American Woman Nearly Killed While Helping Thai Woman

sriracha john

I'm sure you should write the Santa Cruz Sentinel and tell them to verify their facts before printing such a story. After all, sounds like a journalist's dream: trip to Thailand to look up police reports, witness statements etc.

You getting a bit Narky there sbk ???

If the story was backed by proven facts then I would have no difficulty believing the story...but there is nothing apart from what the woman has said...not even her brother and father have said anything, according to the report given...surely the journo would have at least spoken to these two to try and verify the story. The journo could have contacted the Embassy to see if they could confirm anything or even the bar owner could have been contacted....or are these people involved in a cover up as well as the Phuket Police and the Hospital staff...???

So we are left to believe that this woman has gone to the rescue of a Thai woman, she has flattened a maniac with a machete and held him down with a foot on his chest...in a bar full of people and no one assisted...even when she had pinned him. She has then let the maniac back to his feet with the machete still in his possession and run away only to be hacked by the maniac and still no one assisted....She tells us that the man has admitted a serious and life threatening attack on her...only for the cops to try and sweep it under the table, and not lay charges. And then the first that is heard about it is when her local rag runs the story 6 months later....Do you not think that this story would have made the English speaking newspapers...especially after the high profiles cases against Farang women in Thailand that have graced the papers in recent times.

Unlike some people here and I dont make that comment at you specifically....I looked at the story objectively and not emotionally and to be truthful without supporting facts, I find it hard to believe. That is my perception of it and my opinion of it....sorry if it does not agree with yours.

:o

Nope, not narky at all. Just telling you you should contact the SC Sentinel and tell them to back up their story with facts instead of telling all of us here. :D

Not my job....and I have given up my court job to pursue further challenges in the criminal justice system here....

:o:D

You getting a bit Narky there sbk ???

If the story was backed by proven facts then I would have no difficulty believing the story...but there is nothing apart from what the woman has said...not even her brother and father have said anything, according to the report given...surely the journo would have at least spoken to these two to try and verify the story. The journo could have contacted the Embassy to see if they could confirm anything or even the bar owner could have been contacted....or are these people involved in a cover up as well as the Phuket Police and the Hospital staff...???

So we are left to believe that this woman has gone to the rescue of a Thai woman, she has flattened a maniac with a machete and held him down with a foot on his chest...in a bar full of people and no one assisted...even when she had pinned him. She has then let the maniac back to his feet with the machete still in his possession and run away only to be hacked by the maniac and still no one assisted....She tells us that the man has admitted a serious and life threatening attack on her...only for the cops to try and sweep it under the table, and not lay charges. And then the first that is heard about it is when her local rag runs the story 6 months later....Do you not think that this story would have made the English speaking newspapers...especially after the high profiles cases against Farang women in Thailand that have graced the papers in recent times.

Unlike some people here and I dont make that comment at you specifically....I looked at the story objectively and not emotionally and to be truthful without supporting facts, I find it hard to believe. That is my perception of it and my opinion of it....sorry if it does not agree with yours.

Reading your post it is hard to believe you have ever spent any time here.

Was that Thai Visa ??....look at my member number..... :D

Thailand ??.....well you wouldnt know now would you ?? But suffice to say I read speak and write Thai, I have been married to a Thai girl before and am about to embark on my second marriage to a Thai girl, both of whom live in Thailand at this time. If I had never been to Thailand I could have bought two or three houses in Oz by now....Nah mate....never been there at all :o

My court job ??....long enough to know that you dont believe everything at the first look. :D

Edited by gburns57au

Was that Thai Visa ??....look at my member number..... :o

Join dates, user numbers and post counts etc are totally irrelevant numbers on a BBS imh(umble)o.

And why is that ???

I have held the same number since day one, my post count to the best of my knowledge is accurate, When I joined there was a post around asking who would be member 69...I joined and got 169...exactly 100 off the posted figure...was quite proud about that...the join date is also accurate....If I changed ID or was suspended and came back then the details would be of a later date...I am still running on my original dates and member number...more than can be said for a few of the people here.

