How family friendly is Khaosan Road area?

I hear varying thoughts about the Khaosan Road area.

I'm going to be traveling with a wife and pre-teen kid. I've found accommodations that work well for us in terms of size, etc. However, it's right off (within a block or so) of Khaosan road.

I hear differing thought about the area. Some seem to say it's sketchy and sort of grubby (not physically, but more emotionally :) )

Others say it's a unique place but not that bad.

I don't want:

Tons of drunken tourists.

Bar girl scene.

Unsafe.

Can I stay in the area and avoid some of the more unsavory parts of the "Khaosan experience" or is that just part of the deal?

• Haha 2

I haven't been there since 2001 but if it's still even similar, give it a miss !!

There are plenty of nice areas in Bangkok to stay, transport is good so you can get to the sites you want to see easily.

In fact public transport is one of the best adventures in Bangkok :)

I would look at staying at least 2km from Khao San Rd... 

Thanks for the reply. The only issue I should have mentioned is that (for work reasons) I need to be in the Grand Palace area every day. My second choice of locations is in Siam near some of the malls. I hear transportation to the Grand Palace area can be a mess due to the lack of any public transportation options. Does that change your opinion at all, or do you still recommend giving it a miss?!

9 minutes ago, SpeedChampion said:

Thanks for the reply. The only issue I should have mentioned is that (for work reasons) I need to be in the Grand Palace area every day. My second choice of locations is in Siam near some of the malls. I hear transportation to the Grand Palace area can be a mess due to the lack of any public transportation options. Does that change your opinion at all, or do you still recommend giving it a miss?!

Maybe look at the river as a transport option... You can stay upstream, downstream or across stream from Grand Palace and just jump on a boat each day to access that area.. China Town is just a couple boat stops down stream !!

Like I said, not been to KSR since 2001, probably only got worse since then :)

Edited by cornishcarlos

On 8.4.2018 at 5:06 AM, SpeedChampion said:

Tons of drunken tourists.

Bar girl scene.

Unsafe.

Megatons of young drunken tourists.

Cocktails from the 3 liter bucket.

Loud, crowded, techno party style.

Bar girl scene: no.

Unsafe: not worse than elsewhere. Safer than Pattaya.

But tuk tuk scammers etc. to the max.

Like from the guidebook.

Pickpockets are everywhere not only in KSR.

A bit off from KSR at some Klong I saw big warning signs about bag snatching with motorbike.

Again, not only KSR.

On the other hand: one road off from KSR: Rambuttri rd.

Fairly civilized, safe walking, some nice food and drink places.

Again "around the corner", Ratchadamnoen rd. and further on from there:

One side is fancy, stylish places.

The other side, dirty abandoned buildings, homeless lying in the corner, street prostitution of the worst case.

It's all very close.

I was persuaded to go there last year.

Once and not again.

Just not for me (I am over 60).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 8.4.2018 at 6:30 AM, SpeedChampion said:

The only issue I should have mentioned is that (for work reasons) I need to be in the Grand Palace area every day.

If you learn to handle the tuk tuk drivers and talk them down to fair prices you can use them. It's indeed only a few minutes.

I was there during the mourning period for King Bhumipol and walked over.

A sweaty undertaking.

You can avoid the madness if staying at the right place around KSR.

But this is more for the Bangkok experts.

I find Khaosan Rd too much but Rambuttri is nice if you stay down the bottom end closer to the river and I'm sure safe for children. I usually stay at the Rambuttri Inn which is wuite cheap with a swimming pool. No sleaze-or none that I could find. There are lots of young tourists but also older people and the road at the bottom end is blocked off from most traffic so safe for children. If you want to go to the palace a short walk takes you to the Chao Phraya Express riverboat. I think it is 15b to the palace by boat and takes around 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Mainly Khao Sarn rd itself ( which is short) is busier at night with the bars being popular after 10 or 11 pm. If you go 2 blocks away it’s quiet and it’s also safe. You can get buses, tuk tuks and taxis easily off Khao Sarn. There  are not girly/whore bars there either which is what you asked about.  It’s a good shopping street during the day as well. After songkran it gets very quiet. Most posters on here have not even been there in a long time ( hence the first poster boasting about his visit in 2001 lol!!) The water Taxi to Rachatewi and Siam areas is close by as well . Also famous tourist sites and it’s convenient to where YOU need to be. Since mainly old people post here I would not take some of the advise. Your pre teen will also find a lot of cool stuff to buy on Khao Sarn as well.  If I were you I would even take my kid out to Khao Sarn Rd one evening that you are here and judge for yourself. You should come back and tell us how it was and I bet the words interesting and uneventful may show up in your post. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 2

When you need to be in the area of the Grand Palace every day, I would recommend Rambuttri - as Chrisdoc already suggested.

