to lose a hand or a limb or your life from them.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe bitten by the "common breeds" but certainly not killed or mauled! There was a case of a 5 y.o HongKong girl who was attacked and killed on New Years Day by a PitBull owned by her uncle in the family's garden.

Are you sure HK? The case I know about - 5yr old, uncle's pitbull, New Years Day was in Merseyside, UK. If the same one, it later transpired that the uncle was a drug dealer & the police found 15,000 GBP and hard drugs in the house, when they were called to the attack. Nice person to leave your kid with, huh? A dangerous dog which he'd had an official warning for & drugs, makes you wonder about the whole family, doesn't it?

On topic, I'm very sad for the ladies tragic demise, but all these knee-jerk reactions? Puh-lease! Pitbulls & Rottweilers are not similar. Yes, Rotties are a large breed, but treated & trained properly are gentle & loyal dogs. I agree it's very possible that she didn't have the requisite control over them & very possibly had too many for her to handle. In my experience, most dog problems are caused by humans. As stated before, you need to be the pack leader, and too many people get dogs they can't control. That does not, however mean the dogs are bad, just that they aren't being controlled.

And as for dogs like pitbulls that are bred for aggression & fighting - who breeds them? Humans. Who trains them to fight? Humans. Who gets their bloodlust up by doing things like throwing weak, defenceless strays to them when they're starving? Humans. I'm so sick of hearing all these "devil dog" comments, when a lot of the time the fault lies with humans, not the dogs

That is exactly how I feel, although I have a poodle and golden. I don't think anyone has ever been torn apart by a pack of wild golden retrievers, but you do hear of it from time to time as it relates to Pit Bulls and Rottweillers. If it happens and it is you, it only happens once.

If you had read up on the subject you would know that far more people get bitten by 'common breeds' then 'dangerous dogs'. So No, you won't hear it happend all the time with one breed and not another...unless you just don't want to listen.

OK TAWP, since you are so well read on the subject, tell me when you last read that someone was killed by wild, vicious packs of golden retrievers and poodles?

It's typical actions by the Thai police, arrest the Burmese maids. I know we homo sapiens are capable of some pretty horrific acts but surely PC Plodprasop should have had an inkling that, due to the horrific injuries, this wasn't the work of humans.

Then they have the bluddy cheek, after the pathologist pointed out the true cause of death, that they suddenly become dog psychologists and surmise that one dog attacked and the others followed.

If you had read up on the subject you would know that far more people get bitten by 'common breeds' then 'dangerous dogs'. So No, you won't hear it happend all the time with one breed and not another...unless you just don't want to listen.

OK TAWP, since you are so well read on the subject, tell me when you last read that someone was killed by wild, vicious packs of golden retrievers and poodles?

First of all, as you can clearly read in my post above, I refered to bitings, not fatal bitings. This is for several reasons:

- There are very few fatal bitings per year. A very bad statistics-base.

- The statistics regarding fatal bitings doesn't easily cover the _reason_ the the attacks. More often then not abuse or direct commands are behind the attacks - apart from countries where dogs are running loose that is.

- A few breeds are over-represented in the un-registrated category and owned gy non-responsible owners, usually due to them having them as live weapons and/or fight-dogs in tournaments. As such any statistics regarding fatal bitings won't indicate dangerous breeds more so then dangerous owners.

It's kinda like arguing if smaller guns are safer then large caliber ones...when we know large caliber is prefered by men, that is over-represented in crime-statistics using handguns...but they both very much hurt.

Since you refuse to google:

Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998, Jeffrey J. Sacks, MD, MPH; Leslie Sinclair, DVM; Julie Gilchrist, MD; Gail C. Golab, PhD, DVM; Randall Lockwood, PhD. JAVMA, Vol 217, No. 6, September 15, 2000.

Notice that the large breeds (but by all regarded as very nice dogs) Saint Bernard and Great Dane has several fatal bitings. Or even Retriever-type, Cocker Spaniel and Collie. :o

Rotweilers and Pitbulls can be very dangerous dogs.

You can trawl through the press clippings from Timbuktu to Darwin; Penzance to Hickville USA, and if you hit the correct search buttons, you will find enough stories of rots and pits killing and maiming human beings to fill up a very large book.

