Schools targeted as 80 foreigners arrested nationwide

webfact

10 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Seems like some teaching jobs are going to open up soon for new comers.

Yes hehehehehehe, Out all that lot only 5 actual Native English Teachers, all the others are been hired from schools trying to rip the other off and the school makes money from the Government saying they have English teachers employed. So yes get rid of them and make the proper Teachers get a more generous salary like they receive in close by Asian countries.

3 minutes ago, The Teacher said:

Yes hehehehehehe, Out all that lot only 5 actual Native English Teachers, all the others are been hired from schools trying to rip the other off and the school makes money from the Government saying they have English teachers employed. So yes get rid of them and make the proper Teachers get a more generous salary like they receive in close by Asian countries.

Five Native English Teachers doesn't say much about the quality of these people regarding their progress as educators. A lot of positions are only filled to show the parents that they've got white faces.

Why would a "real and educated" teacher work for 35,000 baht/month? But it would be great to know how much a school director receives for one employee.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, the Grace hotel, not you average bastion of culture and the gathering

of the  elite, more like the cesspool of iniquity....

well, they apparently found another Grace hotel; the one I know is on soi 3, not soi 23.

11 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

WhooHoo....the Canucks came out of it unscathed...must have been happy hour somewhere.....:post-4641-1156693976:

Apparently, so did the Australians, but then again, maybe the Canucks and Aussies aren't considered teachers.

16 hours ago, Happy enough said:

"Eight other foreigners were arrested on other criminal charges –four Vietnamese, two Myanmarians, one Indian, and one Briton"

i assume these others were for not having a WP. Interesting they are targeting the schools now

Yes they have decided to dumb down on education as the locals are getting far too smart for their own good

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yeah, the Grace hotel, not you average bastion of culture and the gathering

of the  elite, more like the cesspool of iniquity....

It's been an Arab place for 30 years at least. Only the gutter dregs of Thai girls end up there.  It makes the Nana hotel look like a monastery. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"...at the Grace Hotel on Soi Sukhumvit 23 "

The Grace Hotel, located in the heart of the busy souk in Soi 3  Lower Sukumvit area.

21 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

I have read that the Grace Hotel is the headquarters for the Thai Mafia - 2:00 AM is a strange time to hold a press conference - perhaps they meant 2:00 PM??

Thai reporters are hardly the bastion of accuracy. TIT.

On 30/03/2018 at 10:06 AM, Happy enough said:

strange thing about that is there were no filipinos arrested. maybe they are all legal but i thought they used alot of cheap filipino english teachers in the schools

There was a Filipino teaching English at my local school a while back. I couldn't understand a word of his.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

There was a Filipino teaching English at my local school a while back. I couldn't understand a word of his.

The Philippines are (an English speaking) part of ASEAN.   It may make it easier for them.  Not sure about the rules are for teachers now from within ASEAN.

21 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Five Native English Teachers doesn't say much about the quality of these people regarding their progress as educators. A lot of positions are only filled to show the parents that they've got white faces.

Why would a "real and educated" teacher work for 35,000 baht/month? But it would be great to know how much a school director receives for one employee.

Well said and very correct and agencies get double this from the school, so should the true teachers be paid more ???

Finally some good news.  Thailand's educational system is already operating at a severe deficit. Good to get some of these bozos out of here. Although it's probably just like "spitin' in the wind."

22 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

I was stationed for a while in the Philippines. Also Had a Filipina girlfriend in the states for six years. I understand them perfectly the language that is... ;)

On 3/30/2018 at 4:33 PM, Scottie12 said:

The big black guy doesn't seem to fall into any of the ethnic categories mentioned !

Brilliant!!! He could be from the UK or USA huh?  The article described the criminals by nationality not ethnicity.  I LOVE THAIVISA!!!

• Like 1

The education "system" is as much if not more to blame. Rather disingenuous for the Thai media and establishment to get their hackles up about this. Kind of an outrage, especially if you have done time as a teacher here, you know what the schools and admin get up to. In a word they want illegal teachers, cheaper and less hassle.  This is about smearing teachers and developing an atmosphere in which there is even more vulnerability, its about criminalizing all teachers in the minds of the public so that they voluntarily help  put pressure on teachers, reducing wages, reducing the scope of what teachers can bring to the table to empower and actually educate people. Make the teachers afraid to teach afraid to ask to be paid is probably what they want here.

8 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

The education "system" is as much if not more to blame. Rather disingenuous for the Thai media and establishment to get their hackles up about this. Kind of an outrage, especially if you have done time as a teacher here, you know what the schools and admin get up to. In a word they want illegal teachers, cheaper and less hassle.  This is about smearing teachers and developing an atmosphere in which there is even more vulnerability, its about criminalizing all teachers in the minds of the public so that they voluntarily help  put pressure on teachers, reducing wages, reducing the scope of what teachers can bring to the table to empower and actually educate people. Make the teachers afraid to teach afraid to ask to be paid is probably what they want here.

They're illegal.  Illegal aliens are ruining the rest of the world.  Just "jump through the hoops" and do it legally.  What is the problem with that.  Europe is finished.  the USA may be going the same way due to illegals flaunting the law.

7 hours ago, joeyg said:

They're illegal.  Illegal aliens are ruining the rest of the world.  Just "jump through the hoops" and do it legally.  What is the problem with that.  Europe is finished.  the USA may be going the same way due to illegals flaunting the law.

From what I understand, the small schools are unwilling to provide work permits because many of the teachers may not stay that long to make it worth the while of paying for the permits, meaning the teachers employed by schools like that are forced to work on a tourist visa, even if they plan to stay for worthwhile amount of time. Perhaps the answer would be to make the process of obtaining a work permit for teachers less expensive and less hassle. Unchecked immigration in Germany has certainly been a mistake but I think saying "Europe is finished" is a little hysterical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

From what I understand, the small schools are unwilling to provide work permits because many of the teachers may not stay that long to make it worth the while of paying for the permits, meaning the teachers employed by schools like that are forced to work on a tourist visa, even if they plan to stay for worthwhile amount of time. Perhaps the answer would be to make the process of obtaining a work permit for teachers less expensive and less hassle. Unchecked immigration in Germany has certainly been a mistake but I think saying "Europe is finished" is a little hysterical.

That what my European relatives tell me.  half the Brits here say the same about England.  And no far from hysterical.  I know the scenario you're talking about very well.  Follow the law and problem solved.  "forced to work on a tourist visa"  has an interesting ring to it don't ya think.  Pretty funny...

8 hours ago, joeyg said:

That what my European relatives tell me.  half the Brits here say the same about England.  And no far from hysterical.  I know the scenario you're talking about very well.  Follow the law and problem solved.  "forced to work on a tourist visa"  has an interesting ring to it don't ya think.  Pretty funny...

I just think that given Thailand is in dire need of improving the English of future generations so they can compete with their ASEAN neighbours, and that there are plenty of teacher swilling to work in Thailand and would like to do so legally, it's a problem that can be easily solved. It would simply require streamlining the current process to make it fair on the schools and those they employ. I'm not sure what you mean by "has an interesting ring to it don't ya think."

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, Expatthailover said:

If you are illegal you are illegal whether it be a school teacher or a bog cleaner.

Well done thailand

Semantic trash from a self sanctimonious who needs to get a life.  Your response puts a teacher in the same class with a drug dealer or pedophile.  Hey!  I know a cancer patient who was too sick to travel and was well into overstay.  They should have thrown that scoundrel in jail and thrown away the key!

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Your point?

Edited by techboy
misunderstood the post i was responding to
  • Haha 1