Electricity costs

argoscrete

Help and advice needed.

Renting a small 2 bedroom bungalow in Chalong area of Phuket. Landlord just increaed water costs per m3 from ฿20 to ฿30. Can this be legal - a 50% increase!

Also, I think I read recently that the Government is prohibiting landlords charging more than cost price for electricity from May 2018. Is this correct? Currently I pay ฿7 per unit.

Thanks for any replies.

Also, I think I read recently that the Government is prohibiting landlords charging more than cost price for electricity from May 2018. Is this correct? Currently I pay ฿7 per unit.

7B could be near the cost price if your house is on the business tariff rather than the domestic tariff.

• Thanks 1

Landlord just increaed water costs per m3 from ฿20 to ฿30. Can this be legal - a 50% increase!

It all depends on where he buys the water from. My condo building pays about 35B for city water (business tariff), plus there is a waste water service charge. If your water is on the domestic tariff, or comes in a tanker or from a well, the cost might be very different.

She's jacking you up. Expect it until you get into a real house. How much is your rent? Overpriced also?  I pay 24k for a small 2 bedroom house just south of the circle but I pay city electric rates and have well water free for bathing but get drinking water delivered. What I'm saying is if the rent is low but the electric is an overcharge weigh it all out before getting upset over the principal. My landlord doesn't know I searched everywhere for a house that allowed pets and I had to move. She was the only option I had and could have really bent me over if she knew.  I think the rent should be about 2k lower but that's not gonna make me move. I even slapped a carport up for 40k and she never even considered chipping in. That's just how they are. Take it easy. 

• Like 1

You say you are in a bungalow.

Is the bungalow on a separate property from the landlords with its own water and electricity meters?

If you are on the same property as the landlord are you on a separate meter for your utilities?

If you are not on a separate meter to the landlord then you could be paying the landlords water and electricity for them.

My suggestion would be to get out and get a place that has its own meters for your utilities

59 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Lucky you. Be happy your landlord is not having water delivered by truck, then it could be 125 baht per m³, that's what I pay, and I'm my own landlord...:whistling:

that is a typical landlord rip off:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:
2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Lucky you. Be happy your landlord is not having water delivered by truck, then it could be 125 baht per m³, that's what I pay, and I'm my own landlord...:whistling:

that is a typical landlord rip off:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I'm also concerned about that, so I consider to sell my house and move...:sad:

• Haha 1

Can you believe it, I pay 200฿ for one year, (for the fifth year)

it's a well, no idea at all how many cubic meters it represents, my wife water the garden lets say 15 minutes every night on the dry season, sometimes I wash my car, our two motorbikes. My wife taking two showers every day, me more often three. 

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Just put in a complaint to the landlord and tell them that unless they smarten up you will get a new landlord

• Thanks 1

@KittenKong I've recently had to do the calculations for the the cost of water and electric for various Thai style apartments the company I work for owns in Bangkok.

Our cost price is roughly 16 baht for water and 5 baht for electric. We started charging these prices on the invoices we sent out on the 25th March (i.e. 1 month before the deadline).

These are for buildings with over 100 rooms, plus the usual ground floor commercial spaces, laundry, etc.

I would imagine all but the very biggest residential buildings would use less electric and water than us. If we pay that much, I don't think many landlords in Bangkok using MEA/MWA could reasonably charge more than we do.

To clarify, all our properties are billed according to the commercial tariffs for businesses.

Edited by blackcab
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Can you believe it, I pay 200฿ for one year, (for the fifth year)

it's a well, no idea at all how many cubic meters it represents, my wife water the garden lets say 15 minutes every night on the dry season, sometimes I wash my car, our two motorbikes. My wife taking two showers every day, me more often three. 

I can beat that: whilst I have a 15 metre well I draw the water for my garden from a nearby klong, cost = zero. Which means my household water bill is strictly based on domestic consumption, an average of 195 baht per month.

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Better start Drilling a Bore or Well.