Sure, if they are professionally trained and looked after properly, the danger is minimal - but it is always there. Even the best trained of these breed have been known to attack and kill babies and young children when left alone with them, or someething unnerves them.

I have met an extraordinary number of people in Pattaya recently who have bought darling looking, cuddly rotweiller puppies. I wouldn't say these people are stupid, but the words 'ignorance' and 'irresponsible', spring easily to mind.

Why buy a Rotweiller, when there are so many gentle loving breeds of dogs of all sizes with no history of attacking human beings.? :o

It beats the he.ll out of me. :D

dogs are carnivores and pack animals.

dogs have teeth.

dogs ALL have the potential to attack and bite.

goldens, poodles, boxers, rotties, greyhounds, mixed mutts.

it is the responsibitity of the human owners to identify and deal with problems behaviors etc.

the dog just acts like a dog.

the dog is not responsile for acting like a dog.

rotties are great dogs but like a large powerful car, it may not be good to give to a teenager who doesnt know who to deal with it.

same here. people with large dogs ahve to learn how to deal with them.

small dogs seem to be allowed to get away with bad behavior like biting more because they do less damage.

in my house, no dog bites. no cat scratches. none of our donkeys bite or kick. it doesnt matter how cute he/she is as a pup, foal or whatever. no biting, no kicking, no riding on us (a male donkey behavior) . and nothing is 100%.

too bad people dont learn. its like with guns and cars.

but they all have the potential for it. a large animal is a large animal.

too bad people dont learn. its like with guns and cars.

but they all have the potential for it. a large animal is a large animal.

Ever the optimist, eh bina? I have always been of the opinion that dogs learn good behavior better and faster than people :o

First of all, as you can clearly read in my post above, I refered to bitings, not fatal bitings. This is for several reasons:

- There are very few fatal bitings per year. A very bad statistics-base.

- The statistics regarding fatal bitings doesn't easily cover the _reason_ the the attacks. More often then not abuse or direct commands are behind the attacks - apart from countries where dogs are running loose that is.

- A few breeds are over-represented in the un-registrated category and owned gy non-responsible owners, usually due to them having them as live weapons and/or fight-dogs in tournaments. As such any statistics regarding fatal bitings won't indicate dangerous breeds more so then dangerous owners.

It's kinda like arguing if smaller guns are safer then large caliber ones...when we know large caliber is prefered by men, that is over-represented in crime-statistics using handguns...but they both very much hurt.

Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998, Jeffrey J. Sacks, MD, MPH; Leslie Sinclair, DVM; Julie Gilchrist, MD; Gail C. Golab, PhD, DVM; Randall Lockwood, PhD. JAVMA, Vol 217, No. 6, September 15, 2000.

Notice that the large breeds (but by all regarded as very nice dogs) Saint Bernard and Great Dane has several fatal bitings. Or even Retriever-type, Cocker Spaniel and Collie. :o

While all animals will bite if provoked, the thread is about a women who was mauled to death by a group of Rottweillers. While it may have happened, I have never heard of anyone being mauled to death by a group of retrievers or poodles. Unless you are trained on how to handle pit bulls and rotti's, I think it best to stick with retrievers and poodles (as I have done in my house).

TAWP, I did just look at your attachment and see where over the 1979-1998 period, pit bulls and rotweillers have killed more than any other breed. Someone did die from a pure blood Lab retriever (they must have tripped over it in the dark), but none from pedigreed golden retrievers and poodles.

Simply put, some breeds are safer than others, and pit bulls and rotweillers are the least safe.

While it is somewhat sad she was killed by her own dogs; it is sadder still is the fate of the dogs now that they are marked 'killers'.

Having worked in the Pet & Vet industry for over 15 years I can tell you with certainty; any breed of dog IF properly trained is no threat to anyone. Conversely; a poorly trained or un-trained dog what ever its size is an accident waiting to happen and the accident WILL happen eventually.

As has been stated in this post; dogs are pack animals, they will happily and willingly submit to the "leader of the pack". That leader HAS to be the owner. Having owned more than 10 Great Danes over 20 odd years, many adopted from pounds; I can say once they were properly trained I had no qualms or problems letting my young nieces & nephews play with and around them.

