Coldest April on record??

NormanW

On 4/7/2018 at 11:06 PM, tropo said:

Where were you? I had a wonderful cool season this past December/January. There was even a thread complaining about the cold temperatures. One night it dropped to 18C.

It was 8 degrees at 6am where I am in Kalasin Province. I had to go to a small hospital, and as it got light the large pond outside began 'steaming'. The nurses rushed out to photograph it as they'd never seen something like that before.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It was 8 degrees at 6am where I am in Kalasin Province. I had to go to a small hospital, and as it got light the large pond outside began 'steaming'. The nurses rushed out to photograph it as they'd never seen something like that before.

Was that 8C back in December or January,  or this month?

April can be a few days like this  , but not every year, May on the other hand , no chance for 21 degrees. Unless Tropo have the statistics ready . 

1 minute ago, balo said:

April can be a few days like this  , but not every year, May on the other hand , no chance for 21 degrees. Unless Tropo have the statistics ready . 

LOL> I'll have a look.

Maybe April can have a few days like today, which is pretty much normal other than the lower than normal humidity for this time of year - but I've never experienced an April day like yesterday. Statistics show that it is the lowest April temperature in 2 decades, and that's because they only have stats (on the website I was looking at) going back 2 decades.

We did have an exceptional week back in March 2011 too, so as you say, unusual temperatures do sometimes strike coming up to the hottest months. Incidentally, Pattaya is closest to the sun around April 24 (according to a sun chart), give or take a few days, so we are right in the middle of "summer" so to speak. May averages slightly cooler than April, but that's mainly due to it being a bit more wet on average.

40 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> I'll have a look.

Maybe April can have a few days like today, which is pretty much normal other than the lower than normal humidity for this time of year - but I've never experienced an April day like yesterday. Statistics show that it is the lowest April temperature in 2 decades, and that's because they only have stats (on the website I was looking at) going back 2 decades.

We did have an exceptional week back in March 2011 too, so as you say, unusual temperatures do sometimes strike coming up to the hottest months. Incidentally, Pattaya is closest to the sun around April 24 (according to a sun chart), give or take a few days, so we are right in the middle of "summer" so to speak. May averages slightly cooler than April, but that's mainly due to it being a bit more wet on average.

2011 was the year the rain came early and didn't stop. My nephew came over from Canada in the October and we couldn't take him into Bangkok because of the flooding.

We are in Chonburi city and this year is certainly the most unusual I have ever seen. Two years ago I laid pipes all around the garden for a sprinkler system and I have yet to use it.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2018 at 11:06 PM, tropo said:

Where were you? I had a wonderful cool season this past December/January. There was even a thread complaining about the cold temperatures. One night it dropped to 18C.

Everything just depends on your location.

Simply the further north you live in the cool season the lower the night temperatures 

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

Everything just depends on your location.

Simply the further north you live in the cool season the lower the night temperatures 

Of course it depends on your location. This is the Pattaya forum so ALL my posts here are relating to Pattaya, not far from the weather stations.

East inland and up north you'll get higher highs and lower lows but at lower humidity too, which changes the feel. The sea moderates the climate to a large degree, but unless we get northeasterly or easterly winds the humidity is high.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 12:03 PM, KittenKong said:

It makes up for the cool season we didnt have.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:06 PM, tropo said:

Really...as Troop queried...where r u KK? Had some beautiful cool temps in BKK past Dec/Jan. Even first week of Feb was too cool for us swimming...for us anyway...and we were in Patts!

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Based on historical BKK weather data found online...had the coolest (or tied) the all-time April low temp here day before yesterday. 22 C...72 F...was the previous record low for April, which tied in my area, but do believe the official weather station recorded lower. 

Edited by Skeptic7

So Good to hear that April was cool to some, heck it even got up to 10c

today here 15 hours flying from Bangkok, in Canada!

I had 6 weeks of great weather in Thailand and was glad to get back to

the colder temps of Canada, but hope to be in good enough health to

go back to Thailand next year.

Geezer

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Based on historical BKK weather data found online...had the coolest (or tied) the all-time April low temp here day before yesterday. 22 C...72 F...was the previous record low for April, which tied in my area, but do believe the official weather station recorded lower. 

It was a pleasant respite, but unfortunately, we're back to typical April temperatures again. I managed two very comfortable nights without aircon and probably saved a massive 60 or so baht on electricity. One thing is never going to change - April will always be the hottest month of the year.

23 hours ago, tropo said:

It was a pleasant respite, but unfortunately, we're back to typical April temperatures again. I managed two very comfortable nights without aircon and probably saved a massive 60 or so baht on electricity. One thing is never going to change - April will always be the hottest month of the year.

My electricity bills for Feb and Mar this year are around 12% down on the same 2 months last year. Every indication that April will be down as well. But you are right the mercury is heading north again.

Would have been a quiet Songkran had it been last weekend.

19 minutes ago, johng said:

Remember a few years ago it rained on the 19th and everyone went home early...maybe they didn't want to get wet ! emoji1.png

I remember it raining on the April 18, 2006 and it was business as usual. I remember that day as it was my first Songkran experience in Pattaya.

Well, I'm sure anyone complaining about the cold last weekend has thawed out by now LOL. 28C minimum tonight at 85% humidity and not a breath of wind. The record low for this day is 23C in 1997. The average low is 26C. It's perfect Songkran weather.

For anyone complaining about the cold last weekend, I did my annual Songkran Exodus and landed in New York City on Tuesday at noon to 3°C temps!  Today's 15° C seemed balmy in comparison.  (Last year, same dates, it was in the 20's and 30's.)