Songkran 2018, for kids

XGM

Prepare to get drenched....the celebrations get more involved (worse IMHO) each year. 

Although authorities said no water on main roads, like other rules they are rarely enforced.

Sorry I know of any area suitable for young kids unless they want day long water fights/battles.

I've never tried Songkran with children so I don't know any areas that would be good.  I can definitely advise avoiding Loi Kroh and vicinity, which is where drunk, aggressive backpackers try to do as much damage to others as possible.  The general areas of ThaPae, Kad Suan Kaew, and Maya (I'm sure there are others) may be too loud, crowded, and aggressive for small children.  Streets inside the old city probably won't be too bad.

A lot depends on how young the children are.

3 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Although authorities said no water on main roads, like other rules they are rarely enforced.

A few guys already "playing water" on Chiang Mai - Doi Saket road (118) today.

My (nearly) five-year-old begged me to take her out, so we put on our bathing suits and drove around looking for a relatively 'safe' spot- I found a place with several other little ones where their parents (all Thai) had set up a small pool, and I asked if she could take part and join them for a bit- they were extremely friendly and welcoming (it was in front of a shop and I bought some drinks and food) and she had a great time for an hour.

I completely agree that it's difficult to find a good place for kids, though- I was watching her like a hawk the whole time as it was near the road and she's not in any way 'street-smart'.

Archived