The link to the statistics, while interesting are more than somewhat skewed. Far, far more large breeds carrying the label of 'attack' type dogs are kept by people in the US over the large hunting, herding, or sporting breeds.

I have seen Rotti's, Shepherd’s, St Bernard’s, Bulldogs, Mastiffs, and other large breeds offered for sale every weekend at Chatujak market.

It is a 'face' or status symbol to the munchkins in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" much like the Lexus' & BMW's parked in the driveways of their owners thai shacks.

The key for any dog, is training, it cannot be emphasized too much or done too little. A well trained dog is a loyal life companion, no matter the breed. The paranoia about this breed or that breed, the large mouth, the "locking jaws" becomes irrelevant IF the dog is properly trained. That is a fact which cannot be argued. As was stated; you can't fault a dog for acting like a dog. You CAN and should fault the owner for not training the dog properly.

I believe the true tragedy is not the owner's demise, nor the ultimate outcome of the now 'killer dogs' fate. The true tragedy is the fate of the undocumented, illegal Burmese laborers which the women employed.

My girlfriend had a Rotweiler and he bit someone, we took him to a forest and i took great pleasure in shooting it in the back of the head with her fathers shotgun.

I once saw a Farang-Thai couple on the beach in Phuket with one and the thing was not even on a leash, i wish we had the gun with us that time as some kids were terrified to go near the water because of it.

I find rather amazing the logic put forth by the "Pro" rottweiler/pit-bull camp. You seem to be saying all dogs are equal, they just need to be raised correctly. It's like saying all cars are equal, the best driver in no matter what car will win the race. I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is. Two rooms, equal size, one with 3 pit bulls, one with 3 Very large St. Bernards. And you have to put YOUR kids in one of them. Which one will you choose?

And the only google article one of the Pro rottweiler pit bull camp comes up with says in the first sentence 1/3 of all deaths by biting were by pitbulls. Does that tell you nothing??

My girlfriend had a Rotweiler and he bit someone, we took him to a forest and i took great pleasure in shooting it in the back of the head with her fathers shotgun.

I did the same once with a pitbull , I used a 30-30 Lever Action.

Why do pitbulls keep being brought into it? :o It was rotties! Pitbulls are on the dangerous dog lists of many countries, meaning there are many restrictions on their ownership in these countries. This is because,through the breeds' history they were bred for fighting, firstly other animals & now their own species and even today, some pitbulls are trained by some disgusting lowlife members of society to be aggressive fighters. The same is NOT true of rottweilers.

I wouldn't put my child in either of those rooms if I didn't know the dogs very well & their owners well & trust both.

I have over 30 dogs in my house & garden & there is one that I don't let anybody touch or go near, because he bites & is unpredictable. And what fearsome beast is he? A cocker spaniel, who was the unfortunate victim of a very erratic owner before, and even now still shows some behavioral problems because of that. The 3 big (over 30kg) dogs are absolutely fine, with people & other dogs. It's not size, it's not the breed (although there is of course a greater risk with dogs bred to fight), it's the owners, I'm afraid.

I once saw a Farang-Thai couple on the beach in Phuket with one and the thing was not even on a leash, i wish we had the gun with us that time as some kids were terrified to go near the water because of it.

Your spelling says it all..............

I find rather amazing the logic put forth by the "Pro" rottweiler/pit-bull camp. You seem to be saying all dogs are equal, they just need to be raised correctly. It's like saying all cars are equal, the best driver in no matter what car will win the race. I'd like to see you put your money where your mouth is. Two rooms, equal size, one with 3 pit bulls, one with 3 Very large St. Bernards. And you have to put YOUR kids in one of them. Which one will you choose?

And the only google article one of the Pro rottweiler pit bull camp comes up with says in the first sentence 1/3 of all deaths by biting were by pitbulls. Does that tell you nothing??

So by dispelling lies and misconcepton one has to be pro-something? Bush, is that you?

Everything isn't black and white.

And FYI: I would NEVER put my son in ANY room where a dog where that I didn't fully trust.