And anyway this is off topic...

:D:D:D

Was it relevant to the post...well the poster didnt specify where here was...I was just covering bases...

Join dates, user numbers and post counts etc are totally irrelevant numbers on a BBS imh(umble)o.

Yes I'd normally agree, however gburns is highly knowledgeable and well versed in all things thai. :D

Why thanks Brit.....ya sarcastic Buzzard.....

Yes I'd normally agree, however gburns is highly knowledgeable and well versed in all things thai. :bah:

Why thanks Brit.....ya sarcastic Buzzard.....

:D

I remember wifey once saying to me when we were first living together that "if you beat me it ok.. I not leave you" I mean <deleted> !! what do you respond to that.

wife beating isn't common now days compairing to my parents and grand parents old days. Well, from what I've seen anyway.. My aunt used to get beat up by her husband all the time when they first got married. One day she had enough of it and she told him, if you ever beat me up again, I will cut your head off while your are sleeping. From that day on her husband never beat her up anymore.. shrug..

Was that Thai Visa ??....look at my member number..... :D

Thailand ??.....well you wouldnt know now would you ?? But suffice to say I read speak and write Thai, I have been married to a Thai girl before and am about to embark on my second marriage to a Thai girl, both of whom live in Thailand at this time. If I had never been to Thailand I could have bought two or three houses in Oz by now....Nah mate....never been there at all :o

My court job ??....long enough to know that you dont believe everything at the first look. :D

I did see your low Visa membership number, but after reading your post it seemed hard to believe that you had spent much time here. Remember, there are Thai Visa members of long-standing who have never set foot here. Now that you have stated your bona fides I will take your word on it.

I still don't think you have a foot to stand on in your criticism of the story. Good to question what we read, but it strikes me that you have gone out of your way to disbelieve her story. Lord knows, I am not part of the crowd who believes that Thailand is a particularly dangerous place for foreigners, but incidents like that do happen from time to time, and the legal response can be quite varied. The fact that it might not have received wide coverage locally is meaningless.

I did see your low Visa membership number, but after reading your post it seemed hard to believe that you had spent much time here. Remember, there are Thai Visa members of long-standing who have never set foot here. Now that you have stated your bona fides I will take your word on it.

I still don't think you have a foot to stand on in your criticism of the story. Good to question what we read, but it strikes me that you have gone out of your way to disbelieve her story. Lord knows, I am not part of the crowd who believes that Thailand is a particularly dangerous place for foreigners, but incidents like that do happen from time to time, and the legal response can be quite varied. The fact that it might not have received wide coverage locally is meaningless.

Thanks for the quality reply...

As I stated before...the story lacks facts....that is why, in my opinion, I cant give it too much credit. Maybe I am cynical...I hinted to the fact I have worked in the criminal law area and have heard many trials...But a story without proven facts is just a story. I dont come from the side of "oh poor lady....she said it was so, it must be true" brigade...I judge a story on the presented facts not the presented allegations. I dont get waylaid by emotional issues.

Sure incidents do happen involving farangs and sometimes these can be very serious...but an attack of this nature would have surely received some coverage at the time. This post has been running for a while now and not one of our Phuket members has confirmed this incident...Even if not covered in the paper...then the local rumour mill would have been at work...an incident of this gravity would have been talked about locally.

I dont disbelieve the lady totally...I just want to see the facts not the allegations.

>On the back of Seaira Smith's neck is a tattoo of the word "tsunami" written in Thai.<

situation: POed guy with machete.

she rushed at the man and knocked him over.

?? right, attack a POed guy swinging a machete & be surprised when you get whacked

duh? :o

rule 1: stay clear of dudes swinging machetes

rule 2: see rule 1

her name is in Egyptian?

first name is a combination of "sea," "air" and "ra," the Egyptian sun god

??

rule 3: stay clear of chicks using the name of an Egyptian god with tattoos on their neck in Thai .. ...

actually that is probably rule 1.

