General questions about visas

We are a UK family and hold UK passports.

My children will be attending an international school in Thailand starting August 2018, they will get the Non Ed visa. We have all the necessary documentation. However my sons passport expires in June 2019.

My wife can get the Non O visa. But we don't have a copy of her birth certificate. Only the children's birth certificates and our wedding certificate.

I work in Hong Kong but my job is flexible and I am able to remote work from Thailand for long periods, though I must make frequent trips back to Hong Kong for business meetings.

I am considering getting the Non Ed and learning the Thai language before going down the Non B and company establishment route.

Once I have a good handle on the Thai Language I want to apply for the Non B (business visa and work permit) and set up a company here. My business is financial market trading and I can do that from anywhere in the world.

Technically, I can get the Non O A as I am 50 years old, but I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. In fact I have not seen it in years and the application seems to say that I have to supply a birth certificate for myself. I guess the passport with the date of birth is not valid.

I have contacted a number of schools for language and also some lawyers for the company establishment but the answers are always non specific and generic.

So my questions are:

1. Can a non Ed visa then be changed to a Non B.

2. Do you require a birth certificate to apply for the Non O A in Thailand?

3. Does my wife require her birth certificate to apply for a Non O.

4. Can my wife work voluntarily on Non O. That is for no pay.

5. Can my son get a 1 year non Ed visa in a passport that only has 11 months remaining?

We plan on moving to Thailand in June and we have no opportunity to go back to the UK because of the school.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer these questions.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, joe china said:

My wife can get the Non O visa. But we don't have a copy of her birth certificate. Only the children's birth certificates and our wedding certificate.

Her birth certificate is not required. 

Technically, I can get the Non O A as I am 50 years old, but I don't have a copy of my birth certificate. In fact I have not seen it in years and the application seems to say that I have to supply a birth certificate for myself. I guess the passport with the date of birth is not valid.

Your birth certificate is not required to apply for a OA visa at the embassy in London. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

2. Do you require a birth certificate to apply for the Non O A in Thailand?

You can only apply for a OA visa at the embassy in London or a country where you have legal residence,

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. Your birth certificate is not required.

• Like 2

You can only apply for a OA visa at the embassy in London or a country where you have legal residence,
You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration here. Your birth certificate is not required.
Thanks Ubonjoe for such a quick response. I am actually resident in China. Going back to London will not happen until Christmas 2018 so getting the birth certificate is a nightmare. I shall apply for the Non O A and slowly start to retire.

Can you come and go as you wish from Thailand on a Non OA?

9 minutes ago, joe china said:

Thanks Ubonjoe for such a quick response. I am actually resident in China. Going back to London will not happen until Christmas 2018 so getting the birth certificate is a nightmare. I shall apply for the Non O A and slowly start to retire.

As I wrote a birth certificate is not needed to apply for a OA visa. FYI you can apply online to get a copy of your birth certificate. See: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can enter and leave the country as many time as want to for that year. After the visa expires you can get a multiple re-entry permit at immigration to keep the remainder for the last one year entry valid when you enter the country.

As I wrote another option is to apply for a one year extension at immigration that you can get a re-entry permit for that would allow you to leave and re-enter as many times as you want to for that year.

As I wrote a birth certificate is not needed to apply for a OA visa. FYI you can apply online to get a copy of your birth certificate. See: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. You can enter and leave the country as many time as want to for that year. After the visa expires you can get a multiple re-entry permit at immigration to keep the remainder for the last one year entry valid when you enter the country.
As I wrote another option is to apply for a one year extension at immigration that you can get a re-entry permit for that would allow you to leave and re-enter as many times as you want to for that year.
thanks for the information. much appreciated

29 minutes ago, joe china said:

Going back to London will not happen until Christmas 2018 so getting the birth certificate is a nightmare.

Getting a copy of your birth certificate is very easy. I applied for one online last year and received it within a few weeks. I'm not sure if they will post it directly to China, but you could get it sent to a family member's/friend's address in the UK who could forward it on to you.

32 minutes ago, joe china said:

Yes. If you can get one, this visa appears to be the best option for your situation.

56 minutes ago, joe china said:

4. Can my wife work voluntarily on Non O. That is for no pay.

No visa gives permission to work. You need to apply for a work permit. A work permit for voluntary work can be applied for with a non 'O' visa. Unless your wife is working for an official NGO/voluntary agency she won't get a work permit. Helping out occasionally in the community doesn't usually qualify for a work permit, and usually isn't required. When you know the employer/nature of the voluntary work you can ask at the local labour office who will be able to advise.

1 hour ago, joe china said:

5. Can my son get a 1 year non Ed visa in a passport that only has 11 months remaining?

No problem getting a non 'ED' visa from an embassy/consulate. And he can get a 1 year extension of stay once in Thailand, but it will be limited to the time remaining on the passport. New passports can be applied for in Sukhumvit, Bangkok, and usually only take a couple of weeks. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I work in Hong Kong but my job is flexible and I am able to remote work from Thailand for long periods, though I must make frequent trips back to Hong Kong for business meetings.

Keep your work to yourself. Technically, by law, you need permission to work while on Thai soil even if it's remotely for a foreign employer. Immigration/labour dept probably wouldn't be bothered if they found out, but it's best not to disclose your work as it could invalidate your permission to stay and lead to your expulsion from the country.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.

I also heard that a OA I need to get a criminal records check. I am not sure how to do that in china and for the UK. Will one from China be enough or will one from the UK be required too? Or is this also not necessary?

If it is a UK birth certificate you need then it can be done online unless it has changed recently.

I needed my birth certificate 2-3 years ago. Applied online paid by credit card and the birth certificate was with me in 3 weeks or so. Very straightforward.

If it is a UK birth certificate you need then it can be done online unless it has changed recently.
I needed my birth certificate 2-3 years ago. Applied online paid by credit card and the birth certificate was with me in 3 weeks or so. Very straightforward.
Thanks. Apparently I don't need it. Now trying to find out about the criminal records check. I have not lived in the UK for more than 10 years and lived in China for 5 years. I can probably get one from China but think it may be a big effort. So trying to understand if it is possible to apply with a Chinese one.

I also heard that a OA I need to get a criminal records check. I am not sure how to do that in china and for the UK. Will one from China be enough or will one from the UK be required too? Or is this also not necessary?

It appears they only want a criminal records check from China.

From Beijing embassy website. http://www.thaiembbeij.org/thaiembbeij/cn/thai-service/visa/

\image.png.6d161b3583c326101905cddbde6450ba.png