And as an exercise for your next post, please find where I have written that all pitbulls are safe. Or that any breed is safe. I think you read what you want to read, as usual here on this board.

*two fingers in ears* LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

Edited by TAWP

rule 1: never leave a child under age seven (+-) alone with a large dog.

period. nero was always crated when young kids came over to visit my daughter and i wasnt at home to supervise.

all my kids were taught dos and donts of dogs : my dogs were taught to accept rough play, or at the most, get up and move away if feeling bothered.

age, reactions and size do matter.

most of the maulings in israel by rotties/pitbulls etc were :

1. dogs not properly identified as really being rotties/pitbullsand therefore reported as pitbull/rotties. example: my lovable finnish male boxer was oftened called a bulldog or a rottweiler by ignorant folk.

2. the kids that got mauled were usually playing on the floor, or moving in some way in the general area of the dog. (not that that is ok, but it usually means that the kid was acting like something huntable (squeaking high pitched noises, thrashing around movement, etc.) or a person approaching in a strange manner not identified by the dog as 'appropriate people behavior'.

3. most of the attacks were dogs that belonged to people who had no clue as to dog behavior, do's dont's etc. ; i.e. dogs in pack situation, dog being handled by someone not usually handling the dog (friend, relative, employee)

4. dog attacking other dog and owner getting involved.

5. dog with bad traits to begin with so shouldnt be with families (over bred rotties with bad tempers due to unscrupulous breeders thinking only of money and not personality), and people who dont care what/where/from whom they buy the dog.

6. dog not matching use of dog: i.e. dog with high level working drive (macb u know what i mean) does not always match family level action.

7. dogs that have been bred for the fighting drive do not neccessarily belong to a laid back family that doesnt stick to consistent rules in relation to the dog.

8. dogs bought for looks/status only and therefore not trained/taken care of appropriately.

this can happen in any country, anywhere anytime.

should i go on????

bina

israel

Its best just to keep your distance from these top two maiming dogs and realize what they are very capable of.

Ever see those videos of Rots/Pits going after one specific person (usually a kid)? Its frightening to see. They are relentless even if you whack them with something. Once they get the smell of blood or whatever it is they proceed to attack much like a pack of Hyaenas or Lions. Unfortunately people like to acquire these things much like a statused car or a Louis Vuitton bag, etc.

I wanted to quote, but it's too much bs to mention.

I have been a dog breeder for over 30 years, not dangerous dogs, but I know about dog's behaviour. I have read very true posts like from Bina and November rain, they said how it is.

I read very stupid posts like owning a Rottweiler is stupid, very low IQ post.

I even read a guy enjoying shooting his gf dog: you're sick mate, go to a psychiatrist! And take Vespa with you, he is sick too.

Question about in what room you put your kids with dogs: are you crazy? NO child should be alone with a dog! As adults have more power over dogs as they are bigger, children are because of being smaller near the point where a dog wants to challenge who is stronger. That is danger!

The biting dogs. In my "civilised" country Holland the most bite incidents are caused by Golden and Labrador retrievers! Meaning hospitalised victims. Not because the dogs are vicious but because they are overbred and behave abnormally! As a retriever is not so strong people won't die, if a Rottweiler bites you have less change, true.

Rottweilers, I mean the dogs that are bred by knowledgeable breeders, is a very reliable dog and will defend your kids to any danger. He will never attack his owner and is an example of how big dogs can behave.

I don't talk pitbulls (american mob breed) as they are bred and trained to kill, Rottweilers are not. Pitbull is not even a breed and forbidden in a lot of countries.

The woman in question, I feel very sorry for her, but it takes a strong hand to control 5 Rottweilers and maybe she had not the skill to be the leader of the pack.

In all the years with dogs I have been bitten only once, by a Golden retriever (being a guest in my kennels), I don't mind.

I wish people would be more aware that incidents happen because of a certain situation, a dog reacts like a dog, human beings do not always act the same, giving dogs the problem of finding out why it is different today.

Dogs are a blessing for society, turn the word dog around and you know why...

Joe

According to the Thai news on television:

The woman was "probably" killed by the Burmese servants who ran away and are still being sought after.

The dogs attacked the woman after smelling/tasting the blood.

Edited by JRinger