Home Brewed Beer

sceadugenga

Thanks Wal,

At that price I think theres a good chance its 50% sugar syrup.

For 100% pure youre looking at a minimum 300 B, I think.

However, if it turns out tasteing good, who cares ! :o

Whens tasteing Day ?

Did you try the Ginger beer yet ?

Thanks Wal,

At that price I think theres a good chance its 50% sugar syrup.

For 100% pure youre looking at a minimum 300 B, I think.

However, if it turns out tasteing good, who cares ! :o

Whens tasteing Day ?

Did you try the Ginger beer yet ?

I'm shocked that you think my 200 Baht honey could be 50% added sugars. The bottles had the OTOP seal of authenticity etc, etc...

The Mead is still settling in the 20 liter jug. Think I will let it sit another week and then bottle with a little priming sugar. At least a two week wait after that.

I haven't started the ginger beer. Maybe in a day or two.

I got sidetracked after my wife drove the new car into a fence post.

Do you have anything bubbling?

Mike

I dont know specificly about OTOP honey, but Im told most of the stuff you see for sale in whiskey bottles has been diluted with syrup, thats the opinion of the locals.

Im also told that pure honey direct from the bee keepers is about 300 B for a 750 ml whiskey bottle. So anything less than that you can make your own conclusions.

I'm in Mae Hongson area, maybe its cheaper in other parts of the country, try getting a Thai friend to ask around, although the person selling the stuff is probably not the right person to ask.

Then again, does it make any difference to the Mead, only a taste will tell.

I smelled the Mead today and it actually smells a little sour. That might be bad.

I think it is a little warm here for good brewing. The Mead foamed a lot for a couple of days and then just quit. I will carry on to the bottling and drinking stages anyway and see how it tastes.

I am about 40 km from Pattaya on the road to Bangkok.

A small town called Bangsaen.

Mike

I think it is a little warm here for good brewing.

I was a home (beer) brewer for ~ 10 years in the U.S.A. Fermentation temperatures are pretty important to successful home brewing. For Ales (top fermenting yeasts) the ideal temeprature range is 14 ~ 22 C, and for lagers (bottom fermenting yeasts) it is 7 ~ 12 C (exclusive of any secondary 'lagering' fermentation done at 1 ~ 5 C). In many regions of the U.S.A. these temperatures are possible in basements (rooms below ground) year-round without control (except for lagering).

I just don't see how you could make a decent home brew here unless using say an old refrigerator (which requires an additional, more accurate thermostat) to hold the fermentation vessel (carboy)? Perhaps there are special yeasts that can ferment at higher temperatures, but the higher the fermentation temperature might lead to 'unique' flavor characteristics?

I always used liquid yeasts (1028 for Ales and 2007 for Lagers) which are expensive but it are easy to grow starter cultures for many batches of beer.

I am sorry lads, I have let this run for as long as I can, but I have to close the thread now.

It is not legal to brew your own wine, beer, mead or other alcoholic beverage without a license from the excise department. This thread has, for a while, been discussing illegal practices and can not be permitted to continue. For the sake of TV, please carry on any future chat in person, by PM or email.

Thanks guys.

P