Our cost price is roughly 16 baht for water and 5 baht for electric. We started charging these prices on the invoices we sent out on the 25th March (i.e. 1 month before the deadline).

I thought that the business electricity rate was more than that, not that I have looked at it at all carefully as I am on the domestic rate.

As I mentioned, my condo is billed 35B per unit for city water at the business rate, plus about 5B per unit as a waste treatment supplement, and other buildings I know of pay the same amount, so I dont know how your buildings are getting it for only 16B. Maybe it's a Bangkok thing.

51 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I thought that the business electricity rate was more than that, not that I have looked at it at all carefully as I am on the domestic rate.

As I mentioned, my condo is billed 35B per unit for city water at the business rate, plus about 5B per unit as a waste treatment supplement, and other buildings I know of pay the same amount, so I dont know how your buildings are getting it for only 16B. Maybe it's a Bangkok thing.

MWA is cheaper than PWA: PWA also splits the country into zones, with price differences between zones.

https://www.mwa.co.th/ewtadmin/ewt/mwa_internet_eng/ewt_news.php?nid=309

http://en.pwa.co.th/contents/service/table-price

One development I know of in Rayong recently paid to change from a communal meter to individual meters for each residence. The same volume of water was used, but every residence paid less.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

Better start Drilling a Bore or Well.

I have, and I gave up after 9-years because of increasing bad quality – a really hopeless situation now, when having to pay for water, I need to cut back on something else, and even begin to drink water...:crying:

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Dig a well and get some tanks, probably cheaper than your water's costing you now depending on your consumption.

• Thanks 1

Your water charges sound outrageous, our village water on a temporary (developers supply) is 10 Baht /m3, but then you have to consider where yours comes from.

For example, we have constructed a water tower with storage tank, to combat (frequent) loss of power, to maintain a constant supply and a reasonable supply pressure, 2 wells, expensive commercial filters and pumps to provide (claimed - not yet tested) drinkable quality water, a total approximate outlay of 300,000 Baht. That's before we even consider the irrigation set up for the landscaping.

Do you not think it is only fair to charge a premium for a reliable clean water supply, running and maintenance costs of pumps and filters etc? Our neighbours guests get no water at all during power cuts and low supply pressure on the mains.

PEA refused to connect our apartments separate from our house (only 2) with direct power supply / meters, instead we had to pay 250,000 Baht for a transformer. Fair enough that was our developers risk / expense. But it will certainly be taken into account if we sell instead of rent.

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

I have, and I gave up after 9-years because of increasing bad quality – a really hopeless situation now, when having to pay for water, I need to cut back on something else, and even begin to drink water...:crying:

Sorry, hadn't read your later post before my earlier response.

Have you tried installing some filters to improve your quality?

Edited by Tofer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tofer said:

Sorry, hadn't read your later post before my earlier response.

Have you tried installing some filters to improve your quality?

I was joking a bit about water rates, however the price I pay is true enough.

Thanks for your suggestion and yes, I have filters. I live by the beach with very red water – it's always been like that by the beach, the local says, but getting worse during the last years – and I'm tired of cleaning 5 filters before a tank, and furthermore also a circulation filter inside the tank (together with air-mix, i.e. oxygen, and UV-lamp); and renewing 50 kg sand in the two big sand-filters once a year. So it's a nice relief having installed external water tanks, and having a truck to deliver clean water.

And looking at the bright side of life, I just have to think about how much money I save pr m³ compared to the going price for tap-water supply in my home country; makes me feel very happy to pay 125 baht only...:smile:

• Like 1

On 31/03/2018 at 9:29 PM, blackcab said:

From May 1st 2018 the landlord must charge the cost price of water and electric if they rent 5 units or more, whether the units are in the same location or not.

Just find somewhere nicer to live. The first month the landlord has the property vacant they will lose more than they would ever gain.

it is illegal and you notify the electric and water company. He is not a minced power agent lol. They will deal with him.

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

I was joking a bit about water rates, however the price I pay is true enough.

