TM30 within 24 hours arrival BKK airport? Onward domestic travel?

Many things are confused again

TM28: With this form you report yourself (Law Section 37(2), (3), (4) or (5), penalty up to 5000THB and 200THB per day), this can be done at any police station or immigration police

TM30: With this form the homeowner reports you (Law Section 38, penalty up to 2000THB for private persons), this has to be done at immigration police office or online

So if the IO threatened you with a 5000THB fine he was obviously referring to the TM28 and not a TM30

By law when you stayed in your condo in Bangkok you would have had to do a TM28 and a TM30 for your own place. When you arrived upcountry you would have had to do a TM28 and your wife would have had to do the TM30 for you.

My suggestion would be: Next time you are in the situation as now, submit the TM28 when you are upcountry at a police station. They don't know what this is anyway, they just sign it and you are good to go, they won't check anything or try to fine you. Then you send your wife alone to do the TM30, they can't fine your wife if you failed to do a TM30 in Bangkok. Then you are clear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

TM28: With this form you report yourself (Law Section 37(2), (3), (4) or (5), penalty up to 5000THB and 200THB per day), this can be done at any police station or immigration police

TM30: With this form the homeowner reports you (Law Section 38, penalty up to 2000THB for private persons), this has to be done at immigration police office or online

So if the IO threatened you with a 5000THB fine he was obviously referring to the TM28 and not a TM30

By law when you stayed in your condo in Bangkok you would have had to do a TM28 and a TM30 for your own place. When you arrived upcountry you would have had to do a TM28 and your wife would have had to do the TM30 for you.

My suggestion would be: Next time you are in the situation as now, submit the TM28 when you are upcountry at a police station. They don't know what this is anyway, they just sign it and you are good to go, they won't check anything or try to fine you. Then you send your wife alone to do the TM30, they can't fine your wife if you failed to do a TM30 in Bangkok. Then you are clear.

if they dont live close to IO then the wife can do the TM30 at the police station as well

13 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

if they dont live close to IO then the wife can do the TM30 at the police station as well

Depends on the police station and your immigration office

On the TM30 it says something like "if there is no immigration office in your area you can do it at a police station", but they leave it open to what "area" is.

I asked an IO at Udon about this once, in his opinion this refers to "province". He explained to me that for example in Bueng Kan (not 100% sure if it was Bueng Kan or some other province) they don't have an immigration office and that you could do it at a police station in this case.

So it might happen that they are not happy if you do it at a normal police station. And it might happen that the normal police won't accept it and tells you to go to the immigration police.

But of course the wife might give it a try, maybe they accept it.

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Depends on the police station and your immigration office

On the TM30 it says something like "if there is no immigration office in your area you can do it at a police station", but they leave it open to what "area" is.

I asked an IO at Udon about this once, in his opinion this refers to "province". He explained to me that for example in Bueng Kan (not 100% sure if it was Bueng Kan or some other province) they don't have an immigration office and that you could do it at a police station in this case.

So it might happen that they are not happy if you do it at a normal police station. And it might happen that the normal police won't accept it and tells you to go to the immigration police.

But of course the wife might give it a try, maybe they accept it.

our immigration office and police station are cool with it. we do it every year and we are 70 km from our provincial IO

Below is my TM30 report at CW. If I were the OP, I would not worry going to immigration up country. Just do any reporting at CW when required. They are not interested in TM30's.

Mean in Chaeng Wattana you not need to file a TM30 after you returning back from outside the Country?

I was thinking if you don't do it you also can't do the 90 day report online, as this only works, with a TM30 with the new arrival card you received in their system?

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No you don't. They do not ask for one from individuals.

Thanks. This mean after returning back from outside you only need to care the 90 days report if you stay longer in the Country and of course the extension (at Chaeng Wattana)?

47 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Thanks. This mean after returning back from outside you only need to care the 90 days report if you stay longer in the Country and of course the extension (at Chaeng Wattana)?

That is correct.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thanks Jackdd, this seems like a good solution moving forward.

I spend about 50% of my time in any year upcountry and 50% in Bangkok so sometimes I will likely need to visit upcountry IO. Despite the threats of fines they give me upcountry (but until now only threats and no fines!) the IO service upcountry is very easy to reach for me and process services quickly  vs CW in Bangkok so upcountry is still my preferred choice.

Another question, even if I did a TM28/TM30 in Bangkok first it has no end date? The upcountry IO still relies on us filling in a TM30 truthfully to report arrival there? This was pointed out to me when the upcountry IO also asked if I had any local bus ticket to prove I traveled when I did? Maybe they only asked because my records were empty since landing in BKK airport but I guess (maybe ?) if I do a TM28 in Bangkok first (at a police station?) then this should be enough for upcountry to accept me?

• Like 1