Woman Mauled To Death By Five Of Her Own Rottweiler Dogs

sriracha john

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My girlfriend had a Rotweiler and he bit someone, we took him to a forest and i took great pleasure in shooting it in the back of the head with her fathers shotgun.

So you took great pleasure in taking a life................................you must be a septic then. :o

No, I'm very much English old bean.

The biting dogs. In my "civilised" country Holland the most bite incidents are caused by Golden and Labrador retrievers! Meaning hospitalised victims. Not because the dogs are vicious but because they are overbred and behave abnormally! As a retriever is not so strong people won't die, if a Rottweiler bites you have less change, true.

Joe, the thread is about a women mauled to death by her own Rottweilers. All dogs can bite, regardless of breed, but the thread is about dogs that kill.

There must be some reason, based on the link provided by TAWP, why the US's statistics for fatal human attacks by dogs for the 1979-1998 period show that 22% of all reported fatal attacks were by Rottweilers (and another 37% by pit bulls), while 0% were by golden retrievers and 0% by poodles. These statistics net out police dogs at work. Perhaps the Rottweilers were not handled correctly, I don't know, but if this is the case doesn't that say that it would be advisable for only people that know how to handle this breed handle them?

Please note, I never said that anyone owning a Rottweiller was stupid and I would never hurt an animal unless it was physically threatening me or my family. I love dogs, but my responses have been about dogs that kill, not dogs that bite.

My girlfriend had a Rotweiler and he bit someone, we took him to a forest and i took great pleasure in shooting it in the back of the head with her fathers shotgun.

I once saw a Farang-Thai couple on the beach in Phuket with one and the thing was not even on a leash, i wish we had the gun with us that time as some kids were terrified to go near the water because of it.

Your spelling says it all..............

What does it say? :o

QUOTE(thaigerd @ 2007-01-25 22:44:01)

QUOTE(Acquiesce @ 2007-01-25 11:40:08)

I once saw a Farang-Thai couple on the beach in Phuket with one and the thing was not even on a leash, i wish we had the gun with us that time as some kids were terrified to go near the water because of it.

Your spelling says it all..............

What does it say?

I was wondering the same.

If you have a Rott. keep it in your own garden/house. Taking it outside and off a leash is very selfish.

The biting dogs. In my "civilised" country Holland the most bite incidents are caused by Golden and Labrador retrievers! Meaning hospitalised victims. Not because the dogs are vicious but because they are overbred and behave abnormally! As a retriever is not so strong people won't die, if a Rottweiler bites you have less change, true.

Joe, the thread is about a women mauled to death by her own Rottweilers. All dogs can bite, regardless of breed, but the thread is about dogs that kill.

There must be some reason, based on the link provided by TAWP, why the US's statistics for fatal human attacks by dogs for the 1979-1998 period show that 22% of all reported fatal attacks were by Rottweilers (and another 37% by pit bulls), while 0% were by golden retrievers and 0% by poodles. These statistics net out police dogs at work. Perhaps the Rottweilers were not handled correctly, I don't know, but if this is the case doesn't that say that it would be advisable for only people that know how to handle this breed handle them?

Please note, I never said that anyone owning a Rottweiller was stupid and I would never hurt an animal unless it was physically threatening me or my family. I love dogs, but my responses have been about dogs that kill, not dogs that bite.

It didn't say 0% by retrievers, that is an incorrect statement.

But nonwithstanding, here is a couple of crucial things regarding dogs:

- Not everyone is suited to have dogs.

- Every dog-breed has specific needs.

- If you abuse, mistreat or are unable to handle your dog there can be conseqvenses.

Sometimes those might only be hurting the dog (overweight, hip and knee-problems with golden retrievers) or sometimes it might be others that get hurt, man or animal.

Pleae also note that now the police think the burmese killed the woman and the dog only bit her post mortem - which would render part of this thread void.

Rottweilers kill Thai owner

Bangkok - Five pet Rottweilers mauled to death their owner, a 53-year-old Thai woman in Lamphun province, media reports said on Thursday.

Police on Tuesday found Nannapas Surinsombat dead in her house in Lamphun, 530 kilometres north of Bangkok, with her ears torn off and her scalp badly mauled.

Three Burmese workers, employed by Nannapas, were initially held by police as possible murder suspects but an autopsy concluded the woman had died from dog bites.

