Police Propose Higher Speed Limits for Highways and Slower Limits for Urban Areas

snoop1130

Police Propose Higher Speed Limits for Highways and Slower Limits for Urban Areas

by CityNews

red-truck.jpg

CityNews – The Royal Thai Police and the Ministry of Interior are considering increasing speed limits on highways and decreasing speed limits in urban areas which would see the first change in speed limit laws since 1979.

The proposal comes after discussions about how road conditions had significantly improved over the last 37 years. Roads are now more than one or two lanes wide, and road surfaces mean driving at higher speeds is safer than back when the previous law was written.

The current speed limit of 80-90 km/h on highways harks back to a time when highways had only two traffic lanes.

The new proposal would set speed limits on inter-provincial highways with no intersections or crossroads at at maximum of 110 km/h.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/police-propose-higher-speed-limits-highways-slower-limits-urban-areas/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-4-6

Decreasing speed in urban areas - excellent choice....

Increasing speed, no matter on which highway - bad choice .... the 20K road death toll would need to drastically be reduced first....

Use speed guns, radar traps, merciless fines and impound badly maintained vehicles, zero tolerence for any breaking of speed limits or vehicle maintenance, but enforced in a honest way, without extorsion, racket or tea money.....then things (may) change...

France for years, had a miserable death toll record with some of the worst driving patterns in the world....things changed...it took a few good men to drastically tame the french fanggios....licences revoked, jail for drinking, vehicles impouned, hefty fines, radar traps all over including use of helicopters and planes to trap speedsters...all vehicles pulled over were in presence of beat cops but also high level officers, that avoided the temptation to let go or bribes.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, smedly said:

and while you're at it 

how about catching up with the rest of modern Asia (and the world) and allow large motorbikes (600cc up) to use motorways 

You mean tollways? 300 cc should be enough if riding one up.

31 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Speed undoubtedly kills, but the biggest killer is the appalling general standard of driving lack of enforcement of existing laws to reduce the toll of hundreds killed and thousands injured every month on Thai roads.

If I had ten baht for every motorcyclist I see without a helmet, carrying a baby in the crook of an arm, or yakking to his/her mates on a mobile telephone while steering with one hand, I'd be a rich man by now.

Throw in extra dosh for the countless for countless car, bus and lorry drivers I spot who watch movies or make phone calls - often while simultaneously ignoring the speed limit and weaving in and out of lanes, tailgating etc, etc - and I'd probably end up a baht billionaire.

As this madness is going on, police are mostly conspicuous by their absence from the major roads where most of the carnage takes place, except during Songkran and other festivals when the spotlight of publicity is on them.

We need highway patrols - and a lot more of them. Start nabbing and nailing cavalier drivers with stiff fines and the loss of their licences, as is done in countries who take the safety of their citizens more seriously. Then, and only then, we might see Thailand lose its ignominious tag as the most dangerous driving country in the world.

spot on

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

don't agree with that at all

plus you cannot add restrictions like one up

OK maybe there is some confusion over tollways and highways, maybe, just maybe, a 300cc bike should be banned on tollways, but to ban a 300cc bike from highways, ie the carriageway which passes Don Muang Airport and similar

is   WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! and I will argue that till the cows come home.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK maybe there is some confusion over tollways and highways, maybe, just maybe, a 300cc bike should be banned on tollways, but to ban a 300cc bike from highways, ie the carriageway which passes Don Muang Airport and similar

is   WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! and I will argue that till the cows come home.

Tollway Highway are describing the same thing for me

perhaps your definition of a highway in somewhat different to mine - do you have another example, I have only ever been restricted from tollways

Edited by smedly

20 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

When many countries reduce their speed limits for environmental and safety issues. Thailand just does the contrary. What an amazing country.

Higher Speed Limits for Highways and Slower Limits for Urban Areas seems to be reasonable for TH. Who cares other Countrys!?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

go ahead and change it.  what does it matter if not enforced?

I was just about to add that the entire discussion is irrelevant because nobody pays any attention to the speed limits anyway. Your post just a more succinct way to say it, spot on.

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

Tollway Highway are describing the same thing for me

perhaps your definition of a highway in somewhat different to mine - do you have another example, I have only ever been restricted from tollways

Yes, the tollway is where you see the signs Elevated Tollway, the highway is, ie Highway 117 the motorway that runs from Nakhon Sawan to Phitsanulok, and before you ask, a highway and a motorway are the same.

The main road that runs underneath some tollways, is sometimes referred to as a carriageway. That is what I am referring to when I say it is wrong to ban bigger bikes from it.

I don't agree with that rule so I just use these carriageways anyway, I have used them a good few times, and only been stopped once, and that was by a lone policeman, he wanted 1000Bt from me, I told him no and offered him 300Bt, he accepted and shook my hand.

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I think it is a good idea.

90 is too slow a speed limit on motorways and highways, and the current urban area limits are too fast.

Sounds quite sensible to me.

You mean there is actually something sensible in Thailand?  :cheesy:

" The new proposal would set speed limits on inter-provincial highways with no intersections or crossroads at at maximum of 110 km/h. "

translating that to us metrically-challenged.....about 70 mph!

really?  the country with the world's most dangerous roads, and their solution is to RAISE the speed limit?

great.  now i can travel safely knowing the redbull+amphetamine intoxicated driver of the amulet-protected minivan is LEGALLY tailgating at 70 mph.  i fell better now.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You mean there is actually something sensible in Thailand?  :cheesy:

No that's why we dont want the idiotic ways of western countries to surface here

You only need a 1 ltr car over there as i was waiting to see if the push bikes were going to overtake