sound system for aging TV

tutsiwarrior

I've got a 5 y.o. samsung 40" LED TV and the sound is fading, only ever used it for music (laptop to TV via HDMI) and for downloaded movies...it never was very nice as the movie dialog was always hard to hear, buncha mumbling, etc...recently it's been playing up and now the sound is fuzzy even after all sound adjustments on the TV menu...looks like I might need a boost with an external speaker arrangement...

I'll spring fer about 2 - 3000 baht, what can folks suggest? 'sound bar' etc? the TV has 2 HDMI ports and the usual little round ports for AV in and out...one of the HDMI ports is permanently connected to the laptop...I'm a bit confused about the connection between the exterior speaker arrangement and the TV; HDMI? AV audio out? separate power supply? etc...I'm in the provinces and will go to the local big tesco to buy the stuff...any lazada suggestions?

thanks in advance...

You dont have many options in that price range. You should be able to find an entry-level soundbar for the top end of your budget, or perhaps a little more. Powerbuy have a Panasonic soundbar for 3990B that you could audition. Personally I would avoid no-name brands.

I think that in your shoes I would probably just buy speakers to the maximum value of your budget and use them as external speakers on your TV (assuming that it has an external speaker connection and that the amplifier in the TV is powerful enough to drive the speakers) as that should give you the best sound for your buck.

Since you are only playing content from your laptop you can use a standard 3.5mm audio cable straight from your laptop to a soundbar. I would think even a very cheap soundbar will have better sound than standard TV speakers.

5ac1a1a9d7da0_TRS35-CAB-Main-500x500.jpg.42002a132e4b25feaa4395c4839f868c.jpg

Cheap soundbar. Just as an example. Not recommending this particular one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-speaker-b28s-i145537409-s168236907.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommend_2.2.23934f30heCZcF&pa=item_page.right&mp=1&src=cbr_3&pos=1&impsrc=UN355ELAB10RK3ANTH-81456591&did=8f4a254a-eaca-4d45-8d8e-548c8e56afb3&cid=12100

There is this Samsung soundbar on Lazada, I've seen them being sold in Bangkok in digilife gadget as well, seems to have good ratings.

SAMSUNG Soundbar 80W. 2.2 Ch รุ่น HW-J250/XT (Black)

฿2,690.00
฿2,990.00-10%
Promotion and price above are valid through 02/04/2018

15 minutes ago, userabcd said:

There is this Samsung soundbar on Lazada, I've seen them being sold in Bangkok in digilife gadget as well, seems to have good ratings.

SAMSUNG Soundbar 80W. 2.2 Ch รุ่น HW-J250/XT (Black)

฿2,690.00
฿2,990.00-10%
Promotion and price above are valid through 02/04/2018

I bought this from Lazada for 1650 baht, think the price has gone up since. Definitely an improvement over the TV speakers.

It would seem as if I have the same TV set that you have and I also bought a Samsung soundbar for it, which has made a big difference and made watching movies much more enjoyable.

Just check on the back/side of your TV to see if you have a digital audio out optical connection (mine has and yours may well have also) because this is probably the best connection to have to the soundbar?

Saves too many cables hanging around the place and supposedly delivers better quality.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

It would seem as if I have the same TV set that you have and I also bought a Samsung soundbar for it, which has made a big difference and made watching movies much more enjoyable.

Just check on the back/side of your TV to see if you have a digital audio out optical connection (mine has and yours may well have also) because this is probably the best connection to have to the soundbar?

Saves too many cables hanging around the place and supposedly delivers better quality.

Older TV's like mine don't have an optical connection so I had to make do with the Audio out connections, but it is still a huge improvement.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Since you are only playing content from your laptop you can use a standard 3.5mm audio cable straight from your laptop to a soundbar. I would think even a very cheap soundbar will have better sound than standard TV speakers.

5ac1a1a9d7da0_TRS35-CAB-Main-500x500.jpg.42002a132e4b25feaa4395c4839f868c.jpg

Cheap soundbar. Just as an example. Not recommending this particular one.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-speaker-b28s-i145537409-s168236907.html?spm=a2o4m.pdp.recommend_2.2.23934f30heCZcF&pa=item_page.right&mp=1&src=cbr_3&pos=1&impsrc=UN355ELAB10RK3ANTH-81456591&did=8f4a254a-eaca-4d45-8d8e-548c8e56afb3&cid=12100

Another option is to use the laptop speaker port and a 3.5mm audio cable to a set of powered desktop speakers such as the Creative T20 SERIES ll 2.0.

pdt-mhl-gigaworks_t40_series_II.jpg

You can pick up a pair from Lazada for less than 3000 baht here.

My suggestion is to first take it to a locate repair shop for diagnostics.  If the TV"s soundcard or amplifier is failing, external speakers for the TV won't fix the problem.  It might cost less to repair compared to buying speakers. 

thanks to all for the suggestions...looks like I'll havta use the 'AV audio OUT' for the connection to external speakers, looks like a headphone jack on the back panel of the TV...would need to find speakers that would suit that arrangement...

or, could I use the headphone jack on the laptop for the same purpose? would need to mute the sound from the TV with the speakers connected...

when the TV was new the movie dialog sound was bad so I don't wanna restore it to a new condition...an external speaker arrangement sounds like the way to go...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanks to all for the suggestions...looks like I'll havta use the 'AV audio OUT' for the connection to external speakers, looks like a headphone jack on the back panel of the TV...would need to find speakers that would suit that arrangement.

Did that before I found the optical audio out connection and it was ok.

You may find that the small AV outlet needs a dual adaptor to ensure both speakers work ok.

15 minutes ago, mikecha said:

go to adverts many tv for sale from people leaving sure u can find something reasonable 

sounds like a good idea but in my case I get nervous when I havta drive outside of a 30km radius of my house...the seller would havta live close by...

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

A set of half decent powered PC speakers will sound miles better than any cheap soundbar.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Depends what you call cheap. My Samsung soundbar was only 1600 baht, and it sounds 10X better than my desktop speakers.

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Depends what you call cheap. My Samsung soundbar was only 1600 baht, and it sounds 10X better than my desktop speakers.

Yep, bought the Samsung Airtrack soundbar with a sep woofer and it has a few settings (movie, tv, 3D sound) and is great for my apartment and the 3D sound is so effective that on occasion I have to look behind me to be sure it is only the movie sound!

On 4/2/2018 at 11:38 AM, giddyup said:

I bought this from Lazada for 1650 baht, think the price has gone up since. Definitely an improvement over the TV speakers.

I was looking at this one...how does the soundbar connect to the TV? audio out plugs? separate power supply required?

I need to order some other stuff from lazada so this might be a good time...

34 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I was looking at this one...how does the soundbar connect to the TV? audio out plugs? separate power supply required?

I downloaded the manual and had a look...looks like a simple connection to the TV earphone jack...for which they don't provide a cable?

needa splice a couple of phone earphone cables together...a million dollar outfit and no aux audio cable, sheesh...

On 4/18/2018 at 11:14 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

I connected mine via the audio output, but a cable is supplied if you have an optic connection, I didn't on my old Panasonic TV.

Archived