Thanks for your suggestion and yes, I have filters. I live by the beach with very red water – it's always been like that by the beach, the local says, but getting worse during the last years – and I'm tired of cleaning 5 filters before a tank, and furthermore also a circulation filter inside the tank (together with air-mix, i.e. oxygen, and UV-lamp); and renewing 50 kg sand in the two big sand-filters once a year. So it's a nice relief having installed external water tanks, and having a truck to deliver clean water.

And looking at the bright side of life, I just have to think about how much money I save pr m³ compared to the going price for tap-water supply in my home country; makes me feel very happy to pay 125 baht only...:smile:

Quite agree, probably never be as expensive as back home. Glad you can still see a positive side to it.

Some of my neighbours have the same problem in Koh Lanta with the red water, don't know why because ours is a clear as a bell only 200m away, just a high PH reading (8.3) and a bit of grit.

I would still want the delivered water tested in case you need some filters for that even. 

Maybe as you said earlier, a move away might be on the cards.

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Quite agree, probably never be as expensive as back home. Glad you can still see a positive side to it.

Some of my neighbours have the same problem in Koh Lanta with the red water, don't know why because ours is a clear as a bell only 200m away, just a high PH reading (8.3) and a bit of grit.

I would still want the delivered water tested in case you need some filters for that even. 

Maybe as you said earlier, a move away might be on the cards.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Just 100 meters back the water is crystal clear, it's a common beachfront problem here. The delivered water is almost of drinkable quality, however I keep using two ceramic filters and a 50 liter green "manganese" sand filter, plus the tank-circulation, which is to keep the water fresh in the storage tank, and works very well...:wink:

A move is not at all "in the cards"; water fees are relative non-important, compared to the price of a Koh Samui beachfront...:whistling:

However, expenses like electricity and water are relative to one's income and budget, so even smaller expenses in money-value matters for some; however, it can also be that small money that it's not worth changing good time to worry about it, like 20 baht or 30 baht per m³ water – even it's a relative 50% price increase – normal use is calculated around 50 m³ all inclusive per person a year, i.e. 1,000 baht to 1,500 baht a year, or $30 to $50, which should be affordable for all...:smile:

Edited by khunPer

On 01/04/2018 at 1:58 PM, khunPer said:

I live in a small Thai mooban in rural Khampaeng Phet and I pay 2 baht per m³ unless we run out and use the borehole and then it is 5 baht per m³.

Electricity this year is about 4.3 baht per unit direct from the PEA via the meter.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Just 100 meters back the water is crystal clear, it's a common beachfront problem here. The delivered water is almost of drinkable quality, however I keep using two ceramic filters and a 50 liter green "manganese" sand filter, plus the tank-circulation, which is to keep the water fresh in the storage tank, and works very well...:wink:

A move is not at all "in the cards"; water fees are relative non-important, compared to the price of a Koh Samui beachfront...:whistling:

However, expenses like electricity and water are relative to one's income and budget, so even smaller expenses in money-value matters for some; however, it can also be that small money that it's not worth changing good time to worry about it, like 20 baht or 30 baht per m³ water – even it's a relative 50% price increase – normal use is calculated around 50 m³ all inclusive per person a year, i.e. 1,000 baht to 1,500 baht a year, or $30 to $50, which should be affordable for all...:smile:

Last year I used 415 m³  at a cost of 1,194 baht for 3 people plus visitors.

I have a feeling that you are paying well over the odds.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Last year I used 415 m³  at a cost of 1,194 baht for 3 people plus visitors.

I have a feeling that you are paying well over the odds.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I'm paying too much, water delivered by 2m³-truck (tank on a pick-up car) on an island for 250 baht a load is going rate that everybody pay; i.e. 125 baht per m³.

When I used my own well the external price was 0 baht per m³, the price for my time cleaning filters was worth more than the cost of 125 baht per m³...:whistling:

If I had stayed home in my home country, I would in average be charged equivalent to 325 baht per m³, so I'm happy for all the money I save here...:smile:

The 20-30 baht per m³ was OP's rant.