Police Major Karn Deemongkol speculated that Nannapas may have been attacked by one of her pet Rottweilers and the smell of blood sent the others into a killing frenzy.

Raising foreign canine breeds has become popular in Thailand among the well-to-do.

= DPA

There must be some reason, based on the link provided by TAWP, why the US's statistics for fatal human attacks by dogs for the 1979-1998 period show that 22% of all reported fatal attacks were by Rottweilers (and another 37% by pit bulls), while 0% were by golden retrievers and 0% by poodles.

It didn't say 0% by retrievers, that is an incorrect statement.

My comment was correct in that Table 1 specifically reflects that 21.7% of the total fatalities over the 1979-1998 period was from pure blooded Rottweilers, while 0% was from pure blooded Golden Retrievers. There was one fatality by a retriever type, which may or may not have been a golden as it wasn't specified. Saying it was a golden, that would still mean that 37% of all fatalities came from pit bulls, 21.7% from Rottweilers, and 0.6% from golden retrievers.

Maybe the difference in fatalities is that there are more people that don't know how to handle Rottweilers than know how to handle Goldens or maybe Rottweilers are just more difficult to handle.

TAWP, I fully agree with your other comments. I just happen to be one of the people that believe that Rottweilers are more difficult to handle than golden retrievers.

Sems to me that most of the posts that defend the ownership of Rotweillers are professional people who are involved with dealing with dogs in their daily lives.

Fair enough, and I wouldn't dream of arguing with the experts that a rotweiller, properly trained and controlled is no greater danger than a golden.

But life isn't quite like this, is it? The average Joe - family - whatever - who buys or acquires a dog as a pet is not an expert, and few train their dogs properly. Maybe they should do, but the fact remains that they just don't.

This is the case in western countriues, and the risk of being the butt of flames, I submit that it is even the more the case in Thailand, where it is common knowledege that many dogs are ill treated by Thais and farangs alike.

One of my neighbours, an Englishman, once suggested that I take my then Golden puppy with him to have a swim in the Lake with his grossly overweight Rotweiller. I should have known better, because whenever I went to his house, he always had the rot tied up on a chain.

Well of course we all know what happened - the rot went for my golden and clamped his jaws into the poor mite. The owner beat his dog so badly I ended up feeling sorry for the dog.

The average well meaning dog owner will not have the patience, knowledge or desire to properly train their dog, and will be content to get him/her to understand a few simple commands like 'Sit', 'come'. 'stay' and the like. If you have a non agressive breed that has not been ill bred, this will serve you well, and your dog is unlikely to be a danger to others. If you have a rot, a pit, or other aggressive breeds, and you fail to train them thoroughly, you may have a potential killer in your back yard.

It's all very well the professionals preaching about the proper training of dogs, but in the real world that just doesn't happen.

As I said before - I can't see why people would want to keep these breeds as pets when there are so many safer, non-aggressive available. Obviously something to do with machismo - which is the wrong reason for wanting a dog, and is probably asking for trouble.

After a lot of negative comments here about Rottweilers and their owners I am a bit scared to say:"'Yes, I own a Rottweiler!"

The one I own is an imported one, we have imported his pregnant mother from Europe. He is 100% pure breed from a very controlled blood line there.

Many(most) of the Rottweilers here in Thailand are just "produced" for profit and as a showcase for their owners. Nobody realy checks history/pedigree before starting to breed. Result: Dangerous dogs which are difficult to handle.

My wife takes care all day long for our dogs(another female Boxer).

I am the leader of the rack!!!

We have a number 1 rule: Our dogs are allways on the leash outside from our house!!!

Even when we have a walk on the beach here and our Rott gets attacked from many stray dogs I've trained him to be calm.

This kind of breed is very protective and I know that I cannot expect that all people and children know how to behave. It is a big responsibility to own and train such kind of dog.

I wish some of our dog trainers/experts here in the forum write something about this topic.

Gerd

After a lot of negative comments here about Rottweilers and their owners I am a bit scared to say:"'Yes, I own a Rottweiler!"

The one I own is an imported one, we have imported his pregnant mother from Europe. He is 100% pure breed from a very controlled blood line there.

Many(most) of the Rottweilers here in Thailand are just "produced" for profit and as a showcase for their owners. Nobody realy checks history/pedigree before starting to breed. Result: Dangerous dogs which are difficult to handle.

We have a number 1 rule: Our dogs are allways on the leash outside from our house!!!