Rambuttri road goes over in KhaoSan Road, but it's less overcrowded and I find it friendlier.  On the end of Rambuttri road (most far away from Khao San) it's not crowded and you don't have night-life noises.  And interesting for you, that's very close to the Grand Palace > a pleasant walk via Phra Athit through the Thamassin University grounds and you are almost there.

When I am in Bangkok I always stay there, as many nice places of Rattakosin (the 'old' Bangkok) are within walking distance.  The National Museum, the amulet- and buddha-market, etc.

Hotel tip > You could check out the New Siam Palace Hotel, it has a nice swimming pool and their clean aircon double rooms are 1350 Bath a night (breakfast included),  Note: There are several New Siam Hotels in the Rambuttri area, but the New Siam Palace Hotel is not only the best, but also the cheapest AND it is located at the very end of Rambuttri (so closest to Grand Palace, and no night-life noise).

Enjoy your stay in Bangkok!

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

hence the first poster boasting about his visit in 2001 lol!!

Boasting !! I was making a point of the fact that it's been 16yrs, so my info might not be accurate... 

Try to help someone out and that's the kind of comments it generates :)

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, Chrisdoc said:

I find Khaosan Rd too much but Rambuttri is nice if you stay down the bottom end closer to the river and I'm sure safe for children. I usually stay at the Rambuttri Inn which is wuite cheap with a swimming pool. No sleaze-or none that I could find. There are lots of young tourists but also older people and the road at the bottom end is blocked off from most traffic so safe for children. If you want to go to the palace a short walk takes you to the Chao Phraya Express riverboat. I think it is 15b to the palace by boat and takes around 10 minutes.

Right on...  I have stayed at the Rambutrie Inn many times over the last 10 years.. always good.. many good restaurants along Soi Rambutrie and Rambutrie Road (across the main rd from Soi Rambutrie)...  the Chao Phraya Express boat is a great way to get around and see the river life.. and very cheap.. as you mention.. it can drop you off at the Grand Palace.. Good too if you want to go into the center of the city... take the boat down to Taksin Bridge and get on the BTS there.. into the city for 30Bt..   There is also a nice park by the river just up from where you catch the river boat... good in the evenings with a few buskers and often some music.. I would say the area is totally family friendly and safe..  Khao San Rd can get a bit rowdy in the evening but no need to go there.. a walk down Khao San during the day would be ok too..  I often see families in the area enjoying themselves.. 

It's full of middle class kids on gap year tours. It a PC safe space. I lived there in the late 80s when it was great. Your young daughter will love it. It's great for shopping and music and fashion and pseudo street life. All the romance of travel without the risk. It's been pedestrianised now. It's a Butlins for backpackers.

Is this the only part of BKK you know? You want to stay along the route of the skytrain so you do not have to take a taxi all over the place. Try staying along Sukumvit down to Siam or Silom.

I like Sukumvit and Silom is amusing but I don't know if either could be described as family friendly.

khao san road is a perfectly safe place to go, it's pretty much a walking market street in the day time, in the early evening it's more noisy and busy but no drunken behaviour, anti-social behaviour. there may be drunks around after 11pm but easy to avoid.

the parallel road 'soi rambutree' is in two sections dissected by the main road and is a preferable place to spend the evening; quieter, cheaper and better restaurants than KSR.

there is also a small, pleasant park five minutes away near the river on phra atit road.

the banglampu area is great for temples, some surviving traditional old buildings and markets. there are accommodation options to suit all pockets.

just stay away from tuktuk drivers.

i live five minutes from KSR, if you need any specific information PM me.

