Ford Everest v Toyota Fortuna

Macnick

I have owned a few Toyota Hilux Vigos over the last 10 years and time has arrived that I need a boot.

I am deciding between the Ford Everest 3.2L Titanium 4x4 and the Toyota Fortuna 2.8V 4x4.

Would appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons of each from owners.

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Were you happy with the Vigo's, did you have any problems with them...?

How long do you keep each ride...?

First one for 8 years, second one 5 years.

I love the Vigo, as long as keep them serviced they just keep going.

Never had any major problems, just the odd small issue here and there.

5 minutes ago, Macnick said:

First one for 8 years, second one 5 years.

I love the Vigo, as long as keep them serviced they just keep going.

Never had any major problems, just the odd small issue here and there.

That's cool...Reliability is a major factor for me. If one changes their ride every couple of years then go for anything that takes your fancy, but if you want a ride that does the job with reliability then think that is a major factor..If I had the cash I would buy this to replace my Vigo 4x4 auto....

revo.jpg.4ee7aa5422426cb55194c02ba23d77e6.jpg

• Like 1

I have a Ford Everest 3.2L 4x4, and live in Bangkok. I love it. It's heavy on fuel, but it's got a 3.2L engine. Driving out of town, you can get 10-12km/litre, but in town it can go as low as 5km/litre. It's a great car in every way - and regarding service, I just got a letter in the post today telling me to come in for a software update to the Power Control Module. So far, they seem to be doing just fine.

Prior to this, I had the Ford Ranger with the same engine - the Wildtrak 3.2, and that was a terrific truck. Definitely swayed me in my decision when I was deciding what to upgrade to.

• Like 2

Have the Everest 3.2 (MY15)... really like it. As said above a bit thirsty but I don't care.

Our Ford dealership is good ... but I read some are not. Stick with Toyota if you have any concerns ... don't worry about buyers remorse...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have Fortuner TRD (2017 model), no issues so far.

The 3rd row of seats are a bit of an eyesore and take up a fair bit of space, i have them removed from my vehicle.

JBL speakers / Satnav / bluetooth etc very good.

No complaints.

• Like 2

Have a 2018 Everest 3.2 and love everything about it.  It is a much smoother and quieter ride than my Toyota 3.0 truck.

Find a Toyota and Ford dealer that will let you test drive them and then decide which one you like best. 

• Like 1

We have a Fortuner and are very happy with it. As a long time owner of Toyota vehicles, the choice was an easy one for us.

We went with a two wheel drive. After three years of ownership I have yet to see any necessity for a four wheel drive.

My only issue is that I wish it had more of the safety features that are pretty much standard in the US - proximity, rear view mirror, and lane wandering warnings, auto braking and a cruise control that automatically maintains a safe distance with the vehicle in front of us.

• Like 1

Fortuna is a Vigo with added cab, Everest is a true SUV, not derived from the Ranger.

Read the reviews from the car magazines, they all list Everest as the best choice, particularly with all the extra safety items.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Fortuna is a Vigo with added cab, Everest is a true SUV, not derived from the Ranger.

Read the reviews from the car magazines, they all list Everest as the best choice, particularly with all the extra safety items.

The Everest ride and NVH are very good for a PPV and it is a good choice.  It is classed as a PPV because it uses a lot of Ranger components.  Not being "derived" from the Ranger is a matter of opinion.    

There is nothing wrong with deriving an SUV from a pickup, particularly if a heavier duty SUV is required.  The car based SUV's or CUV's like the CX-5 drive like cars which suit some.  The PPV's drive more like pickups and suit others.  Resale value has been better for PPV's because they have been easier and cheaper to maintain in the long term.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

Ah, another who believes what they write in car magazines. Don't you know motoring journalists are wined and dined by vehicle manufacturers so they will say nice things?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

No it's not...Fortuner is shorter and has coil spring suspension..Plus the Vigo is now history..

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Not an owner of either vehicle. However, I loved my ooolddd 86??Toyota Starlet. I purchased it used from a graduating student at my university $100 the girl drank & drove often so there were a number of small dents. Had a one barrel carb 5speed gearbox and rear wheel drive. Had about 80,000 miles on it when I bought it, I drove it from AZ to WI then to Chicago then back. Slow, but burned no oil. I replaced the starter once and disk pads 2 times. Easy do it yourself. Had over 200,000 miles on it when I was forced to retire it. I swear by Toyota dependability!!!