Even when we have a walk on the beach here and our Rott gets attacked from many stray dogs I've trained him to be calm.

This kind of breed is very protective and I know that I cannot expect that all people and children know how to behave. It is a big responsibility to own and train such kind of dog.

I wish some of our dog trainers/experts here in the forum write something about this topic.

Gerd

It sounds like you are a responsible dog owner.

If all were like you, there would be no problems and no need for this thread.

Have a good life with your dogs. :o

Gerd

It sounds like you are a responsible dog owner.

If all were like you, there would be no problems and no need for this thread.

Have a good life with your dogs. :o

Agreed.

Gerd

Gerd, you have hit it on the head. It is a big responsibility to own and train such kind of dog. When you see the statistics out of the US for a 20 year period, you know that so many people don't know how to handle this kind of dog. That doesn't mean that all people should not have Rottweilers, but it does mean that the average person (like me) should not have a Rottweiler (which is why I have the golden retriever). The problem I have is not knowing if the person who owns the Rottweilers are people like Mobi encountered, or someone like you who does know these dogs. Hence, I prefer to give them a wide berth when I see one.

If you have a rot, a pit, or other aggressive breeds, and you fail to train them thoroughly, you may have a potential killer in your back yard.

Good post, but the section quoted above is incorrect.

A rottweiler isn't considered an agressive dog.

While the pitbull has been breed for fighting other dogs, the bulldog for fighting bulls and the akita ino to fight other dogs, the rottweiler is breed for guardduty and as police dogs - it is considered a working dog in its classification.

Don't mix into the fact that it's big or got a big mouth...

Gerd

Well said!

As someone who had the great privilege of living with a rotti for 11 years unfortunately I am not surprised by the comments made to date.

One point - rottweilers are classed as a working breed - originally for herding cattle.

We had 2 dogs, the rotti and a labrador. We were vetted by the rotti breeder before being allowed to purchase he was took to training classes as a puppy and breeder kept in contact to see how he was doing.

The only thing I would say is that the labrador was a dog, the rottweiler was far more.

He is sorely missed.

thank god some voices of reason.

now down to one boxer, of israel army stock. next dog i get will be small, manageable. people here just cant deal with large dogs. they approach her with stick in hand, or handbag held up to defend themselves os that she is already on defensive when approached ; she is a super house dog, a good guard dog (we are haveing waves of break ins here recently, ) sweet and playful as any boxer should be. she has a steady personality as the army requires level headed dogs, not crazies that cant be worked with.

the kibbutz once approaced me to get third party insurance!!! to protect me in case she bit someone.!! they thought she was an amstaff!!! meanwhile, the dog bites here on the kibbutz were all golden retriever type rescues ( popular breed among israelis) from the local SPCA and they had behavior problems that were improperly dealt with.

pity.

have always liked rotties and boxers; any large working dog actually.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread. I came across it when I was searching for something else. I just really want to add something, of which I think is important.

After reading the OP my first thought was when (what time) and how did the incident happen? Is it possible that the woman came home and the dogs did not recognize her? Did she come home in a different way than she used to do, such as on foot in stead of by car? Did she come home at night?

Most people think their dog/s will always recognize them immediately. THIS IS A MISCONCEPTION!

I remember an old Thai woman coming home after dark. Around the house was huge wall and the gate was made of thick teak wood. As it was her own home she just stepped through the little door in that huge teak gate, assuming her dogs would recognize her straight away. One of the dogs had heard someone was at the other side of the gate but could not see or smell her and did not know it was her, but thought it was a stranger entering his territory. He bit her. Immediately when he noticed it was her, he showed submission. Thank goodness, this lady understood why the dog bit her, and did not blame him.

Years ago after a two months trip to my home country, I came home on foot, and not as usual on the bike or by car. This was unusual for my dogs, and they did not recognize my footsteps. Hearing someone approaching my dogs became alerted, especially my boxer. Even when she saw me coming she still did not recognize it was me. I thought it was cute (somehow) and started walking strangely, a bit sneaky. She became full aroused, bringing all my other dogs in full alert (GSD's, Afghans and Rottweiler). This was during daytime. If I would have come home at night and just stepped through the gate, big chance my dogs would have attacked.

Once one dog of a pack attacks, there's a big chance the others join in. When the victims starts screaming and struggling to get loose (normal human reaction), predatory aggression can be very easily triggered. And this is the most dangerous aggression in dogs.

