VCOMP100.DLL missing

Maybole

I get the message " Program cannot start because VCOMP100.Dll is missing" every time I start my computer. If I click on th OK button the panel, the message  disappears and the browser etc will start and function normally. A trawl through Google finds a number of sites offering a download to fix the problem for a fee.

I feel that there must be a simpler solution, would an expert please advise me

One of your startup programs was incompletely installed. That .dll is part of the M'soft's Visual Studio 2010 runtime. You'll need install (reinstall) it. Install both unless you're running an x86 system:

Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Download: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Done that many times. No problem at all. The problem is believing all scary things people write all the time. That´s my opinion, and I already know that you don´t share that.

But it's not a matter of believing anything scary, though that may be a convenient assumption. A comprehensive fix using official sources is simply a superior solution to adopt--if one knows how to do so--for exactly the practical reasons given in the article cited. I'd only download a .dll if I didn't couldn't figure out the real problem and didn't know what else to do.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Done that many times. No problem at all. The problem is believing all scary things people write all the time. That´s my opinion, and I already know that you don´t share that.

Scared of words people write is borderline clown behavior.

• Haha 1

I fully agree w/ JSixpack, NEVER download .dll files.

Please follow his advice.

DL and run the, well see post #4

As to 'Get Real', you'r nut'z to say such.

- I'm a old guy w/ 40 years in systems/IT

(so what).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HLover said:

Scared of words people write is borderline clown behavior.

When did I say scared of words people write. You really have to understand what you read better. I make it simple for you: I stated that you should not believe everything people write to scare you and other, because more than half ain´t true. Now you can go back to sleep again and refrain from more missleading comments that changes the original posts. 

5 hours ago, howto said:

I fully agree w/ JSixpack, NEVER download .dll files.

Please follow his advice.

DL and run the, well see post #4

As to 'Get Real', you'r nut'z to say such.

- I'm a old guy w/ 40 years in systems/IT

(so what).

Why would I be nutz???? Ok you have 40 years experience in IT. That will make you 10 year superior to me.
The problem, though, is that I have downloaded 100´s of DLL-files for my self and maybe 500 to fix others problems.
There has never been any problem. I say it´s because I know what I am doing. You will probably tey to state I have been lucky, and it´s extremely dangerous.
I will only say that the above facts speaks for it self.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

And that is an opinion from the writer, right?

The writer has no opinion about my own practice but would agree if he knew about it, since it matches his own--and that of any IT pro who knows what he's doing. You won't find any telling users to "just go download the missing .dll." :cheesy:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I just checked on my PC. I have seven different versions of that file on my PC in various directories.

If someone would just download a file how do you know it's the correct version? They all have the same filename.

This is why it's not a good idea to just download it or copy it from another PC.

Programs might work with the wrong version of the file, but there might be some unexpected problems. And these problems might not happen right away but weeks later. And who remembers then that copied file?

It's like putting the wrong sort of oil in an engine. It will probably work for some time, but there might be unexpected consequences later on...

A DLL file is a Dynamic Link Library, the key word is "Dynamic", it stores dynamic information, its a file that gets created and rewritten, a DLL file is software, computer, network, user specific ,different depending on lots of factors, its a library of specific information that gets rewritten, updated, created each time you boot up windows, open a program, change networks,change hardware, update a program etc etc. 

Replacing a DLL file is like replacing the contact list in my phone with the contact list from someone elses phone, yes it will work but it will be full of different information.

A computer may have a file called hardware.dll, inside this library will be a list of the computers current hardware, one mouse, one keyboard, 5 USB ports etc etc, Any program/app that needs to know the current hardware will go to this library file for the information. And its dynamic, it gets rewritten if hardware changes etc. If you downloaded a hardware.dll file from somewhere else, it will have other information in it and wont work.

The only way to fix a corrupt or missing DLL file is to reinstall the program that originally wrote, or updates the DLL file.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A DLL file is a Dynamic Link Library, the key word is "Dynamic", it stores dynamic information, its a file that gets created and rewritten, a DLL file is software, computer, network, user specific ,different depending on lots of factors, its a library of specific information that gets rewritten, updated, created each time you boot up windows, open a program, change networks,change hardware, update a program etc etc. 

Replacing a DLL file is like replacing the contact list in my phone with the contact list from someone elses phone, yes it will work but it will be full of different information.

A computer may have a file called hardware.dll, inside this library will be a list of the computers current hardware, one mouse, one keyboard, 5 USB ports etc etc, Any program/app that needs to know the current hardware will go to this library file for the information. And its dynamic, it gets rewritten if hardware changes etc. If you downloaded a hardware.dll file from somewhere else, it will have other information in it and wont work.

The only way to fix a corrupt or missing DLL file is to reinstall the program that originally wrote, or updates the DLL file.

Why do you post something like this when you have obviously absolutely no idea what you are talking about?

A DLL file does not store any "dynamic information"!

Just look at the size and last modified date of any of the DLL files on your PC. And then look again after using the computer for some time.

If no program was updated then all the DLL files will be exactly the same.

49 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do you post something like this when you have obviously absolutely no idea what you are talking about?

A DLL file does not store any "dynamic information"!

Just look at the size and last modified date of any of the DLL files on your PC. And then look again after using the computer for some time.

If no program was updated then all the DLL files will be exactly the same.

Yes you are right, was trying to make a simplistic explanation as to why you cant just change/replace a DLL in isolation. I know a DLL doesn't actually store the information, I suppose a better explanation would be that a DLL is common code, information, tasks etc, shared by executable programs.