I replaced it with a 96 Ford Exploder XLT 4wd nicest ford I ever owned at 210,000 miles I Had to replace my 3d transmission at over $2000 each. I gave it to the transmission shop. The engine was great but the electronics started going goofy and could not find anyone reliable to fix it. The dealer said no guarantees. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck

5 hours ago, coxo said:

Easy forget both of them and get a Mazda CX5 Diesel.

This is quite a bit smaller though, and only the 4wd has the full safety kit - and that is priced well over 1.7M baht. It goes very well though, esp in 2wd format. There should be a cx-8 coming out later. That would be worth a look, as it is larger and has a nicer second row of seats. Of course, these ride much better than the ladder frame based suv's. 

• Like 1

have had and driven in many fortuners and vigos.

so based on a mix of rented and owend

My impression is about them they all had the same problems.

breaks, steering, engine (diesel) airco.

One car had an aircon failure and that became a huge problem because  of the car stopped working. 

no ventilation no power windows nothing on the dashboard worked

the car was 3 years old and the needed spare parts where not available as geuine parts.

3 years old car wow.

many cars had breaks that became fluid in the mountains and did apply the recommended way of breaking. Let speed go up to a set limit then break down to the lower set limit and let the speed come up the the higher set limit to start breaking again .

The cars are 8 fortuners and 12 vigos. 

I have driven in two Ford everest and the ford are in overall better beside  also in the value for money too

switched to another brand.

And doubt if it is my driving style.I do have driven really and off terrain for many years professionally as well did test drive cars.

Utter nonsense.

The Everest is far better riding than the Fortuna, but so is the Ranger compared to the Vigo.

Both are derivatives of their pickups.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Fortuner here and having no problems. Main downside, at least compared to the mux, is the noise of the engine. 

Personally i would never go for the everest because they refused to give their customers with gearbox problems (with the eco sport) any solution and service in general sucks. Check the ratings for service points in your neighborhood and shiver. A car needs service and that is many times better arranged with toyota in thailand.

• Like 1

Toyota isn't noisy, in fact it's so quiet it's like driving a petrol lump. Provided you go for the bigger engine, top of the range in both they are much the same. With one exception Ford as others have said uses more fuel than Tuna 10/12 against 15/16 KM per LT for the Tuna on run. Around town 5/6 Everest, Tuna in excess of 10 "in Eco mode". In sports mode the fuel drops in town but why would you want sports mode around town. If fuel isn't a problem, it's all down to looks if you like the Ford go for it, likewise the Tuna. Have a test drive in both.

I did find in my Tuna that the comp: was not to easy to use at first. Bit of a bugger to set up Sat Nav: also Blue tooth. Operator error I don't do books. Phoned Toyo they sent a man 350 km to show me how to work it. Easy once you know.

Someone said that they have never used 4x4. I have used my one 4 times in less than a year. Flooded roads an all occasions.

Service stations seem to be more readily available for the Toyo as well. Other than that swings and roundabouts.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

I have a 2017 Everest 4x4, .previously had 2014 Fortuner.  Hands down Everest is by far a better choice.

Far more features on the Everest, especially like the power driven fold down 3rd row seat.  Cannot believe Fortuner still has the hoaky tie system, so much wasted space in the cargo area.  So far have received excellent service from Ford here in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I have Fortuner TRD (2017 model), no issues so far.

The 3rd row of seats are a bit of an eyesore and take up a fair bit of space, i have them removed from my vehicle.

JBL speakers / Satnav / bluetooth etc very good.

No complaints.

Have to agree about the rear seats which fold to the side and that is putting me off the Fortuner but apart from that the car drives well ( a friend has a 2 year old Fortuner with manual 6 speed gearbox and turbo switch which is a real boost and would not want anything faster ) but even he gets annoyed with the rear seats and may have them removed . I have looked at the Pajero Sport & the Chevrolet Trailblazer Z71 , 1.42 Baht & 1.49 baht respectively . Have to say the Chev has appealing looks , can lay all the seats flat for huge cargo space and the car can be started from outside with the key fob and the aircon working so as you can enter the car at a comfortable temperature . Pajero Sport does not have that but not sure about the Everest . A reliable company in your area with state of the art workshop would be a prime consideration . Finally , what colour do you like ?