It is of uttermost importance that you make yourself known to your dog/s BEFORE you step in your and their territory. Dogs are dogs and will react as dogs. They do NOT always know it's their pack member and/or leader who is coming in.

Especially at night, when dogs are more alert. Just look at all the soidogs, who are so laid back during the day and fierce during the night.

Therefore, it's a smart thing to ALWAYS call your dog's name before home-coming and make sure they recognize you!

My two cents to this (old) thread.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

All dogs need exercise. Big dogs need a lot of exercise.

They are pack animals, and the owner has to be the leader. When you walk a dog, ensure that it sees you as the leader. Do not let it walk in front, do not let it go through a door before you. Make sure that it is calm before setting off.

When the dog has had enough exercise, it is more amenable to being trained and disciplined. Never, ever, let the dog eat before you eat. Make it wait.

Never give affection until the dog is calm and submissive.

Exercise first, discipline second, affection third. Remember, giving affection to dogs is mostly for your benefit. Dogs are okay as long as they know their place, roles and boundaries, get enough exercise, and are properly disciplined in a consistent way.

<br /> All dogs need exercise. Big dogs need a lot of exercise.<br /><br /> They are pack animals, and the owner has to be the leader. When you walk a dog, ensure that it sees you as the leader. Do not let it walk in front, do not let it go through a door before you. Make sure that it is calm before setting off.<br /><br /> When the dog has had enough exercise, it is more amenable to being trained and disciplined. Never, ever, let the dog eat before you eat. Make it wait.<br /><br /> Never give affection until the dog is calm and submissive. <br /><br /> Exercise first, discipline second, affection third. Remember, giving affection to dogs is mostly for your benefit. Dogs are okay as long as they know their place, roles and boundaries, get enough exercise, and are properly disciplined in a consistent way.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Sounds like a good rule for wives :o

All dogs need exercise. Big dogs need a lot of exercise. Completely agree

They are pack animals, and the owner has to be the leader. When you walk a dog, ensure that it sees you as the leader. Do not let it walk in front, do not let it go through a door before you. Make sure that it is calm before setting off.The dog need to view the owner/care taker as leader based on mutual respect and trust, which one establishes through psychological manipulation rather than by forcing it into submission and punishment.

When the dog has had enough exercise, it is more amenable to being trained and disciplined. Absolutely. When exercising, though, certain 'rules' has to be followed by both dog and owner/care taker.Never, ever, let the dog eat before you eat. Make it wait. This depends. If one has a dog that views itself higher in rank you can apply this rule, otherwise one doesn't need to be that strict. My dogs respect me as the one in charge, with the responsibility that I need to protect MY pack, and most of the time they eat before me or with me. If I eat, for sure, they are close by and beg for some delicious treat. I don't mind that, others do and will NEVER give something to their dog when they eat. That's a personal choice one makes.

Never give affection until the dog is calm and submissive. Any attention, not only affection

Exercise first, discipline second, affection third. I don't want to put it in a strict order. It all goes together. If one exercises the dog, discipline and affection and attention come at the same time. Remember, giving affection to dogs is mostly for your benefit. Dogs are okay as long as they know their place, roles and boundaries, get enough exercise, and are properly disciplined in a consistent way. Dogs are social animals and attention is a basic need

No matter, how much exercise and proper discipline and training a dog has received and views you as leader-of-his/her-pack, if it does not recognize you when entering its territory, IT CAN ATTACK AND BITE!!!

So, I repeat, say something to your dog before your enter your and his/her properrty, especially after dark, and make sure the dog knows its you.

Edited by Nienke

My family has owned both breeds in question. My Ex-wife showed dogs, primarily Rottweilers and American Staffordshire Terriers (AKC registered breed, same as Pit Bull) throught he years we had many dogs of both breeds...we never had a dog bite. The only time I was bitten by a dog, was someones loose black Lab while I was out for a jog.

I have been following this thread and can't believe some of the crap that has been written. All dogs are prone to bite when put in certain situations, A Rotties bite is of course more severe than a poodles. Pitbulls were bred for bullbaiting and then dog fighting, they have powerful jaws (no such thing as a LOCKING Jaw) and a high tolerance for pain and many were bred to be aggresive. Rottweilers are large dogs breed as cattle drovers and guard dogs.

I have had both breeds as house pets, they were wonderful companions. There is a responsibility in owning a large dog breed... they should always be on lead when outside and socialized at an early age. My experience is that whenever there is a dog attack; the owner generally bears responsibility.

