Buy trees

EricTh

Can somebody recommend a place where I can buy trees or bushes that are around 4 to 5 feet high to surround the gates of my house? 

I prefer an inexpensive place, I went to Kham Tieng market but prices there are quite expensive and trees there are not what I wanted.

Edited by EricTh

Is there a name  (preferably in Thai) of the "type of trees"  that you want ?    If you want bushes that are

4 to 5 feet high it is easiest and cheaper to buy smaller and  ............watch them grow to that height.

i know a few possibilities that work for me,  but may not for you.  One that I like is called "christina" that

is very hardy.  It is distinctive in that the outer leaves are reddish as it grows (sorry, best i can describe it)

They grow fairly quickly and can be trimmed bush style or if left alone will grow and grow.  Bought at 35 baht size (about 36 inches ) they will grow quickly.  You can also buy some that are a meter or taller, but 

price goes up a lot

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Is there a name  (preferably in Thai) of the "type of trees"  that you want ?    If you want bushes that are

4 to 5 feet high it is easiest and cheaper to buy smaller and  ............watch them grow to that height.

i know a few possibilities that work for me,  but may not for you.  One that I like is called "christina" that

is very hardy.  It is distinctive in that the outer leaves are reddish as it grows (sorry, best i can describe it)

They grow fairly quickly and can be trimmed bush style or if left alone will grow and grow.  Bought at 35 baht size (about 36 inches ) they will grow quickly.  You can also buy some that are a meter or taller, but 

price goes up a lot

I don't have any preference, I just need some bush/trees that does the following jobs.

1. Keep out dogs and cats (make it difficult for them to pass)

2. hardy (water once every two weeks)

3. Partially block view of strangers passing by

4. Aesthetic is a plus but not compulsory

"Christina" sounds good , pic below

where can I buy it? 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/499266308662652510/

This purple plant also looks interesting

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/580471839442118944/

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

1. Keep out dogs and cats (make it difficult for them to pass)

2. hardy (water once every two weeks)

3. Partially block view of strangers passing by

4. Aesthetic is a plus but not compulsory

Sounds like you need a fence... or a wall.. 

• Like 1

m afraid XGM is right:  if you are trying to keep animals (or people) out you're gonna need some kind of

fence !  Nothing short of a wall or sturdy fence is going to keep dogs out.  If really on a budget you can do

something with posts and wire and plant your bushes 1/2 mt or so inside.  Christina is pictured top left

of your link .....but pic does not do it justice.  I can send you pic tomorrow.

Some of the bushes (red flower ...dok kem)  will form a hedge but will take years !  Purple flower does not

grow tall and is flimsy.   Anything you plant will need attention (watering) until established. After one rainy season christina can be watered every 2 weeks no problem.  Kam Tien is the place to buy . They all know what christina is.   find a place that has them in black plastic bags , NOT in containers,  and price should be

about 35 baht each.  Plant about a meter apart for your purpose.  At 35 baht they will not be huge and will

take a rainy season to reach about a meter in heigth.  Then up and up.........and will grow together into a 

hedge

18 minutes ago, rumak said:

m afraid XGM is right:  if you are trying to keep animals (or people) out you're gonna need some kind of

fence !  Nothing short of a wall or sturdy fence is going to keep dogs out.  If really on a

There is already a sturdy metal fence but there are big gaps between the metal plates.  The smaller dogs came through those gaps.

I need to plant something bushy in between the metal plates.

35 baht for one small Christina isn't cheap because I need about 30 or more.

Edited by EricTh

Small dogs etc will get under pretty well any hedge and once a pathway is worn it won't grow back.

Best solution? Get some 1" galvanised mesh (not chicken wire I'm thinking of a woven square mesh of 2mm wires) and reinforce the bottom of your existing fence. We got our mesh from Global House, it comes in flat panels (2mx1m IIRC) rather than a roll and looks like this:-

woven_wire_mesh_panels.jpg

You'll need bolt cutters to trim it.

Then Christina (get small plants, they grow quite fast and the mesh will protect them) or the old favourite bougainvillea will grow through and disguise the lot. Bougainvillea can look very nice, but it's fast growing and needs regular trimming, most varieties also have rather evil thorns.

Alternatively, get a bigger dog :smile:

• Thanks 1

In our mobaan the houses have a wall that is made of a box like frame made from the grid like rebar they lay into concrete driveways... then they have added the green plastic mesh you find at kamtiem to the back bottom two feet that restricts animals from entering... them they planted hedges inside the rebar box... the hedges fill out the box an grow to about 2 meters... 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Alternatively, get a bigger dog :smile:

Dogs are out of the question because Thais just love to keep 4 dogs in one house and they breed fast but the owners don't want to keep them inside their fence and they roam freely.

That would be like having a party of 100 barking dogs on the street when you are trying to sleep.

I've seen some houses planting small trees to partially block the view of main glass door.  

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Small dogs etc will get under pretty well any hedge and once a pathway is worn it won't grow back.

Best solution? Get some 1" galvanised mesh (not chicken wire I'm thinking of a woven square mesh of 2mm wires) and reinforce the bottom of your existing fence. We got our mesh from Global House, it comes in flat panels (2mx1m IIRC) rather than a roll and looks like this:-

woven_wire_mesh_panels.jpg

Looks like good stuff.  Do you recall the approximate price per 2mx1m panel?

On 4/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, Crossy said:

I went to Global House today and couldn't find any flat panels. This Global House is huge and a serious competitor for Homepro.

I am thinking of buying many of these concrete planter boxes (to form a fence) instead of meshes that I found in another place. But the price is expensive at 300 baht for around 60 cm length as photo below. Are there any other place that sells cheaper?

Plant_Box_White.jpg?v=1517977609

Edited by EricTh

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I went to Global House today and couldn't find any flat panels.

Every Global is different of course, ours (Pathum Thani) has these panels "out back" with the building materials. IIRC they are about 800 Baht for a 1m x 2m panel, not cheap but they will last a long time.

• Thanks 1