Measures enacted to control foreigners living in Sihanoukville

geovalin

The Preah Sihanouk provincial governor said yesterday that provincial authorities and the police have issued strict measures to control foreigners, including the recent influx of Chinese, to protect the security of the province. Provincial Governor Yun Min told local media before leaving the country for China’s Hainan province that provincial authorities and security forces had issued strict measures to control the presence of foreigners living in Sihanoukville.

He added that authorities used the law to control them, while the presence of foreign investors and Chinese business people helped promote the economy and create jobs for people in the province. “It’s not only the Chinese, but Americans and French. If more come, it will bring more money but also more problems. Importantly, we have to learn what the benefits are to our society,” Mr Min said.

“Any foreigner who makes a serious mistake, we will punish them accordingly. We will educate those who can be educated. So, the statement saying that with more Chinese coming, the province will have more problems, I think it’s not a big issue.” Chuon Narin, police chief of Preah Sihanouk province, also said that police have paid high attention and issued many measures to protect the security and safety of citizens and investors, both Cambodians and foreigners, without discrimination.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50300653/measures-enacted-to-control-foreigners-living-in-sihanoukville/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 09/04

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Was staying at a nice guest house there a few years ago.  The "security guard" stole valuables out of one of the rooms.  He was caught on camera.  When the western owners tried to prosecute him, the police refused to charge him.  This "security guard" did not even lose his job.   He was just transfered.  The law seems to be open to interpretation.    During my time in Snooky, I found that the police to be unproblematic.  They allowed the fun and did not hassle anyone.   

Wasn't there a hotline in Cambodia to deal with pesky police officers ? 

lol

Oh Good,  Glad I read this Cambodia story.  My friend had his camera, wallet and

passport stolen out of his 4 star hotel In Cambodia.  Another place I will not visit.

Think I would rather take a chance in Burma first.

Geezer

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Oh Good,  Glad I read this Cambodia story.  My friend had his camera, wallet and

passport stolen out of his 4 star hotel In Cambodia.  Another place I will not visit.

Think I would rather take a chance in Burma first.

Geezer

I must disagree with you.  I is a wonderful country.  I love spending time there.  There is always a party to go to and it is inviting.   The capital is not that great, but the rest of the country is fine.  Siem Reap is the best, but the food is a bit dull.  Unlike Burma, Cambodia was a refuge for Muslims.  The Cham fled Vietnam and have lived in peace ever since.  The country has problems, but those should not overshadow its good points. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

“Any foreigner who makes a serious mistake, we will punish them accordingly. We will educate those who can be educated.

Thailand finally made it to the educational HUB. Congrats!! 

i dont even understand what this means, especially given the story has absolutely nothing to do with thailand.

sure you have the right thread?

• Like 1

Only one month in Phnom Penh. Loved the neighborhood I was in. Even had one shop owner close down so he could take me to a market on his motorbike to buy something he didn't have (Diet Coke). Then he took me back to my hotel - no charge. No 7-Eleven on every corner like Thailand. 

On 10/04/2018 at 11:43 AM, yellowboat said:

I must disagree with you.  I is a wonderful country.  I love spending time there.  There is always a party to go to and it is inviting.   The capital is not that great, but the rest of the country is fine.  Siem Reap is the best, but the food is a bit dull.  Unlike Burma, Cambodia was a refuge for Muslims.  The Cham fled Vietnam and have lived in peace ever since.  The country has problems, but those should not overshadow its good points. 

If you found the food dull in Siem Reap next time look for the classy restaurant that has landmine burgers on the menu. 

• Haha 1