I wanted to quote, but it's too much bs to mention.

I have been a dog breeder for over 30 years, not dangerous dogs, but I know about dog's behaviour. I have read very true posts like from Bina and November rain, they said how it is.

I read very stupid posts like owning a Rottweiler is stupid, very low IQ post.

I even read a guy enjoying shooting his gf dog: you're sick mate, go to a psychiatrist! And take Vespa with you, he is sick too.

Question about in what room you put your kids with dogs: are you crazy? NO child should be alone with a dog! As adults have more power over dogs as they are bigger, children are because of being smaller near the point where a dog wants to challenge who is stronger. That is danger!

Rottweilers, I mean the dogs that are bred by knowledgeable breeders, is a very reliable dog and will defend your kids to any danger. He will never attack his owner and is an example of how big dogs can behave.

I don't talk pitbulls (american mob breed) as they are bred and trained to kill, Rottweilers are not. Pitbull is not even a breed and forbidden in a lot of countries.

The woman in question, I feel very sorry for her, but it takes a strong hand to control 5 Rottweilers and maybe she had not the skill to be the leader of the pack.

In all the years with dogs I have been bitten only once, by a Golden retriever (being a guest in my kennels), I don't mind.

I wish people would be more aware that incidents happen because of a certain situation, a dog reacts like a dog, human beings do not always act the same, giving dogs the problem of finding out why it is different today.

Dogs are a blessing for society, turn the word dog around and you know why...

Joe

I agree with most of your post, but the overrepresentation in biting stats. by Goldens and Labs, is not so much over breeding as it is their great numbers, they are by far the most popular and therefor most numerus, if you break the stats. down to how many incedents pr. dog, those two breeds really dont bite very often, a lot of smaller breeds bite more often when looking at number of incidents according to number of dogs in total (Pudels, Peginnese).

Further more i do not agree when you say Rottweilers are not breed to bite, this breed have for more than 40 years been breed in Europe selectivly to be (proffesionel) guarddogs, and police dogs (most policeforces have stopped using them years ago), breeders have handpicked the the least frightend and most agressive puppies to train and eventually to breed on, the dogs was always ment to be handeld by proffesionals, in the special case of the Rottweiler some of a dogs natural warning signals have been breed out off the race, to the extend that they more often (not always) than normal family dogs, will attack with very little or no warning making it more difficult for, (unskilled) owners, and especially others to realise that they are engaged in an activity that are provoking the dog, that is why I whole heartedly agree, that only people who know how to handle large dogs should consider owning a Rottweiler, and then you should still take special precautions, like not leaving it alone with children aso. ( to be fair, the responsible breeders have started going the other way looking for family dog qualities since some years back, but 40 years of breeding is not undone quickly.)

A very sad example, a family with a large ground round their big house, have two very well trained Rottweilers, their 10 year daugther have a friend home to stay for the weekend, the two girls play on the grounds and the two dogs are out to, there has never been one as much as little incedent with the dogs before and they are both more than 5 years old, the little guest needs a pe pe, beeing far from the house near the lake on the grounds she decides to just squat and do the thing near some bushes, the instant she starts she is without warning attacked and killed by the two dogs, now those who knows about dogs, knows why they did that, but the thing is they dident growl or bark to show they where displeased with her action, so she would have been scared and stopped and run away, or gave the daughter who knew the dogs a chance to reprimand them, they just attacked without any normal dog warning signals. This is unfortunately just one of many true cases of Rottweilers attacking.

Dont get me wrong here, I think they are wonderfull dogs, if owned by the right responsible people, and for the right purpose, a working dog. But I would not have one as a family pet/guard dog, there are plenty less dangerous dog breeds that will do the job just aswell.

And Rottweilers are on the dangerous dog list in most European countrys.

RIP. I feel very sorry for the Lady loosing her life.

Kind regards. :o

Edited by larvidchr

My brother rescued a female rottie years ago, she turned out into the softest puppy one could ever wish for. Thing that makes me laugh is this was when i started dating my ex - "Hi bro, this is xxxxxx - what's the dogs name" - <cue look of mild amusement> "xxxxxx"....THAT went down well...

As regards to the OT - a dog is as dangerous or as docile as the enviroment it's kept in, no matter what breed. Those jack russells can be nippy little twunts!