• Like 1

• iv'e been staying in  Kao San area on and off  for years now , never had a problem , definitely stay up the Rambuttri , Prah Atit side nearer the river , the area has everything that most people would require for a short -ish stay, there are no real girlie bars as such , a couple of noisy bars half way down Kao san road but well behaved for the most , pretty good street food , lots of restaurants, shops, local supermarket, coffee shops , bakeries  and morning and evening markets , the Tuk- Tuks can sometimes be a bit of a pain and so too some taxis , ( but really no more so than anywhere else in the city)my rule of thumb is dont approach the ones parked up , with taxis insist on the meter and ask your hotel about Tuk- Tuk prices until you get the hang of it ; with the Siam group iv'e found that once you have a booking you can basically just stay and pay a day at a time , if you find its' not to your liking you can move on, but i would give it a go i think  your wife and child will thank you for it
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jhonnie said:
  • iv'e been staying in  Kao San area on and off  for years now , never had a problem , definitely stay up the Rambuttri , Prah Atit side nearer the river , the area has everything that most people would require for a short -ish stay, there are no real girlie bars as such , a couple of noisy bars half way down Kao san road but well behaved for the most , pretty good street food , lots of restaurants, shops, local supermarket, coffee shops , bakeries  and morning and evening markets , the Tuk- Tuks can sometimes be a bit of a pain and so too some taxis , ( but really no more so than anywhere else in the city)my rule of thumb is dont approach the ones parked up , with taxis insist on the meter and ask your hotel about Tuk- Tuk prices until you get the hang of it ; with the Siam group iv'e found that once you have a booking you can basically just stay and pay a day at a time , if you find its' not to your liking you can move on, but i would give it a go i think  your wife and child will thank you for it

That has been my experience over many visits as well..  I never take one of the taxis that hang around the guest houses.. always flag one down on the main road and as you say ask for meter.. 'no meter.. no ride'.. but my feeling is that taxi drivers work hard for their money.. driving all day in Bangkok traffic.. so I generally give a tip if they don't mess me around.   ...I tip the chamber maids as well.. they work hard for very little and have families to support.. 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, KhunBENQ said:

learn to handle the tuk tuk drivers

I've found if you find a reasonable driver, get his card and let him know that you'll be there for a while, it saves time and aggravation from having to negotiate time and again. A lot of tuk tuk and taxi drivers will seem reasonable, but will try to shunt you to "shopping" trips to buy shabby suits or fake jewelry, so it helps to establish a relationship with a driver. I wish I saved the name of the chap I had used several times last year when I visited Khao San Road.

I was at Khao San Road last year, didn't have the same vibe like in years past, its more commercialized, with the ladies making Pad Thai missing from their push carts, that used to be everywhere.

As for drunken tourists, the crowd is mostly young people and backpackers, yet, there isn't like drunk hard core types, so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Soi Rambutri is more quiet than Khao San Road. I always end up staying and eating shakshuka at the Green House on Soi Rambutri.

Bar girls aren't common in this area, so its safe from that standpoint

Edited by elnet1
To add additional information
  • Like 1

The hardest thing for the OP to cope with will be when the pre-teen kid will want to have fun here and there in KhSan Rd,  without the parents:whistling: - that obviously will be impossible - and back in the hotel the kid will make life hell, or sulk for the rest of the trip......:cheesy:

...my advice, don't take the kid there ...yet !

Edited by observer90210
  • Confused 2

On 4/15/2018 at 12:15 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Boasting !! I was making a point of the fact that it's been 16yrs, so my info might not be accurate... 

Try to help someone out and that's the kind of comments it generates :)

It could have been 10 times worse. Hope you have read the thread now and hope you don’t give advice from 17 years ago that is completely irrelevant. As you can read there is no such need to stay “at least 2k away” at all!! I mean really 2001! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

It could have been 10 times worse. Hope you have read the thread now and hope you don’t give advice from 17 years ago that is completely irrelevant. As you can read there is no such need to stay “at least 2k away” at all!! I mean really 2001! 

Well since you said that, I'm gonna follow every topic you're posting in and add totally useless info, just because I can... 

My advice also included using the river to access the area as an option, still valid advice even 17 yrs later :)