How to Book? Need hotels with plug-in internet around Thailand.

Happy Grumpy

I need plug-in internet as opposed to WiFi, and would need to book around 30 different hotels around Thailand.

Is there anyway to ensure this? For example a criteria added on a hotel booking site? The usual site I use for booking hotels only has a 'Free WiFi' criteria that you can select.

Any sound help/advice greatly received. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Get a wifi travel router for less than 2000 Baht. The router connects to the wifi, and your device via utp cable to the router. Then you're fine in any location with wifi only. 

How is this different to just connecting via WiFi?

Serious question. Thanks. Cable connection is an office stipulation, WiFi not allowed. 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Serious question. Thanks. Cable connection is an office stipulation, WiFi not allowed. 

I thought your device didn't have wifi. From a security point of view there is no difference. That said, even if there is a UTP connection in the room it is likely in newer buildings that it's connected wirelessly to the main router and the internet.

And strictly speaking you are connected by cable to your own travel router....

Does company regulations allow a 4g connection? Then use a 4g dongle or setup your phone as a hotspot. This is always more secure than any hotel network (wired or wireless). 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

4g dongle

Thanks.

So this would connect directly to my laptop via USB, then I would buy an internet package allowing me my own connection anywhere in Thailand? Can choose the speed? For example 30mbps, or 50mbps?

Thanks for the help.

I'd say you have a chicken's chance in Thailand of getting plug in internet in 30 hotels in LOS, and if you were to ring them up and ask they probably wouldn't even know what you were on about.

That's assuming you want to rent a room in every hotel as opposed to using the conference room, not that I know if you can get plug in, in conference rooms.

• Like 1

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/products/go-no-limit.html
dont know the eligibility for post paid versus prepaid
also be aware that what you are promised and what you actually get are likely to be two completely different beasts

Edited by Wang Lalker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

1mbps.

Useless for conferences. 

10mbps would be absolute minimum. 30mbps++ is okay. Typically 100mbps+ is what we're used to. 

4g is possible at 42mbps. Data packages are limited to a certain amount of data, after which speeds go down. These can then be upped again by paying online. Just walk into any dtac, true or ais shop and they can help you with a data sim and dongle. 

Ps. For full video conference 10mbps is more than sufficient, and with 4g you'll have the best chance of getting this speed also for upload. Most fixed wired connections have a dreadful upload speed. And forget about getting anything over 1mbps in a hotel, when sharing the connection with dozens or even hundreds of fellow guests. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the info.

These packages look good.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/4g-non-stop.html

But just finding out how much one uses, before it is capped down to almost nothing. For example, "4G/3G at maximum speed of 100Mbps, after reach 1.2 GB, able to use internet at maximum speed of 384Kbps. Valid 24 Hrs. "

Is there a way to test or see how much of the 1.2GB I am using? How much would one typically use on say a 1 hour skype video call?

Thanks. 

I believe majority of higher end hotels have LAN in each room. In the past couple years, so far I had stayed at Le Méridien Bangkok, Le Méridien Chiang MaiHilton Pattaya , Renaissance Phuket. They all had LAN in the rooms that I stayed, but never used it. I always use wifi.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

As they will never know, you do what you want and forget their stupid request.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gaff said:

As they will never know, you do what you want and forget their stupid request.

They will know if the Wifi connection is crap, and start inquiring as to where my location is (it will be visually different on the video streams) and what is my internet connection info. 

• Haha 1

Honestly, I think it would be difficult to find accommodation with fixed wire Interned connection, almost everywhere it's WiFi.

However, as others has suggested, a 4G router that you can connect with a wire. AIS, and probably also other providers, has one for around 2,500 baht excluding subscription and extra traffic; but check availability and speed for the locations you have in mind to stay. The map here might give you an idea...:smile:

• Thanks 1

^ Thanks very much. That map is perfect. :)

Interestingly enough Glasswire shows that a conference video call used less bandwidth than watching youtube. Which seemed a bit odd.

Looks like a 4G dongle into my laptop would work, with a 49thb 1.2Gb daily package from Dtac. 

Thanks for the help. 

On 16/04/2018 at 10:19 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Ah a corporate security requirement. To be honest wired internet in hotel rooms is quite scarce nowadays. WiFi networks are much cheaper to install.  I would expect using your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and a VPN service to cover the security concerns. You may be forced to only connect in a hotel with executive / office facilities where wired connection can be found....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

They will know if the Wifi connection is crap, and start inquiring as to where my location is (it will be visually different on the video streams) and what is my internet connection info. 

You mean like going back to the old fashioned wired arrangement where you had your own ADSL modem and plugged it into the telephone socket, even wire can be crap. Location is a separate issue and applicable to both WIFI or LAN.

I have been in many hotels even fairly good ones where the WIFI has been almost unusable, for some reason I always seem to get a room right at the end of the corridor.  As has been suggested your best bet is to use your phone as a hotspot and get a VPN. I do not have data on my phone so when we are out I use my laptop with my wife's phone and it works fairly well.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Your office should arrange it then. It's a daft idea..and impossible...or just buy or , they buy, a local data sim card. Whenever I travel I buy a local sim card with internet/data ..I Never rely on Wifi. I always use a VPN when using wifi.

Edited by The manic

was thinking if you need to buy a dongle for 4g why not just get a cheap 4g phone this one currently at ฿539.00 neeed to check that you can wire connect it and that its unlocked or look for similar elsewhere

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-super-4-2-4g-wifi-20gb-120-i154625717-s182277533.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.54bd13ddLg1frX&search=1

Edited by Wang Lalker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking if you need to buy a dongle for 4g why not just get a cheap 4g phone this one currently at ฿539.00 neeed to check that you can wire connect it and that its unlocked or look for similar elsewhere

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/true-super-4-2-4g-wifi-20gb-120-i154625717-s182277533.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.7.54bd13ddLg1frX&search=1

is it second hand ?