Angkor Wat half marathon raises over $100,000 for charitable causes

geovalin

H S Manjunath

Donations to the tune of $116,400 were awarded to charitable causes including several NGOs and children’s hospitals at a simple ceremony at the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia Headquarters on Tuesday by the Marathon Committee through its fundraising efforts at the 2017 Angkor Wat International Half Marathon.

Last December’s 22nd running of the half marathon and other added attractions like the 10km run and 3km fun run shattered all previous records and touched an all-time high of 11,000 runners.

read more https://www.phnompenhpost.com/sport/angkor-wat-half-marathon-raises-over-100000-charitable-causes

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 05/04

I visited Angkor Wat in 2001, and again 6 months ago: One difference: the wall carvings were missing on my recent trip.  Specifically: there are long passageways at the main temple which have amazing 2-dimentional stone carvings which depict battles etc.  Where are they?  Did Hun Sen or his buddies pry those carvings from the walls - to put in their private mansions?  I hope someone proves me wrong, but last time I looked, those walls were just scruffy sub-walls - where the shiny gray sculptures had been.

I can't get excited about a sporting event at Angkor, when I recall there may have been a recent major rip-off there.