Thailand to China through Laos

Gumnut

Drove up to the border above Meung Sing, awhile ago, ( Ban Pak Khong), and asked if  could go into China, Yes, as long as u have  a Chinese visa, ( can get in Vientiane or Luang Namtha) and than travel up to Kunming.

Not sure about comfort, they looked like Old bus's

I was up that way the other week, on a bike. If I was returning with the wife then i would fly Luang Prabang and then get a bus to Boten.

The road from Vang Vienna to LP is horrid, although they say it’s pucturesque .. the road from LP to Udomxai is perfect and much nicer.

When you enter China you should be in Yunnan, Never been buy Pua is tea country.

About 24 hours to kunming. It's an overcrowded, nothing of a place. Only reason to go that far is if you want to go to the Thai consulate. Better to fly from Chiang Rai city if that's the plan.

Jing Hong is about 8 hours. That area has a lot to offer. The people are similar to Northern Thais not like the Chinese I meet in airports.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have seen it and been on the plane doing it more than once back in 80's. Continental Airlines did it back then and perhaps others.

1 minute ago, The manic said:

so drive from Santa to haiku.or you can fly there too but a bit more .money 

Thanks I will look into it

As of a few months ago, you could buy a bus ticket Chiang Rai-Kunming direct, not sure if that requires a change of buses or not. I saw a Lao bus there going to 'Bor Kaew' but not sure if it's that bus or not. I hope not, as it didn't look so good, assume there's a better one for long-distance...

I did that route back in the old days when the road Huay Xai-Luang Namtha was in terrible shape, bus (truck, actually) every other day, no fun with hemorrhoids, as I was airborne much of the time, dragged the truck through mud more than once. JingHong (Chiang Rung) was just starting its modernization then, 20 years ago, the good old days, hope to go back soon. Yes, that bottom corner of China used to be part of old Lanna, Phasaa Lao or Kam Meuang probably work just fine in the countryside... 

• Like 1