If you had read up on the subject you would know that far more people get bitten by 'common breeds' then 'dangerous dogs'. So No, you won't hear it happend all the time with one breed and not another...unless you just don't want to listen.

All dogs can bite when afraid, provoked or their master is attacked. The owner has responsibility over the dog, not the other way around.

Since there are many more 'common breeds' than 'dangerous dogs' [presume you mean 'dangerous breeds'?] it would not be surprising that far more people are bitten by common breeds. That doesn't necessarily mean that common breeds are more dangerous.

It is silly to think that dogs that have been bred for their aggressive tendencies and physical strength are not going to be more dangerous than other dogs. A toy poodle or cocker can bite you, sure, but it is unlikely to be able to rip you to shreds like a Pit Bull or Rottweiler.

If you had read up on the subject you would know that far more people get bitten by 'common breeds' then 'dangerous dogs'. So No, you won't hear it happend all the time with one breed and not another...unless you just don't want to listen.

All dogs can bite when afraid, provoked or their master is attacked. The owner has responsibility over the dog, not the other way around.

Since there are many more 'common breeds' than 'dangerous dogs' [presume you mean 'dangerous breeds'?] it would not be surprising that far more people are bitten by common breeds. That doesn't necessarily mean that common breeds are more dangerous.

It is silly to think that dogs that have been bred for their aggressive tendencies and physical strength are not going to be more dangerous than other dogs. A toy poodle or cocker can bite you, sure, but it is unlikely to be able to rip you to shreds like a Pit Bull or Rottweiler.

TAWP had done some research on this in an earlier thread providing this link: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf. It covers 20+ years of reported deaths in the US from dogbites and does give a good overview of which breed of dogs can be considered the most dangerous if not handled correctly.

... but the overrepresentation in biting stats. by Goldens and Labs, is not so much over breeding as it is their great numbers, they are by far the most popular and therefor most numerus, if you break the stats. down to how many incedents pr. dog, those two breeds really dont bite very often, a lot of smaller breeds bite more often when looking at number of incidents according to number of dogs in total (Pudels, Peginnese).Fact is that guard- and fighting dog bites are much quicker reported, as their bites often does much more damaged due to the way they bite (full bite, canines and {pre-}molars, and hold) and the strength of the bite. Bites by small dogs or (mix) breeds that have a much softer bite (bite with only frontal teeth and/or canines or nip and loose) have often less damage and need less quick doctor or hospital help. And therefore, many many of them are not reported. This fact discolors the statistics a lot!

A very sad example, a family with a large ground round their big house, have two very well trained Rottweilers, their 10 year daugther have a friend home to stay for the weekend, the two girls play on the grounds and the two dogs are out to, there has never been one as much as little incedent with the dogs before and they are both more than 5 years old, the little guest needs a pe pe, beeing far from the house near the lake on the grounds she decides to just squat and do the thing near some bushes, Where was the supervision??? Also on this thread many posters states: NEVER leave young kids unsupervised with dog/s. the instant she starts she is without warning attacked and killed by the two dogs, now those who knows about dogs, knows why they did that, but the thing is they dident growl or bark to show they where displeased with her action, so she would have been scared and stopped and run away, or gave the daughter who knew the dogs a chance to reprimand them,the daughter was a 10 year old!!! they just attacked without any normal dog warning signals. This is unfortunately just one of many true cases of Rottweilers attacking.Who did the observation? The 10 year old daughter? How much was she able to recognize dog's body language?

Dogs will NOT attack out-of-the-blue, unless there is a severe physical problem such as a brain tumor. It this example, both dogs must have brain tumors, then? Dogs ALWAYS give body signals prior to a bite/snap or growl. This can be looking away, turning head away, walking away, staring, stiffening up, licking lips, putting tail up just 1 or 2 cm or more, putting hackles up, circling etc etc. You can't expect a 10 year old to be able to recognize some of these very subtle signals.

It is very possible that there has been signals already days, weeks months when these dogs were around the girls. Signals that haven't been picked up by the adults as such. This is something that happens very very often, although not that often with such a drastic and unfortunate outcome.

It is true, though, that with certain breeds it is more difficult to read the body language than with others (and the Rottweiler belongs to this group). Breed standards such as the mutilation of docking tails and cropping ears, erect tails in many terrier breeds, floppy ears, huge amounts of coat over the the eyes and face, etc. certainly doesn't help us, humans, and other dogs in reading this body language.

Nienke