20 registered Myanmar migrants burned to death on bus in Tak

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think it's about time for all these buses to be taken out of service until thorough safety checks have been carried out and comprehensive driver training program has been implemented. Although you will never completely eradicate these sort of incidents, they happen way to frequently here in Thailand.  SOMETHING MUST BE DONE NOW!!!!!

Yes this is dreadful. However, until the Thai government understand that training " proper training ", is introduce, this will continue. There is, as far as I know? I have been here 15 years. No good indentured training. Service the buses? Who is going to do that? Someone with the same training as the bus driver? I am in boating industry. All commercial boats must have a Thai skipper and engineer, who has a qualification!!! Not who is qualified!! You can buy them. Our Cook, who knows nothing about boats, has a skippers license, to drive a motor or sailing boat, up to 30 tons!! Ha! But she is more legal than me, who has international recognized qualifications, with 45 years of experience. The problem I feel? is the country is being run by a government who also probably purchased, or were given their power, but are not qualified or trained! A very sad day, and sadly a lot more to come. Rest in peace you poor soles who lost their life's. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

and cars and planes and trains and then get your ass kicked when the horse decides that it does not want to move.

Remember that buses have caught fire in the UK, USA, Europe and Australia and so have cars and planes and trains.

Yes of course, but at what frequency? I feel we need to get this into proportion? Blocked and locked fire exits? Which country do you come from? You would be in very serious trouble in most countries for this sort of behavior? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think it's about time for all these buses to be taken out of service until thorough safety checks have been carried out and comprehensive driver training program has been implemented. Although you will never completely eradicate these sort of incidents, they happen way to frequently here in Thailand.  SOMETHING MUST BE DONE NOW!!!!!

yes ! It's time to put those lazy thais on the work !

That's the reason they import workers , the local workers are too lazy to work .....for this

unbelievable salary .

Absolutely Disgusting Government that let all those UNSAFE vehicles on the road,,,Like Buses,Trucks Modified Utes to carry people ,Unsafe Old Tuk Tuks,that should have been scrapped 20 years ago.Than on top of that All those complete off the planet drivers(if one can call them that).What's this country coming to,,,,Going Backwards,,,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russell17au said:

and cars and planes and trains and then get your ass kicked when the horse decides that it does not want to move.

Remember that buses have caught fire in the UK, USA, Europe and Australia and so have cars and planes and trains.

Ridiculous argument , this country has the highest Road Death Toll in the world, Buses catching Fire or crashing because of faulty Brakes etc is almost a weekly occurrence,  comparing the rest of the countries you have mentioned and including Planes in that is just Laughable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another double decker taking lives. That is absolutely terrible for those poor people. Buses catching fire in Thailand is way too prevalent. If it isn't the brakes or the driver at fault, shoddy servicing and repair seems to step in to create way too much tragedy. How did those at the back get trapped? What happened to the emergency exit?

Prevalent? Really? Any links to all the buses that catch fire here that would lead you to believe in this prevalence?

2 hours ago, ostyan said:

I used to travel from Ranong to Hat Yai on every weekend. Emergency exits were always closed. Some passengers had to stand because they had no seats. The top of it was that the center luggage area was jammed with luggage and people. In case of an accident, they simply had no chance. I have no reason to believe that anything has changed....

How long ago was that ?

That must have been over 10 years ago

All the buses in Thailand that I have ever been on , everyone had a seat and no standing was allowed and all luggage was carried in the luggage compartment or in the overhead racks  .

(These are the proper buses , not the local buses)

45 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Ridiculous argument , this country has the highest Road Death Toll in the world, Buses catching Fire or crashing because of faulty Brakes etc is almost a weekly occurrence,  comparing the rest of the countries you have mentioned and including Planes in that is just Laughable.

is it laughable well how about you tell everybody about what material the insides including the seats are made from. Some of the things like brake failure has nothing to do with a bus catching fire that is to do with the lack of driver education and training.

You need to look at the things and then separate them into driver fault or like this fire into another catagory, there is a big difference but you must be able to work out the difference and be honest about it.

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Horrible accident.

It's just because of 20 at the same time.

So I'm very sure Thailand will hit all records this year.

RIP

Already exceeds the yearly total for many countries, could even be 2, 3, or even 4 times that of some countries with similar populations. 

But who cares, seems those in charge of running the country are the least concerned. 

It's still unclear exactly where the fire started on board this coach. I think it's a bit premature to comment about drivers, coach maintenance, Govt failings etc .... but I do acknowledge it's a popular drum to beat at the moment.