5 hours ago, mav000 said:

I have a 2017 Everest 4x4, .previously had 2014 Fortuner.  Hands down Everest is by far a better choice.

Far more features on the Everest, especially like the power driven fold down 3rd row seat.  Cannot believe Fortuner still has the hoaky tie system, so much wasted space in the cargo area.  So far have received excellent service from Ford here in Chiang Mai.

How can you compare a 2017 Everest against a 2014 old model Tuna. Yes it has electric fold down rear seats. How many times have you used them, gimmick if you ask me. And where do the seats go into the floor. And that doesn't use up useable space? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

I've had a top-of-the range Fortuner 3.0L diesel 4WD Sportivo TRD since 2012.  Cost me THB1.5 million, and I sold it this afternoon (to a dealer) for THB800k.  Not bad for five and a half years of stress- and problem-free (and enjoyable) motoring.

Yesterday, looked at three top-of-the-range diesel full size SUVs: Pajero GT-Premium 8AT 4WD; Everest 3.2 Titanium 4x4AT; Fortuner 2.8 TRD Spotrivo 4WD AT.    All have improved incomparably from what the pick-up-based SUVs were 6 years ago!  I like the look of the Pajero best, but think the Everest probably pips it for specs and all-round capability.  Fortuner comes third. But I honestly think you could be happy with any of these -- it's a matter of looking at the specs, choosing what's important to you + plus the look you prefer.  If resale value is important to you, I would think the Toyota would win.

We then went on to look at the Mazda CX-5 XDL and Honda CRV DT-EL 4WD-- both top of the range diesel models.  I could happily go for either of them, and we decided to have a change from the full-size truck-based jobs.  Plumped for the CRV in the end -- sings quality inside and out, and with the newish 1.6L turbo-diesel, sport mode and paddle shifts, a lot more fun (and responsive) to drive than the previous incarnations.  Placed the order this morning. 

Did you drive either of the cr-v or the cx-5? The cx-5 is faster but the cr-v has more space. Depends on priorities I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fredob43 said:

How can you compare a 2017 Everest against a 2014 old model Tuna. Yes it has electric fold down rear seats. How many times have you used them, gimmick if you ask me. And where do the seats go into the floor. And that doesn't use up useable space? 

Rear seat lies down flat in the floor and you are saying that impacts useable space?  I use the folding seats quite often- shopping/pets.  Lastly,  when I go to purchase a new car, I compare models of the same year.  I only stated I owned the Tuna prior to purchasing the new Everest, never said I was comparing my 2014.  Did compare 2017 of each model, and test drove, by far Everest was our favorite.  I like all the "gimmicks" on the Everest.

15 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

I've had a top-of-the range Fortuner 3.0L diesel 4WD Sportivo TRD since 2012.  Cost me THB1.5 million, and I sold it this afternoon (to a dealer) for THB800k.  Not bad for five and a half years of stress- and problem-free (and enjoyable) motoring.

Yesterday, looked at three top-of-the-range diesel full size SUVs: Pajero GT-Premium 8AT 4WD; Everest 3.2 Titanium 4x4AT; Fortuner 2.8 TRD Spotrivo 4WD AT.    All have improved incomparably from what the pick-up-based SUVs were 6 years ago!  I like the look of the Pajero best, but think the Everest probably pips it for specs and all-round capability.  Fortuner comes third. But I honestly think you could be happy with any of these -- it's a matter of looking at the specs, choosing what's important to you + plus the look you prefer.  If resale value is important to you, I would think the Toyota would win.

We then went on to look at the Mazda CX-5 XDL and Honda CRV DT-EL 4WD-- both top of the range diesel models.  I could happily go for either of them, and we decided to have a change from the full-size truck-based jobs.  Plumped for the CRV in the end -- sings quality inside and out, and with the newish 1.6L turbo-diesel, sport mode and paddle shifts, a lot more fun (and responsive) to drive than the previous incarnations.  Placed the order this morning. 

Did you ever consider the Chevrolet Trailblazer z71 which has some good features and looks or the Isuzu MU-X . Interested to hear your opinion