First visa run

So, my wife starts work in a few weeks, but her visa doesn’t quite stretch long enough to make it to that point.

We thought we would do the overnight train to Vientiane and get a SETV. My question is, do we need a visa to enter Laos?

I believe it is easy enough to get one there.....passport photographs, the relevant form and fee. Drop off, then collect the next day. Am I missing anything?

I have a METV so don’t need a visa, but am just using it is my border run.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

He never said that was the intention of getting the SETV for

Well, then she needs to do a conversion or going on second visa run, better do the non-B right away. 

A few weeks before starting to work is not long time. 

She needs the SETV as it expires a couple of weeks before she starts work. The school (not Thai) have told her that she doesn’t need to do a visa run for the b visa as they take care of the whole process (visa, WP, extension).

Just bad timing really, if it had a few more weeks on it we wouldn’t need to do the run. The school said she need at least 15 days on the SETV for them to do their part.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

38 minutes ago, Goonerandy said:

Just bad timing really, if it had a few more weeks on it we wouldn’t need to do the run. The school said she need at least 15 days on the SETV for them to do their part.

The visa expiring means nothing. She needs at least 15 day remaining on her current 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Goonerandy said:

My question is, do we need a visa to enter Laos?

A few years ago i got a visa to enter Laos in BKK before travelling.  

One day service, maybe the more informed members can pinpoint the location to get it as i have forgotten exactly.

I do though remember it saved me a long wait at the Thai/Laos border.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Goonerandy said:

Well, yeah, that is what I mean. We have already extended by 30 days, and that ends in the 12 Apr.

She could also the do the change with a 30 day visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it. She could do a border run to get a new entry.

The only difference is the form used to apply for the non immigrant visa. TM86 change of visa status form for a  tourist visa entry or a TM87 non immigrant visa application form for the a exempt entry.

• Like 2

Hmm. Slightly different, but related. Returning from France, trip timed for avoiding 90 day reporting by engaging another of my multi entry deals on my non immigration "O" visa, permission to stay on the basis of retirement, ( why they have to complicate it and insist it is not a "visa" is really Byzantine, IMO), anyway, I had a stroke and was being wheeled about in a wheelchair. The attendant took my  arrival card, passport, etc., through the expedited entry queue. Good, right? Find out later the immigration chap stamped me in on a thirty day "on arrival" basis, completely ignoring the existing 90 day stamps on the same page, which do have the "type"O" retirement" info.
My type"O" not-a -visa from Savannakhet has an "enter before" date of July 4, 2018.
My reason for adopting this routine is to avoid the attempted 16,000 baht robbery at Jomtien immigration office.
I have no gross cognitive impairment from the stroke, which happened 3 March, but I am a bit slower now, I believe.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bill Miller

3 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Find out later the immigration chap stamped me in on a thirty day "on arrival" basis, completely ignoring the existing 90 day stamps on the same page, which do have the "type"O" retirement" info.

You can go to a immigration office to have the error corrected.

46 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Hmm. Slightly different, but related. Returning from France, trip timed for avoiding 90 day reporting by engaging another of my multi entry deals on my non immigration "O" visa, permission to stay on the basis of retirement, ( why they have to complicate it and insist it is not a "visa" is really Byzantine, IMO), anyway, I had a stroke and was being wheeled about in a wheelchair. The attendant took my  arrival card, passport, etc., through the expedited entry queue. Good, right? Find out later the immigration chap stamped me in on a thirty day "on arrival" basis, completely ignoring the existing 90 day stamps on the same page, which do have the "type"O" retirement" info.
My type"O" not-a -visa from Savannakhet has an "enter before" date of July 4, 2018.
My reason for adopting this routine is to avoid the attempted 16,000 baht robbery at Jomtien immigration office.
I have no gross cognitive impairment from the stroke, which happened 3 March, but I am a bit slower now, I believe.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Confused.

If you are required to do 90 day reports then you have an extension of stay not a visa. If you are leaving and returning every 90 days you have a multi entry visa and 90 day reports to your local Imm' office don't come into the equation.

If you had a single entry O from Sav' and left without getting a re-entry permit before the 90 days had passed then the 30 day visa exempt stamp is the correct one.

If you have a multi entry O then you can get the stamp corrected at Imm'.

Another edit.

If you are doing 90 day reports on an extension of stay and didn't get a re-entry permit when leaving then your extension of stay has gone and you will need to start again and get a new one.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

f you are required to do 90 day reports then you have an extension of stay not a visa. If you are leaving and returning every 90 days you have a multi entry visa and 90 day reports to your local Imm' office don't come into the equation.

Exactly. The initial multi entry visa entitles me to a year of coming and going, assuming the immigration people agree to keep giving me "permission to stay" stamps.
The reason I was doing the in and out is because last time I went to do my 90 day report I was informed that my previously acceptable affidavit of residency was no longer acceptable, and I would have to try to force my landlord to jump through a number of hoops. Unless, that is, I had 16,000 baht I had no other need for, and most of the problem could go away.
I had read a lot of instances of this kind of corruption, but was really nonplussed to encounter it personally. Thus the new visa from Laos and a chance to visit elsewhere every three months, until I kinda flubbed it this last trip. 
Not sure how far I can extend that last entry. Probably just apply for a new one when the time comes. I enjoyed Savannakhet. Yes, I am easily amused. :smile:
It was a new experience for me, getting the incorrect stamp, and if I was not stuck in the wheelchair might have noticed and (ever so politely) requested a correction on the spot.
Just was not sure how to remedy it. As usual Ubon Joe had the answer for the farang in difficulty. 
Thanks again, Joe.

Edited by Bill Miller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Exactly. The initial multi entry visa entitles me to a year of coming and going, assuming the immigration people agree to keep giving me "permission to stay" stamps.
The reason I was doing the in and out is because last time I went to do my 90 day report I was informed that my previously acceptable affidavit of residency was no longer acceptable, and I would have to try to force my landlord to jump through a number of hoops. Unless, that is, I had 16,000 baht I had no other need for, and most of the problem could go away.
I had read a lot of instances of this kind of corruption, but was really nonplussed to encounter it personally. Thus the new visa from Laos and a chance to visit elsewhere every three months, until I kinda flubbed it this last trip. 
Not sure how far I can extend that last entry. Probably just apply for a new one when the time comes. I enjoyed Savannakhet. Yes, I am easily amused. :smile:
It was a new experience for me, getting the incorrect stamp, and if I was not stuck in the wheelchair might have noticed and (ever so politely) requested a correction on the spot.
Just was not sure how to remedy it. As usual Ubon Joe had the answer for the farang in difficulty. 
Thanks again, Joe.

So. Previously you were on an extension of stay and changed to a multi O because of 90 day report problems.

A few months ago I had the 30 day stamp instead of the multi O 90 days I was due and it was sorted in three minutes at the airport. I understand why you missed it and have sympathy.

The 16,000 baht thing is just a total rip off.