Will Songkran mean closure of Thai consulate in Vientiane at all?

I have booked a flight to visit the Thai Embassy in Canberra for Monday the 16th of April based on this list posted on their website, now im a little worried that it may be closed .dosent mention Monday the 16th  but no worry it will be my probwem, Fawang silly.

Royal Thai Embassy Canberra OFFICIAL HOLIDAYS 2018

Monday

2 April 2018    Easter Monday

Friday

13 April 2018    Songkran Festival 

Wednesday

25 April 2018    ANZAC Day

9 hours ago, wozza said:

For peace of mind i have changed my ticket to the following Tuesday.

Probably for no reason. Embassies and official consulates do not strictly go by Thailand official holidays. They have to balance them out with local holidays as well. An example of that is the Australian holidays shown in your post.

In the case of Laos it is also a holiday there.

• Like 1

in my experience embassies and consulates close for public holidays in the countries they are situated as well as those in their homeland. and why not?!

songkran is celebrated in laos. i was there a few years ago and it was a much more civilised affair than in thailand with water throwing taking place in the afternoon allowing people to go about their normal holiday relaxation and pleasure in the morning and go out for a relaxing dinner in the evening without some idiot throwing water at you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paulinho said:

Lucky I asked

Thanks ubonjoe. 

So is it closed on 16th or until? 

I. E can I go on Monday day? 

Thanks 

Aside from the fact that is brutally obvious they would be closed can you not check the calendar on their website yourself? UJ has plenty to do without these calendar questions every day. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Najinsky said:

Savannakhet, Thai Consulate is closed same.

Got my application in today, pickup tomorrow, just avoided a four day enforced stopover! Assuming I actually get the visa tomorrow 

Did you ask them? Vientianne is closed tomorrow according to UbonJoe so maybe Savannakhet is closed also?

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Aside from the fact that is brutally obvious they would be closed can you not check the calendar on their website yourself? UJ has plenty to do without these calendar questions every day. 

It must be Love !   :laugh:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, samsensam said:

in my experience embassies and consulates close for public holidays in the countries they are situated as well as those in their homeland. and why not?!

songkran is celebrated in laos. i was there a few years ago and it was a much more civilised affair than in thailand with water throwing taking place in the afternoon allowing people to go about their normal holiday relaxation and pleasure in the morning and go out for a relaxing dinner in the evening without some idiot throwing water at you.

Probably due to the fact that the Laotians lack the repressed aggression of the Thais ,that comes to the fore especially during any drunken revelry that Songkran in Thailand is.Much gentler people over in Laos.

8 minutes ago, ccwhatley said:

The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane website says they are closed 13, 14, 15, 16.... open 17th.

ThaiVisaService, who will know as they run trips there, have put this on their website, April: no trip on Tue 10th as Thu 12th announced as additional holiday

30 minutes ago, ccwhatley said:

The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane website says they are closed 13, 14, 15, 16.... open 17th.

They did not change their calendar when the 12th was added as a holiday on February 27th. A visa run company was informed that they would be closed on the 12th. Not the first time they closed for a added holiday with no announcement.

Thai consulates around Australia are closed Friday and Monday yet the Embassy has only listed Friday as a holiday ,

Email just came in from the Embassy that they are open on Monday, correct again UJ, changing the ticket was insurance for me, being in Canberra unnecessarily for a day would be boring , turned out better actually, Qantas gave me an upgrade for no extra costs.

22 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Did you ask them? Vientianne is closed tomorrow according to UbonJoe so maybe Savannakhet is closed also?

They list office hours here

http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/savannakhet/th/consulate/officehours/

There was also a sign on the wall listing the April holidays when they are closed.

They also gave me the collection ticket and said pick up tomorrow.

But I’ll know for certain in a few hours when I go to collect the visa!

Edited by Najinsky