Agree 100% cowards is a gentle way to call them , they lost their status of man in that situation . Hope she recover soon

In my experience, when the victim leaves the country the legal process appears to stop. No action is taken if the complainant is not available for court.

Unfair and most certainly wrong, but there you go.

As for the cowardly man, what about all the cowards in the bar who let a woman deal with it alone?

IMHO, to contend that someone is less of a man for not intervening in a dispute involving 1 m knives is ridiculous.

I'd have been out the door & as far away from the entire event / scene as possible.

What did the Thai girl do?

perhaps she was a thief & only a complete fool is going to suffer permanent injury coming to the aid of a sneak thief.

romantics / heroic meaningless gestures are best left in dime novels.

survival of the fittest .. & the most intelligent.

those who did not intervene are fine today .. the attention demanding dummie that attacked the man with a 1 m knife will never be the same.

do as you choose .. :o

but, to to insinuate that those that did not attack a man with a 1 m knife are not the man you 'would have been', is asinine / ignorant / stupid

Edited by pumper

IMHO, to contend that someone is less of a man for not intervening in a dispute involving 1 m knives is ridiculous.

I'd have been out the door & as far away from the entire event / scene as possible.

What did the Thai girl do?

perhaps she was a thief & only a complete fool is going to suffer permanent injury coming to the aid of a sneak thief.

romantics / heroic meaningless gestures are best left in dime novels.

survival of the fittest .. & the most intelligent.

those who did not intervene are fine today .. the attention demanding dummie that attacked the man with a 1 m knife will never be the same.

do as you choose .. :o

but, to to insinuate that those that did not attack a man with a 1 m knife are not the man you 'would have been', is asinine / ignorant / stupid

Thanks for the nice words , if Your target is hurt me on a public place using words as asinine / ignorant and stupid , i'm sorry but You miss it , I do not care about it , even You will replay using harder ones , I also respect Your thinking about the story and I have to say that for sure You are more smart than what I'm , trying to not be involved in a fighting between a young girl and a man armed with a machete in a foreign country without even know the reason why that man was trying to slice a young girl in the middle of a public place . In a situation like that any move could be very risk or even Your last move . Unlucky the way I'm is not so smart and in similar situation I strongly believe that Is a duty of every human try to stop that man using any way is necessary to do it , in my particular case I will try to stop him even if is target is not a young woman but a DOG ! You say that You don't know what the girl did , adding, perhaps she was a thief & only a complete fool is going to suffer permanent injury coming to the aid of a sneak thief. Thats means that You think that the right punishment for a thief is " being sliced by a machete in a public place " ? In that case I have a question , which one is the right punishement for phedofilia , rape , murder , drug dealer , bombing public place , force womans or child in to the prostitution and other " Real criminal act " ? I repeat Your way is smarter than mine but If I ever use Your way once in a similar case , I will have to get rid of any mirror in my house to prevent " Shame "any time I'll see my face . Regards anyway .

Unfair and most certainly wrong, but there you go.

As for the cowardly man, what about all the cowards in the bar who let a woman deal with it alone?

just goes to show why many people do not intervene anymore, gone are the days when the law is on your side.... would be surprised to hear she was in trouble for standing on the cowardly man...

>Agree 100% cowards is a gentle way to call them , they lost their status of man in that situation .<

so men are held to a different standard .. a higher standard .. :D .. now we have found common ground, I knew we agreed on something.

:D + :D = :D

however,

anyone who who casts names on a person, man or woman, who choses to not attack a person wielding a 1 m knife is .. a trouble maker themself.

:bah: or ;)

& the man that feels the need to live up to such :bah: standards is just as :o

a call to the proper authorities would be the correct response to that situation.

if she had been in that situation previously & went back to him SHE should also be jailed.

that couple could play that or similar games every night .. she might enjoy yanking his chain .. they might enjoy the intensity of such situations..

or she might be deserving of what she was getting..

again: if that was a repeat situation BOTH should be jailed for equal time.

Edited by pumper