It may have been an engine bay fire, or something flammable stored in the luggage lockers, or an underfloor electrical fire, or simply some passenger fooling around with matches or a cigarette.

As the coach was utterly gutted, it quite possible the cause may never be determined by the forensics people.

A horrible tragedy, and somewhere there are a lot of families mourning.

By the by ... it was not a double decker tour coach. It was a non-airconditioned single high deck, meaning the seating platform has been raised a bit to allow for more underfloor luggage space.

Just now, electric said:

It's still unclear exactly where the fire started on board this coach. I think it's a bit premature to comment about drivers, coach maintenance, Govt failings etc .... but I do acknowledge it's a popular drum to beat at the moment.

It may have been an engine bay fire, or something flammable stored in the luggage lockers, or an underfloor electrical fire, or simply some passenger fooling around with matches or a cigarette.

As the coach was utterly gutted, it quite possible the cause may never be determined by the forensics people.

By the by ... it was not a double decker tour coach. It was a non-airconditioned single high deck, meaning the seating platform has been raised a bit to allow for more underfloor luggage space.

Forensic, you're not serious are you?

• Like 1

Imagine an author writing novels in which regularly dozen of people burn to death again and again in travelling buses of an imaginary country. Everyone would call him a half-crazy man writing B series horror novels!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, electric said:

it has already been reported by survivors that the fire started in the middle of the bus, and as the bus is rear mounted engine that rules out engine bay fire

Many of these buses that have been extended up from single deck buses are constructed using plywood and fibreglass, two highly flammable materials and of course gallons of lacquer to create the artwork for  the appearance. With a good fire started in the body of the bus, it was a blazing inferno when the superstructure caught fire.

That is my guess anyway.

RIP to the poor people that were cremated before their time.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Russell17au said:

No, diesel does not ignite quickly like petrol, it takes a fair bit of heat to ignite, my thoughts would be more on the line of someone lighting up a cigarette and it ending up on the seat which is highly flammable material and it would travel quickly or an electrical fault under the seats but this would be doubtful. The interior of the bus is the same whether it is a single deck or double decker and the same materials are used in other countries UK, USA, Europe and Australia in the fitting out of their coaches. One of the differences is that in most other countries smoking even by the driver is prohibited but unfortunately in Thailand it is not

You mean people are allowed to smoke in a bus? 

1 minute ago, Tchooptip said:

You mean people are allowed to smoke in a bus? 

you are in Thailand and the drivers smoke while driving the buses. I have only ever traveled by bus here once and both the driver and relief driver were smoking plus a couple of the passenger smoked on the bus

5 hours ago, firefox999uk said:

I'll second that....as well as the total black out conditions and panic...people get totally disorientated very quickly.

I was 32 years as a fire fighter so i have seen it all.....Very sad 

RIP to all the unfortunate souls.

Wow, 32 years firefighter...respect Sir, I guess you could write a book, maybe two.

No as a little boy I did not want to become a firefighter:biggrin: ... but as an adult, I have the greater respect for those men.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Already exceeds the yearly total for many countries, could even be 2, 3, or even 4 times that of some countries with similar populations. 

But who cares, seems those in charge of running the country are the least concerned. 

Yes, that's true. It make me sad and sick

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Assume you are being faceious ?

No not at all I thought it was impossible nowadays and absolutely forbidden in every country. Twenty years ago or more yes probably there were even ashtrays in the armrests, but not anymore...I would have thought that everywhere it was criminal even in Thailand...Sorry for such a  naivety :smile:    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Another double decker taking lives. That is absolutely terrible for those poor people. Buses catching fire in Thailand is way too prevalent. If it isn't the brakes or the driver at fault, shoddy servicing and repair seems to step in to create way too much tragedy. How did those at the back get trapped? What happened to the emergency exit?

has nothing to do with double deckers....this time. The reason for the fire was a smoking guy......

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

You need to look at the things and then separate them into driver fault or like this fire into another catagory, there is a big difference but you must be able to work out the difference and be honest about it.

RIP the deceased, lousy way to go!

Lot of guess work here which is as near to the facts as we will probably see! Seats don't (shouldn't!) burn quickly, IMO & I have some knowledge & training to back it up, I would surmise that the luggage caught fire - somehow? it would have contained lots of easily flammable items/substances, when the coach was in motion increased airflow would feed the fire lots of oxygen, when the coach stopped - flash fire or close to it!

No fire sensors in the luggage bays for sure, though I have no idea if that is mandatory anywhere.